Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured bird?

• 28-08-2014 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭

My dog was barking, he never barks. I go outside and see a cat in the garden so I went out and tried to say hello but the cat ran away. Then I go to walk back into the house and theres a bird just beside the door. It obviously cant fly, otherwise it would have flew away with my dog barking and the cat approaching it.

edit- rang the wildlife sanctuary and said Id drop it down at 7, but they close at 7 so they said to keep it warm overnight but it probably wont make it. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

That is actually a baby pigeon. Could be a Rock Dove. That's probably why it can't fly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

mauzo! wrote: »

edit- rang the wildlife sanctuary and said Id drop it down at 7, but they close at 7 so they said to keep it warm overnight but it probably wont make it. :(

Try to put him in a large box with a hot water bottle - not too warm - wrapped in a blanket/towel in one corner, so if he's cold he can snuggle up to it, and if he's too warm he can move away a bit. Fair play for rescuing him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

mauzo! wrote: »
    My dog was barking, he never barks. I go outside and see a cat in the garden so I went out and tried to say hello but the cat ran away. Then I go to walk back into the house and theres a bird just beside the door. It obviously cant fly, otherwise it would have flew away with my dog barking and the cat approaching it.

it could possibly be in shock, my cat once caught a duck that flew into my back garden and i got there just in time to save it. But it looked like it was gonna die, so i brought it inside and 20 mins later it was back flying around

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's very dove-y looking alright, though I'd guess it's a collared dove?

Here's a link to a great "What to do when you find injured wildlife" website OP, hope the birdy will be okay :)
    http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/baby-bird.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hey DBB, that link is brilliant! I think it sould be made into a sticky, it could come in very handy (unless it's already there and I just haven't noticed it...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

DBB wrote: »
    It's very dove-y looking alright, though I'd guess it's a collared dove?

Here's a link to a great "What to do when you find injured wildlife" website OP, hope the birdy will be okay :)
    http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/baby-bird.html

That's what I mean! Lol a collared Dove!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

collared dove! great :)

he is very still but if I pick him up he lets me, then gets fed up and flies a foot or so.

hope he lasts the night, then we'll bring him to the wildlife sanctuary in the morning.

thanks guys!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

New Home wrote: »
    Hey DBB, that link is brilliant! I think it sould be made into a sticky, it could come in very handy (unless it's already there and I just haven't noticed it...)

Good idea!
    Aaannd done:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70051402&postcount=2

Thanks for the suggestion!:)

Advertisement