Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces special event - September 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

kceire wrote: »
    Its €899, not €1000.
    not that it makes much difference to me though.
    Nope, the 128GB version is indeed €999.

http://store.apple.com/ie/buy-iphone/iphone6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

kceire wrote: »
    Its €899, not €1000.
    not that it makes much difference to me though.
    Its 999, the 64gb is 899

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Oh no! The most fully featured model is the most expensive! How dare they?

*cough* Cars *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Interesting how Apple seem to be deviating away from the 'i' naming convention with Apple Pay and Apple Watch - was sure to see 'iWatch' being thrown around today.

Can't say I'm blown away by any means by the Apple Watch, but maybe I'm not their target market. They certainly spent time and effort ensuring it was a fashion accessory as well as a piece of technology, but I still think the circular screen of the Moto 360 is the more elegant solution. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 2nd Gen Apple Watch comes with a circular screen. In saying that, features such as the haptic feedback are very nicely done.

As for the iPhones, there is nothing surprising thanks to the leaks. I do love how they implemented Touch ID with Apple Pay, it does seem like a secure way to pay. How this will be implemented into stores/banks internationally will be interesting to see. It also seems Apple are blurring lines between the iPad and the iPhone 6 Plus. It is borderline iPad Mini territory after all, with the huge screen. Unfortunately, the price of the 6 Plus is the huge differentiator between the two.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

kingtiger wrote: »
    I am not here to slag of Apple, I'm fact I was hoping for something a lot better and was sorely disappointed with the 6.

Its specs don't weigh up to the competition

But as I pointed out iPhones always trounce the opposition in benchmarks. The obsession with certain specs( which changes) is a fan droid affectation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Jofspring wrote: »
    The iPhone 6+ is 999euro
    Nope, the 128GB version is indeed €999.

http://store.apple.com/ie/buy-iphone/iphone6

Was quoting the 6 prices, not the 6+, apolagies.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Interesting how Apple seem to be deviating away from the 'i' naming convention with Apple Pay and Apple Watch - was sure to see 'iWatch' being thrown around today.

Can't say I'm blown away by any means by the Apple Watch, but maybe I'm not their target market. They certainly spent time and effort ensuring it was a fashion accessory as well as a piece of technology, but I still think the circular screen of the Moto 360 is the more elegant solution. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 2nd Gen Apple Watch comes with a circular screen. In saying that, features such as the haptic feedback are very nicely done.

As for the iPhones, there is nothing surprising thanks to the leaks. I do love how they implemented Touch ID with Apple Pay, it does seem like a secure way to pay. How this will be implemented into stores/banks internationally will be interesting to see. It also seems Apple are blurring lines between the iPad and the iPhone 6 Plus. It is borderline iPad Mini territory after all, with the huge screen. Unfortunately, the price of the 6 Plus is the huge differentiator between the two.....

Yeah. It's just too big. I hope it fails and they stick with the 4".

The obsession with contract prices is meaningless. Apple can command pretty good subsidies from carriers which is where they are normally bought. People who traditionally buy off contract have a trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

What's the General consensus?

Lucas Hood wrote: »

I like the 6, I think I will sell the 5, get a cheap upgrade, sell that and buy the 6 in Belfast or pre order from the Irish site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I keep checking in on Apple product launches and I'm eternally underwhelmed. I remember having a Palm pilot and being blown away by the original iPhone. What a product. Unfortunately I joined a company where Blackberry's were the only phone available and I used them for a few years. By time I could chose my own phone I couldn't justify paying the Apple Premium Vs cheaper Androids which offered more bang for my (personal) buck.

Having watched the latest product launch I'm once again amazed that Apple have lost so much ground Vs other smartphone brands but are still able to wrap catch up features in the blanket of premium innovation e.g. landscape mode!! Welcome to 2010.

I ordered a OnePlusOne (www.oneplus.net) this week and I was concerned I'd have buyers remorse if Tim Cook finally stepped out of Steve Jobs shadow and delivered something which leapfrogged the competition the way the iPhone One did to Palm etc. I needn't have worried. The OPO, for £280 gives me

A 2.5Ghz quad core processor.
    3GB Ram.
    64GB RAM.
    A 1080p HD screen.
    A 13mB rest camera.
    A 5mb front camera.
    A fully open OS which I can customise however I want.
    Access to Apps direct from independent developers as well as the official store.
    Inexpensive industry standard chargers available everywhere.

