Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To move to London or stay in Ireland

Options
  • 28-08-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I have been on social welfare here since 2008. It's very hard to find work here. I done a office course. I was previously employed as a Sales Assistant in a supermarket and lost my job in January 2008 as the store closed down. I have done a few courses since then.

I would love to do a healthcare course and then maybe Nursing. I applied for a course but not entilited to financial support due to have done the a course in same level. I was so disappointed.

Should I wait and apply for Nursing next year or go to London now and look for work.
    I am strongly thinking of moving to London. It's very disheartened doing Nothing here for an another year.

I feel my life is going nowhere.

I also have family in London

Please help.....

Also would I be entitled to do any courses over there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ann100

ann100 wrote: »
    I have been on social welfare here since 2008. It's very hard to find work here. I done a office course. I was previously employed as a Sales Assistant in a supermarket and lost my job in January 2008 as the store closed down. I have done a few courses since then.

I would love to do a healthcare course and then maybe Nursing. I applied for a course but not entilited to financial support due to have done the a course in same level. I was so disappointed.

Should I wait and apply for Nursing next year or go to London now and look for work.
    I am strongly thinking of moving to London. It's very disheartened doing Nothing here for an another year.

Please help.....

Also I know someone who can get me work in catering. Doing weddings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

If you have a place to stay while you get on your feet (family) and you have a job lined up then its a no brainer. Lots of opportunity for people in London if you are prepared to work hard. You can always go back if you dont like it after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

If I were you I would go. As previous poster said, it's easy come home if you don't like it or if it doesn't work out. The longer you stay out if work the less employable you will become unfortunately. So take the plunge.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am taking the plunge and going to London next week. Hope it all works out for the best.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Best of luck. We're here if you've any questions :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Would you consider applying for nursing in London?
    Both boxes ticked.
    Good luck with the move. You won't regret it.

Yes I would love to study Nursing in London but not sure would I be in financial position to do so. Would I be entitled to some sort of grant. I was looking up some information and came across that you have to be living in the UK three years to get the grant.... is this true??? Any information greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

It's probably different now but I applied from Ireland back in the day.
    We got a grant and accommodation was provided. Enough to live on not much for excesses though.
    I have no idea what the story is these days.

Just had a trawl through some sites there, it's a bit of a trudge but if you have the time it might be worth your while going through the stuff.
    I think you will probably be eligible for a bursary, nurse training is funded by the NHS but of course there are conditions etc. Ireland is one of the accepted resident countries for bursary recipients, if I read correctly.
    The central website for application is UCAS.com
    Maybe it's just me but I found that site tricky to navigate unless you are very specific about course name and hospital. Many of the hospitals in London for example have now amalgamated into one trust, ie Kings, Guys and Tommy's are all under one umbrella right now. I found the following by googling kings college hospital which is where I found the most useful info and links specific to nursing.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/nursing/study/applicants/preregistration/apply.aspx

If I were you I'd start emailing various hospitals for info, they will send you appropriate links and take it from there. For example if you know you want to stay in a certain area search for the hospitals nearby etc.
    Sorry I can't be more specific, it's s good 10 years since I was on this journey. You will not regret it if you get it/go ahead, excellent experience in UK, many jobs/opportunities etc.
    Good luck!

Property is very expensive in London. Its very hard to get a room...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Vag

How did you get on in the end? I'm interested as I am thinking of going myself. Did you have accommodation sorted out before you went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Yeah me too. From what I hear the country is booming so fingers crossed eh! London sounds like an awesome place to live... everyone should experience living there or New York at least once in their lives!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

The London Irish Centre produced a very helpful booklet for Irish people considering moving to London. It has lots of information about areas to live, finding accommodation, getting work etc and is worth a look at.

http://issuu.com/londonirishcentre/docs/movingtolondon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

ann100 wrote: »

Please help.....

Would you not be able to apply for the back to education allowanc here? My sister went back to study nursing last month as a mature student. She is still able to get JSA and rent allowance while studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

The London Irish Centre produced a very helpful booklet for Irish people considering moving to London. It has lots of information about areas to live, finding accommodation, getting work etc and is worth a look at.

http://issuu.com/londonirishcentre/docs/movingtolondon

Thats a great read, cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

For anyone moving from Ireland, don't forget you're able to get your full JSA payment for the first 8 weeks (think it's 8? I definitely got 4 anyway) in London. You just need to go to your local office, ask for a U2 form & if I remember correctly you bring it into your local job centre office here & they do the rest. It can take a week or two to go through, but you'll get back paid directly to your bank account. If you're happy enough to work in coffee shops, bars, etc while you go after a bigger job, 8 weeks will be more than enough here. Don't forget there's literally hundreds of promo agencies in London that take people on for a day's work here & there doing leafleting, event staff, TV ads, etc.

token101 wrote: »
    For anyone moving from Ireland, don't forget you're able to get your full JSA payment for the first 8 weeks (think it's 8? I definitely got 4 anyway) in London. You just need to go to your local office, ask for a U2 form & if I remember correctly you bring it into your local job centre office here & they do the rest. It can take a week or two to go through, but you'll get back paid directly to your bank account. .

I thought this only applied to Jobseekers Benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Vag wrote: »
    I thought this only applied to Jobseekers Benefit?

NO, JSA too.

http://spunout.ie/life/article/transferring-unemployment-benefits-to-other-eu-countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I took class D driving lessons and with my Irish bus licence I got a job as bus driver on London buses working out of Cricklewood bus garage.

A bus licence guarantees a job in almost any town in the UK.

The problem in London is accommodation, not work.

token101 wrote: »

Are you sure it was not Jobseekers Benefit you were on at the time? According to both the Social Welfare Office and Citizens Information (both of whom I spoke to about this today, as well as many times in the past) JSA is not transferable as it is means tested and you must meet the habitual residence requirement. The U2 form mentioned on spunout.ie is only used for JSB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Vag wrote: »
    Are you sure it was not Jobseekers Benefit you were on at the time? According to both the Social Welfare Office and Citizens Information (both of whom I spoke to about this today, as well as many times in the past) JSA is not transferable as it is means tested and you must meet the habitual residence requirement. The U2 form mentioned on spunout.ie is only used for JSB.

You're right, I tried this myself when I moved over earlier in the year and the social welfare said it's only for Job Seeker's Benefit. If you're on JSA you can't transfer it.

Advertisement