Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces special event - September 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

That is bullshít, I have both Nexus 5 and 7 for personal use and now have an iPhone 5 and Ipad for work. Those specs really are a cop out, more of the same holding back for Apple. It annoys me they I'm forced use Apple for work, it hinders my production compared to how easy I can do things on latest versions of Android. I have Googled and searched for shortcuts that make iOS less clunky but they just aren't there.

Have you tried iOS 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

kingtiger wrote: »
    Hmm highly dubious

Could you provide me a link?

Specs aren't as important on iOS as Android, its a much easier OS to run, although I'd say the top Android match iPhones, maybe iPhones have a slight edge when first lauched, but there's never much difference between the flagships.

Cheaper androids obviously don't compare, but you get what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

right, well ill let idiots enjoy their higher pixel count. not that i am getting the larger screen anyway but my trusty 4S needs an upgrade. So it's the 6.

Huh??? Can you not see that its disappointing release from Apple and regarding screen size its all about DPI and its a rather poor 401dpi on the 6+

Nexus 6 here I come, or am I an idiot for getting bang for my buck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

1920×
    1080 is the resolution. are people making stuff up?

On the plus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Cheaper androids obviously don't compare, but you get what you pay for

I'm not sure I'd agree with that anymore e.g. the Moto G absolutely flies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Watches are very popular :confused:
    I've got 5 but they're nice, dressy watches, I wouldn't put one of those on my wrist.

Really? They seem quite well designed to me, not cheap plastic like others.

In general I don't like watches so I'll have to see these in the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Zcott wrote: »
    Have you tried iOS 8?

No, it's locked down, I will need to wait for the official update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Huh??? Can you not see that its disappointing release from Apple and regarding screen size its all about DPI and its a rather poor 401dpi on the 6+

Nexus 6 here I come, or am I an idiot for getting bang for my buck?

Can your eyes see more than 401 dpi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm not sure I'd agree with that anymore e.g. the Moto G absolutely flies.

In comparison to the newest iPhone, the Moto G doesn't hold a candle, that's the comparison I was making. To match price points I'd back the Moto G over an iPhone 4 for example

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Here is the 5S and comparative benchmarks review from AnandTech
    isn
    CPU
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5

GPU
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/7

Obviously the 6 is not out yet, but it should be 20% faster and this is not the S - tock cycle.

Android phone manufactuers throw the best CPUs and GPUs but don't write the software, so they can't optimise.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 comfortably out benchs the iPhone 5S which out benched the SGS4 which was out 6 months earlier, they are on differing release cycles with Android flagships tending towards a May release and iPhone October, generally whichever is newer takes the benchmark crown.

• Advertisement

Who cares what benchmarks say. Most of the time yee are doing things that use about 10% of the CPU capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Ridiculous prices for the specs, only dual core, only 20% faster than cpu than in Iphone 5, only 1GB ram and only slightly better battery

I agree on RAM and Battery, but the CPU will be way ahead of the competition.

That is bullshít, I have both Nexus 5 and 7 for personal use and now have an iPhone 5 and Ipad for work. Those specs really are a cop out, more of the same holding back for Apple. It annoys me they I'm forced use Apple for work, it hinders my production compared to how easy I can do things on latest versions of Android. I have Googled and searched for shortcuts that make iOS less clunky but they just aren't there.

Well the actual benchmarks I presented prove the opposite. My experience is the opposite. My 4S seems faster than most of the Android ****e I have to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Who cares what benchmarks say. Most of the time yee are doing things that use about 10% of the CPU capability.

QFT. Apple devices aren't about specs, they're more about usability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

mdwexford wrote: »
    Is the only point of the iwatch just so you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket to check things? .

That was my thought aswell...and I am a watch fanatic

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Indeed which is why phones like the Moto G are now plenty fast enough, we reached the point of CPU's being fast enough some time ago now, so phones like the Moto G and the One Plus can be launched at savage price points with Soc's that are cheap and plenty powerful enough for a great user experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

When it comes to pixel sharpness, yes you can

You are quoting apple marketing bull crap, retina screen is nothing but a buzzword

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I'm happy with the pricing I paid £629 for 32gb 5S it's £619 for the 64GB iP6. I might go the extra £80 for the 128gb. Up north I will go.