And it's unlocked!

I guess marketing and branding still means more to a lot of people than what's under the hood and functionality.

No buyers remorse....... Again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

AUutyU1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Available to order on the 26th, I wonder how long it take to deliver??

BenThere wrote: »
    I keep checking in on Apple product launches and I'm eternally underwhelmed. I remember having a Palm pilot and being blown away by the original iPhone. What a product. Unfortunately I joined a company where Blackberry's were the only phone available and I used then for a few years. By time I could chose my own phone I couldn't justify paying the Apple Premium Vs cheaper Androids which offered more bang for my (personal) buck.

Having watched the latest product launch I'm once again amazed that Apple have lost so much ground Vs other smartphone brands but are still able to wrap catch up features in the blanket of premium innovation e.g. landscape mode!! Welcome to 2010 😂

I ordered a OnePlusOne (www.oneplus.net) this week and I s concerned I'd have buyers remorse of Tim Cook finally stepped out of Steve Jobs shadow and delivered something which leapfrogged the competition the way the iPhone One did to Palm etc. I needn't have worried. The OPO, for £280 gives me

3GB Ram.
    64GB RAM.
    A 1080p HD screen.
    A 13mB rest camera.
    A 5mb front camera.
    Access to Apps direct from independent developers as well as the official store.

And it's unlocked!

I guess marketing and branding still means more to a lot of people than what's under the hood and functionality.

I suppose its personal choice, there's also people out there that wouldn't touch one of those one plus things for their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Dman001 wrote: »

IIRC there were a couple of trademark disputes over the iWatch name, particularly with swatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

No 32GB version, I say they do it so most people might go for 64GB than 16GB

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    It's Apple, there will never be a consensus! I don't own any Apple products, but here's what I think.

I think the new phones will do well. Apple was getting hit hard by the likes of Samsung and phablets, so now they have a direct competitor in this rapidly growing segment.

Apple Pay looks promising, but it's at a very, very early stage. It needs buy-in from retailers, and knowing how slow things go here in Ireland, it'll be quite some time before it takes off.

The Watch while it looks nice and is the best thought out wearable I've seen looks very expensive for what it is. At €350, there'll be no carrier subsidy, so I just can't see it selling in numbers anywhere near the iPad or iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I keep checking in on Apple product launches and I'm eternally underwhelmed. I remember having a Palm pilot and being blown away by the original iPhone. What a product. Unfortunately I joined a company where Blackberry's were the only phone available and I used them for a few years. By time I could chose my own phone I couldn't justify paying the Apple Premium Vs cheaper Androids which offered more bang for my (personal) buck.

Having watched the latest product launch I'm once again amazed that Apple have lost so much ground Vs other smartphone brands but are still able to wrap catch up features in the blanket of premium innovation e.g. landscape mode!! Welcome to 2010.

I ordered a OnePlusOne (www.oneplus.net) this week and I was concerned I'd have buyers remorse if Tim Cook finally stepped out of Steve Jobs shadow and delivered something which leapfrogged the competition the way the iPhone One did to Palm etc. I needn't have worried. The OPO, for £280 gives me

3GB Ram.
    64GB RAM.
    A 1080p HD screen.
    A 13mB rest camera.
    A 5mb front camera.

And it's unlocked!

I'd buy an Android if it had the App Store.

nava wrote: »

nah, it would be financial suicide to get rid of the 16gb, it allows them to enter the 6 at a lower price point for the younger generation to get it, either from their parents, or for people who will spend less.

the 64gb is only 20 more than what the 32gb was for the IP5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭Jofspring

nava wrote: »

Price for 64gb is the same price as the 32gb 5s was last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

3GB Ram.
    64GB RAM.
    A 1080p HD screen.
    A 13mB rest camera.
    A 5mb front camera.

And it's unlocked!

And no proper European LTE support. Deal breaker for me.

