Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man comes out to family about being Gay, does not go well

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

krudler wrote: »
    I'd agree, it's a sh1tty situation but 20 grand?

yeah man, 20k is not to be sniffed at...as I say, not begrudging him one bit, but is there a recipe here:

Step1: Create a dodgy video that will get the majority of the internet on your side
    Step2: Include fundraiser page in the comments / more info
    Step3: ?????
    Step4: Profit

Again, I'm just being uber cynical here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wonder if other teens who have problems with there parents will now look to record it and look for some sympathy cash?

Seems like a bit of a creepy household

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Poor guy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

This will be turned into a into a religion bashing thread. Oh we don't have many of those.Can we not look at this in a more natural way and condemn her as a human being and stop using religion as a scapegoat ? I mean its her own son she is disowning, Some people in the world reject their own beliefs if its in contrast with what they love and hold dear to them. I mean If I had a son and he was gay and I condemned him you can't blame religion , you would have to blame me.
    It's more "bashing" of people who are religious fundamentalists. Her religion (and I just mean her version of christianity, not christianity in general - the original teachings of Christ were pretty damn good IMO) does shape her view in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'm surprised how he was able to keep a hold of his phone while his entire family attacked him...in all honesty it should have been knocked out if his hand straight away. I hate to say it but I can't help but doubt the credibility of the video itself. His father said he saw him tell him off over facebook but then you'd think they'd see pictures of their soon with his boyfriend etc. I hate to be a c*nt here but wouldn't surprise me if this was a set up.

I'm surprised how he was able to keep a hold of his phone while his entire family attacked him...in all honesty it should have been knocked out if his hand straight away. I hate to say it but I can't help but doubt the credibility of the video itself. His father said he saw him tell him off over facebook but then you'd think they'd see pictures of their soon with his boyfriend etc. I hate to be a c*nt here but wouldn't surprise me if this was a set up.

Yeah, ive watched it now a couple of times,

just something about it, does not sit right (not the whole disgraceful lets bash the gay goings on)

But something about the vid seems off, could anyone actually make out a face or anything? Could be the skeptic in me, just have doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Gets popcorn

Waits for the religion bashing folks to arrive with the pitchforks and blame all of religion for the actions of these narowminded people.

Religious indoctrination creates narrow minded people! Therefore it is only fair that it receives blame.

That family deserve to have their bigotry go viral and be shown up for what they are. Maybe other cnuts of similar ilk will see it and think twice before treating their family members like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'd have disowned him for shooting in vertical video.

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    Religious indoctrination creates narrow minded people! Therefore it is only fair that it receives blame.

That family deserve to have their bigotry go viral and be shown up for what they are. Maybe other cnuts of similar ilk will see it and think twice before treating their family members like that.

Ah yes, it is just religion that creates these people, sure atheists could never be narrow minded or judgmental at all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ah yes, it is just religion that creates these people, sure atheists could never be narrow minded or judgmental at all :rolleyes:

That's not what I said. Religious indoctrination does create narrow minded people. Other factors also create narrow minded people who may or may not be religious.

Tell me when you read the thread title that you thought it would be anything other than a gay person coming out to their family of nutcase religious fundies?

But nobody said that. It still doesn't change that religious fundamentalism causes people to be narrowminded though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

The mother sounded like Sheldon Coopers mother in the big bang theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Doop

I His father said he saw him tell him off over facebook but then you'd think they'd see pictures of their soon with his boyfriend etc. I hate to be a c*nt here but wouldn't surprise me if this was a set up.

So all gay poeple have pictures of them and their boyfriends plastered all over facebook?
    1. lots of people are single
    2. When your gay and young and coming to terms with telling people the last thing you do is post photos that are 'going to give the game away' infact quite the opposite.

Personally I think its genuine, the family are clearly unaware of the video so hes probably just holding his phone while talking as many of us do, especially teenagers!

I found it quite upsetting, And in terms of the fund raising page, did he set it up? either way I dont really see the problem, hes had an incredibly hard blow dealt to him and if people want to help they can... theyre choice.