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Samsung Galaxy S5 comfortably out benchs the iPhone 5S which out benched the SGS4 which was out 6 months earlier, they are on differing release cycles with Android flagships tending towards a May release and iPhone October, generally whichever is newer takes the benchmark crown.

Yes, but I was answering the people who think throwing a quad core into a Android device makes it faster than a dual core. The actual software matters. Apple can optimise.

In any case I don't think the guys in here with SUPER VISION were ever going to buy an iPhone even if the 6+ had twice the pixel density. Specs are often meaningless, the 64K in iPhones is meaningless too as it doesn't do much without more RAM.

You are quoting apple marketing bull crap, retina screen is nothing but a buzzword

What is pixel sharpness? Explain it to me in technical terms.

And I didn't quote anyone...

• Advertisement

Indeed which is why phones like the Moto G are now plenty fast enough, we reached the point of CPU's being fast enough some time ago now, so phones like the Moto G and the One Plus can be launched at savage price points with Soc's that are cheap and plenty powerful enough for a great user experience.

The argument seems to be changing through this thread. Hulk say iPhone not fast enough. Hulk proven wrong. Hulk say it don't matter Android cheaper.

Well the actual benchmarks I presented prove the opposite. My experience is the opposite. My 4S seems faster than most of the Android ****e I have to work with.

They actually don't prove the opposite, they were taken from the launch date of the iPhone 5S which was 6 months before the SGS5 came out, and 6 months after the SGS4 it actually compares against came out. It demonstrates my point rather than yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

yes

where did they say that?

Watched the video on their site and they never made mention of it

The argument seems to be changing through this thread. Hulk say iPhone not fast enough. Hulk proven wrong. Hulk say it don't matter Android cheaper.

My comment is more reflective of Smartphones in general of all flavours, it's now possible to buy a 120 euro phone that works excellently, and this undermines the need to buy Samsung, Apple or HTC's flagship phones. That didn't use to be the case, a couple of years ago the leaps and advances in the CPUs and GPUs made a real tangible difference to the user experience, nowadays these hardware spec bumps bring little to the end user except for higher benchmark scores in press articles.

You are the one fapping over higher DPI. I presume most people on here will get the 6 not the 6+. I personally would be happy with the new CPU, new GPU, motion sensors, LTE , faster WIFI and RAM upgrade I am getting in the 6 from the 4S but would prefer it were in fact the same size as the 4S.

I hate larger phones and couldn't give a fig about DPI beyond retina, which I don't really notice is much better than the pre-retina either. on the other hand my 3 year old phone will run the latest iOS next week and do it speedily. But I will upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Christ!...€1000 for the 128gb big one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Yes, thats a silly question.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Looking back at the watch, it's laughable that they were leaking that the Swiss will be worried. It's. A big lump of metal and glass on a strap. Like every other single smart watch out there. It's a poor fitness device as it relies on the phone. The withings activitie is a way classier design, a bit like apples old stuff, doing less but well. Not cramming piles of crap random emoji and drawing apps in.
    The garmin fitness devices are thinner and have gps built in, the lack of battery life info and the talk of overnight charging means to me it's only a day, and also means that it can't be a sleep tracker.

Possibly it will sell ok to apple fans but it's a big miss for me.

The iPhones I guess are not exciting because they were exactly as expected. Bigger and not much else. Camera upgrades fairly meh.

Payment system could be big.

All in all I'd say it was a big letdown, but they often are now as the leaks are so cleAr.

A bit dissapointed that the plus has premium battery life and camera etc. as I'd personably feel it's a crazy size for a phone.

I personally would be happy with the new CPU, new GPU, motion sensors, LTE , faster WIFI and RAM upgrade I am getting in the 6 from the 4S but would prefer it were in fact the same size as the 4S.

Ditto, except I prefer the iPhone 5/5S styling and construction.

• Advertisement

My comment is more reflective of Smartphones in general of all flavours, it's now possible to buy a 120 euro phone that works excellently, and this undermines the need to buy Samsung, Apple or HTC's flagship phones. That didn't use to be the case, a couple of years ago the leaps and advances in the CPUs and GPUs made a real tangible difference to the user experience, nowadays these hardware spec bumps bring little to the end user except for higher benchmark scores in press articles.

Your original comments were all about the disappointment with the DPI, and now you are a fan of low priced phones with cheap displays. Get it together.

Advertisement