Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces special event - September 9th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks man.
    And as for buying it in the US? Can you bring it back over here okay or would it need to be unlocked? (assuming its bought directly from an apple store)

If your boss is in a hurry, tell him to give you a bundle of cash and a train ticket for Belfast dated Friday 19th.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not sure if posted, but if you print off this PDF (without any scaling) you can see the actual size of the new phones vs the iPhone 5. Handy if you're at the early stages of "6... or 6 Plus?" :)

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/iphone-scale.pdf

I would love the 6 Plus for time in work or on the couch, but for lugging around or mucking about with the kids it's gotta be the 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Even looking at that for comparison I'm still torn. I like the size of the 4.7 inch but the battery and few little extra bits in the 5.5inch is so tempting. I'd hate to buy the 4.7 and a few weeks down the line regret not going higher but at the same time I'd hate to buy the 5.5 and be stuck with a massive phone i regret having or finding out the battery isn't really much better than the 4.7inch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

kceire wrote: »
    its expensive because everybody quotes the Factory Unlocked versions direct from Apple. The Galaxy S5 is similar in price if bought direct, same for the HTC M8.

If you buy from the networks, it and all other phones will be cheaper.
    The price structure hasnt really changed so i dont know what you expected price wise tbh.

Hmmm. There's a still a couple of hundred in the difference for a 32GB M8. Also you can buy a 128SD for it. Works out a lot cheaper.

I think I'll wait to see what HTC and Samsung bring out before deciding to move from iOS. 5s is more than adequate for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I have the lg g3 so the 6 plus is a bit bigger than it but I find the lg easy enough to use everyday so don't think there will be much difference with the 6 plus. Looking forward to going back to apple while the g3 is a really nice phone it lacks the support that apple give with their products. This is something I've come up with time and time with Samsung, htc and lg they just can't beat apples customer experience in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

kceire wrote: »
    its a vicious cycle, when the Galaxy S6 is released in Feb 2015, for the price that will be, you better hope it will be better than the iPhone 6.

Considering the S5 already has better specs than the Iphone 6 i'm sure that won't be an issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dades wrote: »
    Not sure if posted, but if you print off this PDF (without any scaling) you can see the actual size of the new phones vs the iPhone 5. Handy if you're at the early stages of "6... or 6 Plus?" :)

I would love the 6 Plus for time in work or on the couch, but for lugging around or mucking about with the kids it's gotta be the 6.

Any one torn should print this off. The 6 plus is massive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Dades wrote: »

I was all 6 plus until I printed that out.

Now I'm 6....

Definitely 6...

..plus. :o

Thing is feckin' huge. There is something very nice about that large screen, 1920 x 1080 resolution and almost double capacity battery, though. Yeah I still want the big one, in 128GB.. now, just have to choose a colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You guys must all have huge ape-hands to want to go for the 5.5"! I can't really imagine going for anything other than the 4.7". I'll keep the smaller phone and the bigger iPad Air for big screen stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,950 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Play with a Samsung Galaxy Note to give yourself an idea of the size of the plus.

It's big, but once you get used to it (after a day or so, max) you'll not look back, and smaller phones (especially the size of the pre-iphone 5's) feel like toys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Zcott wrote: »
    You guys must all have huge ape-hands to want to go for the 5.5"! I can't really imagine going for anything other than the 4.7". I'll keep the smaller phone and the bigger iPad Air for big screen stuff.

I have the mini and would be now more inclined to go for the 6 after printing off the sheet above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

dulpit wrote: »
    Play with a Samsung Galaxy Note to give yourself an idea of the size of the plus.

It's big, but once you get used to it (after a day or so, max) you'll not look back, and smaller phones (especially the size of the pre-iphone 5's) feel like toys.

The 4 already feels like a toy to me after using the 5 and 5S but I really do have quite small hands so I don't think the 5.5 would be for me.

I also don't think I'll order next week and might head down to Apple to have a look at them next Friday. And totally won't end up buying one. Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The size will feel big at first but after a day or 2 you won't even notice it.

Going by the videos Ive watched so far the 5.5 doesn't look that big in hand, its big but being slim keeps it manageable. The print out does make it look fairly hefty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

keith_d99 wrote: »
    I lost push on Gmail when I upgraded ... Google detected new device and wouldn't allow push on Gmail.

Set it up with Fetch (every 15 mins) - it's grand

You talking about the native mail app or the dedicated gmail app?

I lost push for gmail on the native mail app on the last update but installed the gmail app which seems to support push. Hopefully this isnt what you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

adox wrote: »
    You talking about the native mail app or the dedicated gmail app?

I lost push for gmail on the native mail app on the last update but installed the gmail app which seems to support push. Hopefully this isnt what you are talking about?

Gmail revoked exchange push for ios, so you can either update to their gmail for business for $50 a year, or use their app.

Anyone with their exchange setup from before the removal has been grandfathered into keeping that service indefinitely, but changing phone or seemingly updating ios will remove this.

A fix is to just get the gmail app. But I like how it is at the moment with all of my addresses on push within the default app and I was wondering could I keep it when going to ios8. I'll probably hold off on 8 if it's the case that I'll lose this. :( damn you google

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

The 6plus would be grand until you actually have to take a call on it. Then you'd look a bit silly I think.

It's ridiculous for a phone to be that big IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Batesy wrote: »
    The 6plus would be grand until you actually have to take a call on it. Then you'd look a bit silly I think.

Use a phone to make a call, what is this? 2003.... ppprrffftt.

:D:D

Or put it in your pockets (But if you have bought a 6 plus you already have deep pockets!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I guess it depends on what you want to trade off, bigger screen if you use media on your mobile a lot or smaller one if you don't and use it more as a traditional phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

godtabh wrote: »
    Or put it in your pockets (But if you have bought a 6 plus you already have deep pockets!)

It's smaller than the Note 3 and that wasn't noticeable in my pocket. It really isn't as much of a hindrance as you'd think.

Jesus, would it even fit in a jeans back pocket?!

I'd say it'd be tight anyway and prone to bend if said jeans were of the skinny/tight variety.

*snap*

Jesus, would it even fit in a jeans back pocket?!

I'd say it'd be tight anyway and prone to bend if said jeans were of the skinny/tight variety.

*snap*

I wouldnt be putting a high end phone in my back pocket. It could fall out/be taken a lot easier. Even worse I may sit on it

Ya I would never put a phone in my back pocket no matter what make it is. Asking for trouble if you ask me.

Walking around with the 6 plus up to your ear does sound ridiculous in theory. Hopefully a few more reviews popping up online today and tomorrow.

godtabh wrote: »
    I wouldnt be putting a high end phone in my back pocket. It could fall out/be taken a lot easier. Even worse I may sit on it

See this is where I'm lost on the 6plus. I will forever have my phone in my back pocket.

Even the 6 is too big for my liking. I'm currently on 4s and will probably upgrade to the 5s in a few weeks.

I'm just curious here, where do ye all keep your phones if not in your back pocket?

I'm just curious here, where do ye all keep your phones if not in your back pocket?

Front pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

In my IPocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Defo don't put phone in arse pocket

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    Front pockets.

Really!?! Jesus that's a new one on me.

Fair play.

Advertisement