Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces special event - September 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

So, I'm starting to see conflicting information regards to the RAM. I'm seeing a few people say it's actually 2GB. Is this confirmed anywhere because 1GB was a no sale for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

godtabh wrote: »
    my jammy wife has the 6 plus in work.

Pray tell?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So, I'm starting to see conflicting information regards to the RAM. I'm seeing a few people say it's actually 2GB. Is this confirmed anywhere because 1GB was a no sale for me.

would people genuinely notice the difference?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

She is in the same office as two of the irish carriers and sits beside the product managers. She said hes has had a little play with it but thats it so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Having had 3 android phones in the past I would never touch that OS again. There is more stability in Ukraine than there is in that OS! I would pay the extra knowing that I get a superior build quality and a proper OS(in iOS). I can see why the Android devices may have more power and RAM in their devices to cope with all the background sh*te running in that OS.

Most likely the apps you use rather than the OS.
    Samsung Galaxy SII, and Samsung Galaxy S3.

Was sick of the Android OS and the general instability of it. Sold the Galaxy S3 for the iPhone 5S and will never switch back.

Actually, you weren't even using vanilla Android with those two phones. They're loaded with the horrible Samsung Touchwiz layer on top of Android so you can't base your Android experience on those two phones anyway. Don't know what the Sony is like and if they do similar with modifying the OS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

kceire wrote: »
    please explain?

Nooooo, now we're going to be force fed waffle about extra processors (that are only ever switched on for benchmarking apps) and the benefits of an an SD slot all packaged up and sold for the price of a Kit-Kat (see what I did there :pac:).

would people genuinely notice the difference?

Yes. The iPad Air can be a pain in the hole with reloading of tabs.

Yes. The iPad Air can be a pain in the hole with reloading of tabs.

I missed the new iPad air announcement but I do agree that browser tabs reloading is a pain.

Not something I've ever noticed on the iPhone though but that could be down to different browsing habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

please explain?

Lumia 1520: €550
    Same resolution,
    Better battery,
    larger screen,
    32GB of storage,
    2GB of ram,
    Camera is in a different league,
    More durable,

Iphone 6 Plus 16GB: €800
    finger print scanner,
    and that's really all it has over the Lumia 1520....

Price difference: €250

add another 100 to the difference and I could buy a nexus 5 that has similar specs from the difference in price

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

loh_oro wrote: »
    Same resolution,
    Better battery,
    larger screen,
    32GB of storage,
    2GB of ram,
    More durable,

finger print scanner,

add another 100 to the difference and I could buy a nexus 5 that has similar specs from the difference in price

Don't forget that Windows Phone is a frustrating OS to use though, comes nowhere near iOS or Android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Same resolution,
    Better battery,
    larger screen,
    32GB of storage,
    2GB of ram,
    More durable,

finger print scanner,

Wow that's expensive. People will still buy it though regardless!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Same resolution,
    Better battery,
    larger screen,
    32GB of storage,
    2GB of ram,
    More durable,

finger print scanner,

That's really super, would you mind starting a thread all about it in the Windows mobile/Android forum. That way I can pop in and discuss it with you at length.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

dulpit wrote: »
    Don't forget that Windows Phone is a frustrating OS to use though, comes nowhere near iOS or Android.

In what way ?

Graham wrote: »
    I missed the new iPad air announcement but I do agree that browser tabs reloading is a pain.

Not something I've ever noticed on the iPhone though but that could be down to different browsing habits.

iPad Air 2 hasn't been announced. It's also for future proofing, as it is when Safari and the OS can gobble up 80pc of you're available RAM it doesn't leave much wiggle room. They really should have bumped up the RAM for the overheads with the 64bit chips.

edit. I'm typing this on my new Macbook Pro. Which now starts with 16GB as standard, so they're doing somethings right.

Also (to follow on from last post) you're buying into an eco-system, and paying for stability. I've had android phones all the time (HTC Desire - HTC Sensation - Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - HTC One M7) and in the same time my OH has had 2 iPhones (3G (or S, can't remember) - 4S). In that time I've had to send my phone back 4 times (twice for Sensation, twice for One) and have had a multitude of force closings and weird issues. In same time period the future Mrs Dulpit has had rock-solid performance, the only issues she's had are to do with the size of her phone (capacity-wise 16GB is too small).

I love the flexibility of Android, but the stability and cohesiveness of iOS (plus I think the 6 plus is awesome looking) is taking me into uncharted territory - I'll be going Apple...

In what way ?

3rd party apps are poor, and the apps that have counterparts in android or ios are sub-standard.

Podcasting was terrible, hard to use natively or via third-party apps.

The search button is the biggest waste of time ever (as it only opens Bing search, does not search within app).

It's pretty, but not very functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Looks exactly like a samsung to me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was there an iPhone 6 c announced yesterday?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Must be only recent enough, it wasn't on it for ages. Not great reviews...

Been on it for years, there's a Sky Go phone version, and a Sky Go tablet version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No just the iPhone 6 and 6+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

No.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Lads, I havent seen any mention of them getting rid of the iPhone 4S but there isnt any option for it on the Apple website. Is it discontinued now?

That didn't even occur to me. Back to the old strategy so? Says it all about their expectations for the 5c.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Lads, I havent seen any mention of them getting rid of the iPhone 4S but there isnt any option for it on the Apple website. Is it discontinued now?

If I remember correctly the new lineup is going to be
    5c
    5s
    6+

Line up will be:
    • 5c
    • 5s
    • 6 plus
    The 5c will be now the free phone in the US (taking over from the 4s I suppose?)

That didn't even occur to me. Back to the old strategy so? Says it all about their expectations for the 5c.

It says they expect the 5c to continue to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

mad muffin wrote: »
    64gb iPhone 6 for me.

Same here an extra £80 for doubling the memory is tempting. I was thinking of getting the plus but I feel it is just too big.

Graham wrote: »
    It says they expect the 5c to continue to sell.

And why wouldn't they? They've nothing to lose on it now. Point being, they've reverted back to the old discount strategy rather than create a new "cheaper" device.

And why wouldn't they? They've nothing to lose on it now. Point being, they've reverted back to the old discount strategy rather than create a new "cheaper" device.

They've already added phones to the top and bottom of the range, I can't see why they would want to add another new cheaper device. Chasing the budget end of the market in a downward direction hasn't exactly been a resounding success for any other manufacturers now has it?
    Same here an extra £80 for doubling the memory is tempting. I was thinking of getting the plus but I feel it is just too big.

I was thinking along the same lines apart from the extra £80 quadrupling the memory :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm torn. The batter in the 6 Plus could be what wings it for me.

4.7inch is the sweet spot for me but the 5.5 might be manageable. Is there an phone son the market that have a similar size (Note 3?)

Also what is the aspect ration? iPhone 5 or standard like the Nexus 4/5?

Advertisement