Plus im sure theres many a teenager out there who has given out about their parents on facebook, 'OMG my dad is an a$$shole' etc etc we dont know the details to be fair. He might not come across brilliantly but its not excatly a reasoned debate, emotions are high we dont always get across what we want in these situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Feets

I am bypassing all the comments because I have a small suspicion it is not a genuine situation that was recorded. Maybe its a social media/acting experiment? Just from the video I saw there were no faces visible. A bit of anoninimity seemed convenient in which to conduct an experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Feets

I am bypassing all the comments because I have a small suspicion it is not a genuine situation that was recorded. Maybe its a social media/acting experiment? Just from the video I saw there were no faces visible. A bit of anoninimity seemed convenient in which to conduct an experiment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Doop wrote: »
    And in terms of the fund raising page, did he set it up? either way I dont really see the problem, hes had an incredibly hard blow dealt to him and if people want to help they can... theyre choice.

I want to help him AND other people like him, but I can't. Only him. So not much of a choice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

He has lived with them all his life, I'm sure he knew exactly what their reaction was going to be when he dropped the bombshell.

Seems suss to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The parents should be ****ing locked up. That's assault, pure and simple.

I'm not surprised that those willing to blame the victim are complaining about an "anti-religious" sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

To the people suggesting he was looking for a reaction by filming a family conversation, he wasn't. His boyfriend stated on Reddit that he had told his parents earlier and this was an "intervention" they had staged for him and called other family over. He filmed it for his own safety & to have a record of what he knew was going to happen.
    Also, I believe the funding page was made by other people on Reddit. Not himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

No.

Narrow minded people were always going to be narrow minded people, just like your narrow minded assumptions about religious people. See how that works? It's certainly not rocket science.

And this is exactly the reaction a 20 year old man expected when he decided to provoke his parents and carry on in such an embarrassing and undignified fashion. I thought we were talking about a 15 year old teenager being kicked out of home. This is a 20 year old man who should have moved out long ago anyway ffs!

Jumped up little prick is all I can think, and knew damn well how to get a reaction video on film to make a name for himself. At least the only saving grace in all this crap is that it can only be done once. After that, people aren't interested in the next person - "It's been done already".

• Advertisement

Czarcasm wrote: »
    No.

Narrow minded people were always going to be narrow minded people, just like your narrow minded assumptions about religious people. See how that works? It's certainly not rocket science.

And this is exactly the reaction a 20 year old man expected when he decided to provoke his parents and carry on in such an embarrassing and undignified fashion. I thought we were talking about a 15 year old teenager being kicked out of home. This is a 20 year old man who should have moved out long ago anyway ffs!

Jumped up little prick is all I can think, and knew damn well how to get a reaction video on film to make a name for himself. At least the only saving grace in all this crap is that it can only be done once. After that, people aren't interested in the next person - "It's been done already".

How did he 'provoke' his parents to that reaction may I ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Seems like a set-up video by an attention seeker looking for donations.

Not that it's not a genuine situation he's in, it is, but he's clearly created a viral video here on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

How did he 'provoke' his parents to that reaction may I ask?

Have you watched the video in the OP or are you just being purposely obtuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

So what if his intention was for it to go viral? This **** needs to be viral, because people need to know that the world isn't suddenly accepting of LGBT and now everything is fine and dandy. This stuff happens every day to kids like him. The vast majority of what his parents/relations said was not provoked by him- They are their own genuine views and opinions.

Honestly. People think this guy is a "prick", the guy who just got kicked out of his house, physically assaulted by his family and disowned by him? Nice to see how insulated the average boards user is so.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    So what if his intention was for it to go viral? This **** needs to be viral, because people need to know that the world isn't suddenly accepting of LGBT and now everything is fine and dandy. This stuff happens every day to kids like him. The vast majority of what his parents/relations said was not provoked by him- They are their own genuine views and opinions.

Honestly. People think this guy is a "prick", the guy who just got kicked out of his house, physically assaulted by his family and disowned by him? Nice to see how insulated the average boards user is so.
    Not sure that "prick" comment is representative of the average Boards user?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

To the people suggesting he was looking for a reaction by filming a family conversation, he wasn't. His boyfriend stated on Reddit that he had told his parents earlier and this was an "intervention" they had staged for him and called other family over. He filmed it for his own safety & to have a record of what he knew was going to happen.
    Also, I believe the funding page was made by other people on Reddit. Not himself

Unfortunately, it seems that's not going to convince some people who've posted in this thread. They believe it's perfectly fine for two parents to pummel their son in reaction to being "provoked" merely by being told by their son that he's gay.