I'd buy an Android if it had the App Store.
    What apps could you not get on the Play Store? If not Android versions of the same exact app, different apps which do the same job?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Dear Android fanboys who constantly post on threads about apple complaining. Why? Do you have nothing better to be doing that complaining about apple. I like apple products and guess what I like Android as well. I'm actually writing this from my nexus 5 while earlier I watched the keynote on my apple TV and iPad.

Some people don't want be massive phablets like Galaxy notes or massive 5 inch phones. They just want something they can use whoth one hand and use easy. They don't want all the customisable features of android many of which are extremely daunting to the new user so many people don't last long on android.

Secondly let's face it for people who aren't good at technology iOS is great as its easy to use and accessible.

Also let's even ye have to admit that Apple innovated and brought many products such as the iPad main stream. They also have been huge innovaters in the past number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

But as I pointed out iPhones always trounce the opposition in benchmarks. The obsession with certain specs( which changes) is a fan droid affectation.

so once again if you are critical of an Apple device your are labeled a "fandroid"

face it Apple dropped the ball on the 6, the bezel is massive, no sapphire glass, only a 1080 screen with crappy PPI and 1 gig of ram

its the most disappointing iPhone ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Jofspring wrote: »
    Price for 64gb is the same price as the 32gb 5s was last year.

It's £10 pounds cheaper this year the 5s 32gb was £629.

And no proper European LTE support. Deal breaker for me.

Two things:

1. I get 10mb download speeds on my existing non 4g phone which is more than I need for anything phone based.

2, I can use the OPO 4g functionality on Three in Ireland and the UK and (I think) Meteor here plus other networks in Europe is I need to but as I spend less than 5% of my time outside Ireland and the UK and of that 80% is in offices/hotels and hospitality venues with WiFi I really don't think the 1% I'll be without 4g or WiFi access will every be an issue.

kingtiger wrote: »
    so once again if you are critical of an Apple device your are labeled a "fandroid"

face it Apple dropped the ball on the 6, the bezel is massive, no sapphire glass, only a 1080 screen with crappy PPI and 1 gig of ram

its the most disappointing iPhone ever

iPhone does this, M8 does that, Nexus does this, Galaxy 5 does that, all made in china, all do the same thing a little differently, let each individual pick what phone they want themselves.

The way some people go on as if they had shares in apple or android FFS.
    Two things:

1. I get 10mb download speeds on my existing non 4g phone which is more than I need for anything phone based.

2, I can use the OPO 4g functionality on Three in Ireland and the UK and (I think) Meteor here plus other networks in Europe is I need to but as I spend less than 5% of my time outside Ireland and the UK and of that 80% is in offices/hotels and hospitality venues with WiFi I really don't think the 1% I'll be without 4g or WiFi access will every be an issue.

And they same set up can be done on an iPhone, a Galaxy S, a Nexus or whatever, you choose your phone, the other guy choose his phone, don't try convert each other, it wont happen.

Posted from my Windows PC, while my iPhone is charging and my Galaxy S3 is backing up over WiFi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Had every iPhone from 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 and then last year i went for a note 3 and being honest notting will make me go back to a iPhone the freedom i have with everything on my Note and having it set up the way i won't my my phone is 1000% better then iOS. The apps are the same on both phones.

I look at last year paid €139 for my phone on a 12 month contract with emobile the day the note 3 came out tell me would you get the same spec phone of apple for that price ?.

Before anyone says i am a note fan boy or something like that i am a user of a apple macbook pro retina as my laptop and i won't use anything else as my laptop as apple make great laptops but there phones not so great anymore for there prices

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

My Raymond Weil and tag Monaco are watches that can be handed down to your kids when you're brown bread as where the apple watches battery will be dead and it'll probably be apple watch 35 at that stage!

Will be buying the phone but won't decide till I see them together.

• Advertisement

Before anyone says i am a note fan boy or something like that i am a user of a apple macbook pro retina as my laptop and i won't use anything else as my laptop as apple make great laptops but there phones not so great anymore for there prices

^^^^ This nails it. The king has no clothes any more guys. It's sad but true.

Advertisement