Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike maintenance classes?

• 28-08-2014 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Just started cycling, have a shiny new bike that I have no idea how to take care of.
    Someone recommended going to one of the bike maintenance classes in Rothar? http://www.rothar.ie/bike-maintenance-classes.html

Considering going - anyone have a good/bad experience with this type of class?

Or if there are some blogs/videos that could teach me the absolute basics, I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Should be a 10 night class starting in Limerick College of Further Education pretty soon. I did it last year and covered all the basics (puncture repairs/ brake adjustments) plus plenty more (changing cassettes/derailleur adjustment). Can bring in your own bike to work on too which is pretty handy. Check out the website for more details. Run them on 2 different nights so if you can sign up for the Tuesday class cos if you miss it you can always show up at the Wednesday one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

I've learned (and plan on continuing to learn) anything I need to know from youtube tutorials and advice received on here.

When I was changing cables the first time, I went on to youtube and watched plenty of videos and eventually found one I liked and followed it.

I have also bought this book and it's handy, however I always check youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

I did the rothar one recently. You can prob learn as much from you tube and trial and error, particularly if you've got an engineer's mind, but no harm in doing the course if not. You need to be able to change a tube if you're going to cycle any distance. You can certainly learn this on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

Thanks guys.

While I think I do (maybe) have an engineer's mind, solving an existing problem is not even what I'm worried about. It's prevention of problems I don't even know about! For example, I walked out of the shop and thought "Hmmm... Should I have bought some kind of oil? Or lubricant? Or tools?"

This is a whole new world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

bobobear wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

While I think I do (maybe) have an engineer's mind, solving an existing problem is not even what I'm worried about. It's prevention of problems I don't even know about! For example, I walked out of the shop and thought "Hmmm... Should I have bought some kind of oil? Or lubricant? Or tools?"

I think most things are relatively intuitive in the sense that when something seizes up, fails to work, falls off, starts making a weird noise, etc, you know you need to fix it. Or take it to the FNBS for advanced diagnosis and fixage.

I think the biggest "silently" degraded element is the drive train. Between dirt, lube, chain stretch, and tooth wear, it's the thing that just gradually degrades without you necessarily being aware of it. So that's something that's worthwhile checking on some sort of schedule, and having some sort of routine of servicing. I tell myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

bobobear wrote: »
    For example, I walked out of the shop and thought "Hmmm... Should I have bought some kind of oil? Or lubricant? Or tools?"

Then do the course because for 40 euro you'll get to ask a lad who knows all those questions, whereas on the internet you can build up a picture but will rarely be the full picture. Have a fiddle with your bike first, change the tubes adjust the brakes and read what you can online, then do the course and iron everything out.

I did it knowing how to change a tube and having a rough idea how brakes work. I learned more on the course and could have learned what I did in about 40 minutes just talking to someone who knew what they were at rather than spending three hours watching him teaching other people the basics. But it was still worth it. I think it's a charity anyway which is doing good work for cycling and sustainability so your 40 euro won't go wasted.

Advertisement