Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces special event - September 9th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ShaneU wrote: »
    Apple have huge profit margins on all their products

How does it compare to a similar sim free android? Say the M8 or Galaxy S5?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Not too far off actually, the build quality and OS are worth the extra few bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

kceire wrote: »
    the problem is the s5 and m8 are far superior phones.so no real comparison imho.the nexus 4 would be on par with the 4.7 iphone 6 and it,s 299 sim free:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

kceire wrote: »

Iphone 5s costs $206 to make, sells at $700

Galaxy s5 costs $256 to make, sell at $600

These don't include research and development costs, just manufacturing and components.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

massy086 wrote: »
    the problem is the s5 and m8 are far superior phones.so no real comparison imho.the nexus 4 would be on par with the 4.7 iphone 6 and it,s 299 sim free:eek::eek:

The nexus 4 isn't even in the same ball park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

As the Apple Ireland store starts selling these on 26th, is it safe to assume that's the day carriers will have them ? I think that's how it worked in previous years.

One week delay on the main markets isn't bad. I was a bit worried when they didn't give dates at the event, apart from "by the end of the year"

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Was just wondering the same ^^, Will it be in Vodafone etc on 26th?

Also when will IOS8 be released?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Classicporter

The iPhone 6 is is beautiful phone, might make me return to apple from android.

massy086 wrote: »

Emm ok. That's your opinion. You stick with android. That's what makes personal choice so appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

slookie wrote: »

iOS 8 next wednesday, \i am sure I read.

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    Iphone 5s costs $206 to make, sells at $700

Galaxy s5 costs $256 to make, sell at $600

These don't include research and development costs, just manufacturing and components.

So very similar RRP for both. That's what I thought tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

The iPhone 6 is is beautiful phone, might make me return to apple from android.

I feel the 6 plus looks quite like a Note 2?
    I remember how much fun was poked at me when I bought my note 2 ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Having had 3 android phones in the past I would never touch that OS again. There is more stability in Ukraine than there is in that OS! I would pay the extra knowing that I get a superior build quality and a proper OS(in iOS). I can see why the Android devices may have more power and RAM in their devices to cope with all the background sh*te running in that OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Not too far off actually, the build quality and OS are worth the extra few bob.

I'd put HTC quite far ahead of Apple now, in fact a lot of design patterns have been copied from the m7 & m8 though it's gone wrong . It's possibly the least attractive iPhone since 3/3gs.

OS is a personal choice I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Having had 3 android phones in the past I would never touch that OS again.

3 android phones is quite broad, would you mind listing the devices ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

slookie wrote: »

The iOS 8 Gold Master version was released last night so is available to download by anyone. No developer account needed. The GM version is usually the same as the final launch version.

I just updated mine this morning.

http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ios-8-gm-leaked-heres-download-ios-8-your-iphone-right-now-0157312/

beno619 wrote: »
    3 android phones is quite broad, would you mind listing the devices ?

Xperia Play(It was marketed as the Playstation Phone, i'm a sucker for games!), Samsung Galaxy SII, and Samsung Galaxy S3.

Was sick of the Android OS and the general instability of it. Sold the Galaxy S3 for the iPhone 5S and will never switch back.

Would give Windows Phone OS a try but the lack of essential apps I use day to day(banking apps etc) are missing from the Windows Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I missed the show last night. Anywhere I can watch it today ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I missed the show last night. Anywhere I can watch it today ?

http://www.apple.com/live/2014-sept-event/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

They are bloody expensive, I imagine most will buy them on contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Xperia Play(It was marketed as the Playstation Phone, i'm a sucker for games!), Samsung Galaxy SII, and Samsung Galaxy S3.

Was sick of the Android OS and the general instability of it. Sold the Galaxy S3 for the iPhone 5S and will never switch back.

Would give Windows Phone OS a try but the lack of essential apps I use day to day(banking apps etc) are missing from the Windows Store.

None of those are any great shakes, especially the Samsung phones which are overhyped. Moved from a 5S to an S5 and it's not as polished. Compare it to the One M8 and it's a different story where the M8 is a nicer day to day device. I chop and change between the two operating systems and most of the issues people experience are with lower end devices on Android.

Hats off to Apple, with lower on paper specs they do seem to deliver a great user experience from what is nowadays looked on as relatively little.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

They are bloody expensive, I imagine most will buy them on contract?

True, the same as most high end smartphones and every other iPhone previously released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Am disappointed they didn't release an updated ipod touch.

None of those are any great shakes, especially the Samsung phones which are overhyped. Moved from a 5S to an S5 and it's not as polished. Compare it to the One M8 and it's a different story where the M8 is a nicer day to day device. I chop and change between the two operating systems and most of the issues people experience are with lower end devices on Android.

Hats off to Apple, with lower on paper specs they do seem to deliver a great user experience from what is nowadays looked on as relatively little.

Well keep in mind I got those handsets when they came out at the time. But yeah its the OS that wins it for me in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Many people here going for the 128gb version?

The 64gb seems like a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Many people here going for the 128gb version?

The 64gb seems like a no brainer.

64gb iPhone 6 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Graham wrote: »
    True, the same as most high end smartphones and every other iPhone previously released.

Except with the iPhone 6 you pay a lot more and get a lot less

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

my jammy wife has the 6 plus in work.

loh_oro wrote: »
    Except with the iPhone 6 you pay a lot more and get a lot less

please explain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

godtabh wrote: »
    my jammy wife has the 6 plus in work.

Who does she work for. Apple?

Advertisement