Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces special event - September 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

only 1gb of RAM is crazy. how much extra would it be for them to bump up to 2gb? €10?

of course Android requires much more RAM with Java garbage collection but still.

i can't believe I'm considering spending €900 a phone when my Nexus 5 and OnePlusOne cost nearly a third each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

beno619 wrote: »
    Yes, thats a silly question.

Doh, you're right. I will rephrase it:

Can your eyes see any improvement in sharpness if the DPI is increased above and beyond 401, assuming you hold the screen in question approx 14 inches from your eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Ditto, except I prefer the iPhone 5/5S styling and construction.

I would have loved to have seen the 5S with the same specs at a lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I hate larger phones and couldn't give a fig about DPI beyond retina, which I don't really notice is much better than the pre-retina either. on the other hand my 3 year old phone will run the latest iOS next week and do it speedily. But I will upgrade.

That nonsense tbh, I wouldn't advocate 2k on a 4.7 inch screen. But if you look at android devices you can definitely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 4.7" display.

Wouldnt be so confident about your 3 year old device either. IOS 7 killed the 4 and will most likely do the same to the 4s.

copacetic wrote: »
    Looking back at the watch, it's laughable that they were leaking that the Swiss will be worried. It's. A big lump of metal and glass on a strap. Like every other single smart watch out there. It's a poor fitness device as it relies on the phone. The withings activitie is a way classier design, a bit like apples old stuff, doing less but well. Not cramming piles of crap random emoji and drawing apps in.
    The garmin fitness devices are thinner and have gps built in, the lack of battery life info and the talk of overnight charging means to me it's only a day, and also means that it can't be a sleep tracker.

Possibly it will sell ok to apple fans but it's a big miss for me.

The iPhones I guess are not exciting because they were exactly as expected. Bigger and not much else. Camera upgrades fairly meh.

Payment system could be big.

All in all I'd say it was a big letdown, but they often are now as the leaks are so cleAr.

A bit dissapointed that the plus has premium battery life and camera etc. as I'd personably feel it's a crazy size for a phone.

We haven't seen how it works yet in the wild. I agree it seemed to do too much, but it depends how quickly people get used to the controls. I doubt if Apple, if they seriously want to be a watch company, will stick with one design. ( Well they aren't already). In any case it will have to hands on.

I don't like watches much anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Your original comments were all about the disappointment with the DPI, and now you are a fan of low priced phones with cheap displays. Get it together.

If I am gonna drop a grand on a phone, I expect all the bells and whistles including industry leading display technology.

I also question how high prices like this can be justified by all parties in the face of the first really decent cheap smart phones to hit the shelves, such as the Moto G, and to an extent the One Plus.

That nonsense tbh, I wouldn't advocate 2k on a 4.7 inch screen. But if you look at android devices you can definitely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 4.7" display.

Wouldnt be so confident about your 3 year old device either. IOS 7 killed the 4 and will most likely do the same to the 4s.

No I have downloaded the beta, it's fine. The 4S was a massive spec bump from the 4. All the S cycles are. Unfortunately I missed the 5S cycle.

I disagree. You are just looking at a better quality screen. It is not the DPI that makes it better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Any replays of the event up yet?

Doh, you're right. I will rephrase it:

Can your eyes see any improvement in sharpness if the DPI is increased above and beyond 401, assuming you hold the screen in question approx 14 inches from your eyes?

Yes. Why would you hold your phone so far way though ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

What is pixel sharpness? Explain it to me in technical terms.

And I didn't quote anyone...

You can Google all the tech explations you want

The simple fact is more PPI equals a better screen

The LG G3 is living proof

Yes. Why would you hold your phone so far way though ?

Humm I just held it up at what I normally do. Seems like 14 inches. Maybe 12. What do you hold yours at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Can your eyes see more than 401 dpi ?

Loosely speaking I believe most people wouldn't notice the difference of anything over 300dpi at arms length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

With regards to buying in the US, is there any problems with using it here? Tried research and got posts about different models for LTE or something, for different countries? Totally out of the loop here, a basic overview would be appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

A free U2 album? I feel sick.

kingtiger wrote: »
    You can Google all the tech explations you want

The simple fact is more PPI equals a better screen

The LG G3 is living proof

We will agree to disagree. I have seen phones with much higher PPIs than my phone and the screens were not as good (colour accuracy, black levels etc.)

We will agree to disagree. I have seen phones with much higher PPIs than my phone and the screens were not as good (colour accuracy, black levels etc.)

I am not here to slag of Apple, I'm fact I was hoping for something a lot better and was sorely disappointed with the 6.

Its specs don't weigh up to the competition

I disagree. You are just looking at a better quality screen. It is not the DPI that makes it better IMO.

Are you speaking from experience, can you list the devices ?

HTC One X, 720p had a better display in term of colour accuracy, viewing angles.

HTC One m7, 1080p was inferior in every was except DPI which was noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

How did you get it fixed outside the warrant, how does that work?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Why is it at the product launches we get the Android fans over to spout about how poor the Apple product is, even though they've no intention of ever buying anything Apple. I thought there was a charter to stop this crap.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Why is it at the product launches we get the Android fans over to spout about how poor the Apple product is, even though they've no intention of ever buying anything Apple. I thought there was a charter to stop this crap.

Maybe some people are just plain phone fans and would love a reason to purchase an iPhone ?

Discussing the merits and comparison with Android/WP8 devices is very relevant.

whiterebel wrote: »

Hold on, I am a tech fan

so if I don't tow the line and be critical of a device that doesn't meet my expectations, I am not allowed post?

Wtf is this? Nazi Germany?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hold on, I am a tech fan

so if I don't tow the line and be critical of a device that doesn't meet my expectations, I am not allowed post?

no but it is an apple forum on a major launch day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Hold on, I am a tech fan

And it only took 14 pages to reach Godwin's Law......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

iphone6_htctweet-578-80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Aodhagan wrote: »

111.65 for a perfect iPhone 5s 16gb locked to a network. I can't even.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

dmcg90 wrote: »
    111.65 for a perfect iPhone 5s 16gb locked to a network. I can't even.

The Dataserv trade in values are a bit on the brutal side alright. :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Simon201 wrote: »
    Christ!...€1000 for the 128gb big one!

Its €899, not €1000.
    not that it makes much difference to me though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

With regards to buying in the US, is there any problems with using it here? Tried research and got posts about different models for LTE or something, for different countries? Totally out of the loop here, a basic overview would be appreciated! :)

Warranty issues and out of warranty claims will not be entertained from Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭Jofspring

kceire wrote: »
    Its €899, not €1000.
    not that it makes much difference to me though.

The iPhone 6+ is 999euro

Advertisement