Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces special event - September 9th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

kingtiger wrote: »
    so once again if you are critical of an Apple device your are labeled a "fandroid"

face it Apple dropped the ball on the 6, the bezel is massive, no sapphire glass, only a 1080 screen with crappy PPI and 1 gig of ram

its the most disappointing iPhone ever

They haven't dropped the ball. I'm underwhelmed for sure, but anything over 1080p on a phone is a waste. 441 PPI is very high considering the 'crappy' PPI currently is far from that to begin with. I can't see any pixels.

I still would've liked 2GB RAM for the future, but my 5a already runs so smooth as is.

I'll bite when they incorporate the 5.5" specs in the 4.7", add 2GB RAM and sapphire. It's already thin enough with a great camera.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

My Raymond Weil and tag Monaco are watches that can be handed down to your kids when you're brown bread as where the apple watches battery will be dead and it'll probably be apple watch 35 at that stage!

Will be buying the phone but won't decide till I see them together.

I'm sorry but I didn't know that Raymond Weil and Monaco made smart watches. Oh ya that's because they don't. People who buy an Apple Watch are looking for a SMART WATCH not a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Does anyone know if the iPhone can be preorder on the 12th for store pickup?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭paulthom8

Still use my iPod Nano with the Lunatik rubber band.
    Still get asked about it when it's on my arm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mad muffin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the iPhone can be preorder on the 12th for store pickup?

Don't think so.
    12th for UK delivery.
    19th in store (normal que expected)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've always had Android phones but buying the M7 has been terrible experience. Purple haze camera problem at night and often problems being heard when I call people. My work 5S has me thinking of moving my personal phone to Apple. It's the M8 or IP6 for me next.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

If only Apple had made the new iPhone will a killer battery, that's the one thing that I hate about my 5 and the 6 isn't much better. If Sony and HTC can do it, why can't Apple? Apple have the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭Jofspring

TheZohan wrote: »
    If only Apple had made the new iPhone will a killer battery, that's the one thing that I hate about my 5 and the 6 isn't much better. If Sony and HTC can do it, why can't Apple? Apple have the resources.

That is something thats annoying me a little but still the only time I don't get a full day out of my iphone is when I excessively use it throughout the day. Listening to music, texting, phone calls, chatting on vibe/whats app, Facebook, playing games, twitter, instagram etc... and its easy to see why it goes down so fast. The iPhone charges really fast too so half an hour charge usually gets me back up to the 40% mark when I need it quick.

My wifi on the iPhone 5 can be rubbish though. On a few occasions mates with samsungs have been picking up wifi boxes from quiet a distance that I cannot unless I get much closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

TheZohan wrote: »

Honestly, I would probably have picked up the 6 if they'd kept the thickness and made the battery bigger.

I am so sick of Apple and its obsession with paper thin design, give me a good battery so I can actually use my damn phone all day without having to charge it by 7pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

BenThere wrote: »
    What apps could you not get on the Play Store? If not Android versions of the same exact app, different apps which do the same job?

I've got an Android tablet and TV box and find the Play Store to have so much crap it takes forever to find anything decent. No Sky Go either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

If you're getting into the whole Android Vs iPhone debate, the problem isn't the spec of the iPhone, but the price. iPhones aren't priced to be bought unlocked. Sure, the option is there but 9/10 people are going to buy it subsidised. That's fine if you're in the US, where PAYG isn't a big thing and shelling out $199 on a two year contact to receive the latest smartphone is the norm, with competitive rates available. In Europe, especially Ireland, you've ridiculous iPhone-specific plans that are non-competitive and choice is minimal. This would have been somewhat acceptable the first iPhone came out, but things have moved on a long way since and looks seriously outdated now. Unfortunately, people are willing to pay for that and so carriers here still offer it.

Meanwhile, Andoird has come on leaps and bounds the last two years. Prices have become more competitive, and it's becoming more the norm for manufacturers to put 'vanilla' Android on their devices instead of the terrible custom software.

I've got an Android tablet and TV box and find the Play Store to have so much crap it takes forever to find anything decent. No Sky Go either.

Sky Go is on Android.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bskyb.skygo&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dsky+go+android&pcampaignid=APPU_qXUPVNPcGOuO7Qbzr4HICw

Apologies for the huge link, on mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Same here, good as android is on phones it's still behind iOS when it comes to tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The Sony Xperia Z1 has a spectacular battery, I can't understand why Apple can't get similar performance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

kingtiger wrote: »
    Hold on, I am a tech fan

so if I don't tow the line and be critical of a device that doesn't meet my expectations, I am not allowed post?

Wtf is this? Nazi Germany?

Careful, you'll bust your knicker elastic if you get any more hysterical :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Sonics2k wrote: »

Must be only recent enough, it wasn't on it for ages. Not great reviews...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I'm sorry but I didn't know that Raymond Weil and Monaco made smart watches. Oh ya that's because they don't. People who buy an Apple Watch are looking for a SMART WATCH not a watch.

So they can get the time on their phone and check facebook on their watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The watch actually looks pretty impressive from what I've seen online.
    I'd have to see one in person before I could make any kind of judgement though as the video was just really, really, slick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

One reason I never wanted to leave Android was Swiftkey, with that coming to iOS 8 that makes me very happy

About a year now I think. The app works well enough, nothing amazing. Doesn't work on rooted devices at all, which is annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

That is down to the developers no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I've had an iPhone since the 4 and haven't been tempted to move away - probably in part because I'm a pretty casual user and iOS seems to be the easiest to use - but I'm not seeing a massive amount in this announcement to really get me interested. I'm not moaning, or trying to have a go at Apple, it just looks to me like a spit and a polish being added to the phone I already have. Which, I'd assume, makes it a good phone, but maybe not the leap people were hoping for.

It'll probably come down to the feel of the phone and how it functions when I get to try it, but I might actually start having a look around for an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Are the new iCloud prices available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What are you maniacs doing that requires you to be comparing benchmark results?

It's like seeing play station vs Xbox 12 year olds screaming from either side trying to say who's got better exclusives with this android vs osx stuff.

€900 for the 6+ is too much for me though, 750 for the 5 32gb was about as far as I was willing to go. I'll likely run this into the ground and see what my options are then.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Are the new iCloud prices available in Ireland?

Yes, 99c for 20GB, 3.99 for 200GB, 9.99 for 500GB and 19.99 for 1TB

http://www.apple.com/ie/icloud/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This forum gets flooded annually with iPhone launches about new iPhones being 'Meh' and underwhelmed etc catching up with Android/Samsung etc.

These people who worry so much about DPI, 1gb ram, camera specs and even quad core v dual core (really not important in phones) are completely ignoring what Apple customers like.

Well built, nice looking phones (better looking than any Samsung imho), features like touch id and now Pay.

Also some people like myself just like the look and feel of iOS8 that simply works, is secure and never lets me down.

People saying Apple in trouble every year but each year they sell loads, I'd reckon at least 60% of people on my morning Dart commute use iPhones so they must be doing someting right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

Looks like it's greatly overpriced for it's spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yes, 99c for 20GB, 3.99 for 200GB, 9.99 for 500GB and 19.99 for 1TB

http://www.apple.com/ie/icloud/

Cheers. Tried upgrading on my phone a while ago and got old prices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Then I guess you won't be buying one. Good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Apple have huge profit margins on all their products

Advertisement