EDIT:
    Not sure that "prick" comment is representative of the average Boards user?
    It is when said Boards poster takes such glee in watching such brutality.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Have you watched the video in the OP or are you just being purposely obtuse?

Yes I watched the video. What do you think he did to provoke them?

No one is insulated and no one thinks this doesn't go on, it does, but it comes across as this guy has done this for personal financial gain and fame.

I find it bizarre that there are people out there that don't see through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

His voice!!

Why do some gays put on that stupid voice?

Unfortunately, it seems that's not going to convince some people who've posted in this thread. They believe it's perfectly fine for two parents to pummel their son in reaction to being "provoked" merely by being told by their son that he's gay.

EDIT:

It is when said Boards poster takes such glee in watching such brutality.

Who said that was perfectly fine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

Finally a family that makes mine look sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Insulated? You're the one that things a guy can't be a pricks just because he got **** on. It could be a whole family of pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    His voice!!

Cos that's just how he sounds?

nm wrote: »
    No one is insulated and no one thinks this doesn't go on, it does, but it comes across as this guy has done this for personal financial gain and fame.

I find it bizarre that there are people out there that don't see through this.

If he can get anything at all positive out of having such a sh*tty family of cnuts why shouldn't he? I imagine he put up with enough being brought up by them that he deserves any 'gain' possible from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Pawn

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Amazing how people who call themselves Christians are so quick to hate people because of who they are.
    How about tolerance of those who call themselves Muslims? I understand being gay is fully acceptable...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Oh well if his boyfriend said that on Reddit earlier then it must be 100% genuine.Seems like it's either 1. set up for sympathy, 2. set up for cash + sympathy, regardless of whether the parents are in on it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I don't think he comes across as the most likeable guy really (though god knows in a situation like that a lot of us probably wouldn't be at our best), but that's not the point.

His family are very clear about the fact that they are cutting him off for being gay, for making a "lifestyle choice" that they don't agree with and that they don't "want people thinking" they condone by letting their son live under their roof. He could be the most manipulative, opportunist little shít in the world but the circumstances were still of his horrible family's creation. Is he supposed to be the Gay Iago or something, and them coming across like volatile, homophobic assholes is all just a big misunderstanding? Give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Pawn wrote: »
    How about tolerance of those who call themselves Muslims? I understand being gay is fully acceptable...?

Where the hell did that come from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

krudler wrote: »
    Cos that's just how he sounds?

Don't think so.

That girly voice is exaggerated

Phoebas wrote: »
    Where the hell did that come from?

In straight line from here:
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Amazing how people who call themselves Christians are so quick to hate people because of who they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

His voice!!

good man ya :rolleyes:

Well, because the Family in the OP are Christian and that is what the poster was referring to..

wprathead wrote: »
    Well, because the Family in the OP are Christian and that is what the poster was referring to..
    Ah fine, why not expand the discussion a little bit...?

If he can get anything at all positive out of having such a sh*tty family of cnuts why shouldn't he? I imagine he put up with enough being brought up by them that he deserves any 'gain' possible from it.

He can do whatever he wants, and what he wants is apparently to be internet famous and have everyone send him money.

So it appears he set up a sympathy video knowing the outcome and with that end game in mind, and not because "the people need to know" or any other reason that's being spouted here.

My opinion only, from watching it once. He's making money now, good for him.

In straight line from here:

That line mentioned Christians, not Muslims. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Someone said on reddit? Ironclad proof, case closed. Now where's that donation page so I can divert my svdp DD to this guy?

Ah fine, why not expand the discussion a little bit...?

Why don't you open a new thread about Islam's attitude to homosexuality rather than trying to derail this one.

That girly voice is exaggerated
    How could you possibly know that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A way from the homophobia of the mother...

If the guy in the video did put stuff up on facebook about his dad than what does he expect the type of reaction he might get from him?

Nobody here would tolerate anyone talking sh!t about them on Facebook not even their own children for one second. That might have set his dad off only making things worse.

A big row might have been coming anyway.

That's if though, he denies it in the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

DazMarz wrote: »
    On his funding page, he set a target of $2,000 17 hours ago...

Currently sitting on $19,440.

Hopefully he can get a new life started with that!

Fools and their money.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement