Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man comes out to family about being Gay, does not go well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Czarcasm wrote: »
    We did. His mother told him to move out, and he decided to act like was just told he wasn't getting Buzz Lightyear for Christmas.

She told him to move out BECAUSE HE WAS GAY. The parents told him to either go to a bullshit "pray the gay away" camp or leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Pawn

She told him to move out BECAUSE HE WAS GAY. .
    If mother tells a man to move out, it's time to pack up your gear and move the fcuk out.

Not sure how it works with gay lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I can of course agree with that, but I don't think one can justify the other tbh. It's just my own personal opinion obviously, but calling any woman a bitch, let alone your own mother...

Well, again, I wouldn't kick my son out for being gay, but if he ever called his mother a bitch, I wouldn't give him time to pack his bags. If you want respect, you have to give respect, and if someone is disrespectful towards you, that doesn't justify you being disrespectful towards them. You have to set an example if you want people to treat you the way you would like to be treated. Some people won't follow your example, but the vast majority of people will.

You would kick your son out because of one loss of temper and a bad word being used? That's a fairly impulsive solution, why not discipline him and try to turn him into a better person?

darced wrote: »

She told him to either move out until he was "cured" of his homosexuality or to go to a "pray the gay away" camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pawn wrote: »
    If mother tells a man to move out, it's time to pack up your gear and move the fcuk out.

Not sure how it works with gay lads...

Oh ffs, watch the video. It's not like she goes you're 20 time to be on your own, she says you're gay and I dont want people thinking I'm ok with that so gtfo.

That's not motherly behaviour. They are rednecks though so maybe they're just annoyed he prefers men to his own cousins or something :pac:

krudler wrote: »
    Oh ffs, watch the video.
    No :)

My "early Friday" goes way too well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

woodoo wrote: »
    The mother sounded like Sheldon Coopers mother in the big bang theory.

My exact thought lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

You would kick your son out because of one loss of temper and a bad word being used? That's a fairly impulsive solution, why not discipline him and try to turn him into a better person?

No, I would kick my 20 year old son out if he ever thought to call his mother a bitch. He's already a polite and well behaved child though and he respects his parents, so such a scenario as was presented in the OP is unlikely ever to arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I can of course agree with that, but I don't think one can justify the other tbh. It's just my own personal opinion obviously, but calling any woman a bitch, let alone your own mother...

Well, again, I wouldn't kick my son out for being gay, but if he ever called his mother a bitch, I wouldn't give him time to pack his bags. If you want respect, you have to give respect, and if someone is disrespectful towards you, that doesn't justify you being disrespectful towards them. You have to set an example if you want people to treat you the way you would like to be treated. Some people won't follow your example, but the vast majority of people will.

Eh, is it not meant to be the parents who set the example for their child, rather than the other way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

No, I would kick my 20 year old son out if he ever thought to call his mother a bitch. He's already a polite and well behaved child though and he respects his parents, so such a scenario as was presented in the OP is unlikely ever to arise.

Hahahaha

Wait until he's a teenager.

Seriously, I say I've called my mom all sorts in a fit of rage when I was a teenager. I still love her and we get on extremely well, so I wouldn't have such an unrealistic attitude to these sorts of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

darced wrote: »
    Yeah and he was the only one who mentioned disowning which is completely different.

They effectively disowned to be blunt. Now, Darce, you view sexual orientation as a good reason to throw your son out of the house? Shouting 'queer' at your son is good etiquette?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Bit of a cop out to the question there... kids(and people) will never be perfect and be prone to mistakes or losing their temper and saying things they don't mean. Kicking people out should be a last resort.

I'm actually more shocked at some of the posts in this thread than the video. Why anyone argue that his parents should be respected is beyond me.

Why anyone argue that his parents should be respected is beyond me.
    Because people are different and have different opinions. As simple as that.

Because people are different and have different opinions. As simple as that.

There's a limit to what you can do and still be entitled to respect. Kicking your son out and calling him "queer" is not one of them.

I would hope this guy would go to the police and press charges for assault, but the pessimist in me believes that the cops are like his Neanderthal parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Hard to believe that it would be disrespectful to call my own mother a bitch just after she physically attacked me.

There's a limit...
    Oh... And who sets the limits...? May I guess? :rolleyes:

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Regardless of his age,he is still their child. If my parents ever treated me as they treated him, I would probably entirely cut them off.

He's not a child though, he's a 20 year old, fully matured (ok, that's debatable) adult. You're saying on the one hand that it's terrible they're asking him to move out because he's gay, and then on the other hand you're saying you'd cut your parents off if they treated you like that. Would that not be a win/win all round for everyone involved?

He was initially perfectly respectful.He said that he was born this way and his mother started to rant at him how he was not born that way. She said she was throwing him out because of his 'habit'(I have gay friends but I wouldn't want them to be related to me), they started to effectively call him an abomination.

He wasn't initially perfectly respectful, as he was covertly recording the incident without their knowledge even before anything kicked off. He knew his parents were religious and that they didn't believe in science, so when he starts waffling on and patronising them about science and scientific explanations, etc, he knew what he was doing, and it was disrespectful to the people who had raised him for 20 years according to their beliefs. At no point did they actually call him an abomination (we have enough to go on without making stuff up).

Would I get angry at them? In all probability yes, you don't think it would be frustrating to be given an ultimatum by one's parents because of your sexual orientation? They're pretty explicit,that's why they did it. The first person to raise their voice was the mother,then they attempted to attack him followed by the father shouting 'queer' at him.... That's terrible parenting and the assholes should be exposed. His mother is a bit of a bitch and his father is an asshole and they said much worse to him.

Hell I'd get angry at them too, but I'd know any attempt at discussion would be futile, and any attempt to question their decision would be futile, unless of course I wanted to provoke a reaction, knowing I was recording the whole thing.

The first person to start with the patronising attitude was the son, who was in no position to call the shots. We can all judge it to be terrible parenting and yada yada, but then we weren't around for the last 20 years of this mans life, whereas his parents raised him from birth, so calling his parents this, that and the other is one perspective. The other is that this guy is nothing more than a jumped up little prick that wanted his five minutes of fame on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Yeah, but when she calls him a 'son of a bitch', she's effectively calling herself a bitch. And when he calls her a bitch, he's effectively calling himself a 'son of a bitch'. The fact that neither of them noticed or availed of such blatant 'open goals' is disappointing to say the least.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I'm 20 just like the guy in the video. As you said, we're not kids, so the days of unquestioning respect are long gone. You want respect, give respect. Simple as.

I'm not going to comment on how you get on with your father Redzer but as far as the whole 'days of unquestioning respect are gone' bit goes, you're wrong about that much. That might be how it works for you and among your immediate circle of friends, but it's far from the wider reality among society.

I agree with you about respect though, and I also said earlier that if someone is disrespectful towards you, that's still no justification for you to be disrespectful towards them.

I've seen far too many dickhead fathers treat their sons like ****e only for people on the outside to say; "they're still your father". Old fashioned bollox.

It's a biological and scientific fact, is it not? I never saw eye to eye with my parents, but I would still never have been disrespectful towards them. It might be "old fashioned bollox" to you, but to more people it's still the most basic hierarchy in society that allows us to function cohesively.

If she called him a queer, a piece of sh1t and then attacked him he'd be damn right to call her a bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

She told him to move out BECAUSE HE WAS GAY. The parents told him to either go to a bullshit "pray the gay away" camp or leave.

......and then the scrounging started.

If she called him a queer, a piece of sh1t and then attacked him he'd be damn right to call her a bitch.
    No, if he was a real man he would have taken any hit from his own mother, then he would have packed his gear and moved the fcuk out.

I'm talking about a man, not a queer though.

He wasn't initially perfectly respectful, as he was covertly recording the incident without their knowledge even before anything kicked off. He knew his parents were religious and that they didn't believe in science, so when he starts waffling on and patronising them about science and scientific explanations, etc, he knew what he was doing, and it was disrespectful to the people who had raised him for 20 years according to their beliefs. At no point did they actually call him an abomination (we have enough to go on without making stuff up).

And he was completely right, scientific fact does trump ignorant belief. He didn't choose to be gay, no more than you chose to be straight.

No, if he was a real man he would have taken any hit from his own mother, then he would have packed his gear and moved the fcuk out.

I'm talking about a man, not a queer though.

Wow..

Good for you. Regardless of whether or not you think he should be able to fend for himself, he's being kicked out because of his sexual orientation not because he's a financial leech. That's the problem here. He's an adult so his parents are entitled to do that, but it's sad state of affairs when being gay decides even a little bit of why you are being told to leave your house.

There's a part of me that wonders were the parents just using the fact that he was gay as an excuse to justify kicking him out, because they didn't want to admit to themselves that they'd allowed their son to become an entitled, obnoxious, selfish little twat.

Also I can guaran-dam-tee that the majority of 16 year olds that move out of their house end up either on the streets heading down a worse path or back home after a few months with their family and or friends. Moving out when you're 16 should not be encouraged.

Moving out as soon as one possibly can, when they are in a dysfunctional family unit, should absolutely be encouraged once they are at least 16. At 20? There's no bloody excuse whatsoever to be still living at home in a dysfunctional family setup.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    ......and then the scrounging started.

What do you have against gays? Time and time again, when a thread about LGBT people is on AH, you spew out the most abominable bullshit.

And he was completely right, scientific fact does trump ignorant belief. He didn't choose to be gay, no more than you chose to be straight.

He may be right, but he was preaching to the wrong audience. They had every right to kick their 20 year old son out of their home when he started trying to tell them they were the people in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I feel sorry for the parents in their strange way they still love him but can't live with the shame. Common theme in society. We did it for years. Also think the kids remark about them not raising him- a very natural remark it should be noted, probably not meant the way he intended- was the tipping point. That sent them into rage mode where they were blinded by emotion and disgust. It'd be interesting to know how that video would have gone if he never said that. The parents started off restrained, were probably heart broken that they were disowning him but felt they had no other choice.

Man, human driven ideologies can be so fcked up. Hopefully one day the parents will realise how awful their behavior was. Nobody expects them to be perfect all the time but they do expect the lack of such diabolical prejudices. Chances of such realisation are obviously slim, live in hope though. Sincerely hope they don't get sent too much vitriol and hate.

No, he wouldn't. We'll probably have to disagree on that one though as I'd only be repeating myself otherwise.

I'm not going to comment on how you get on with your father Redzer but as far as the whole 'days of unquestioning respect are gone' bit goes, you're wrong about that much. That might be how it works for you and among your immediate circle of friends, but it's far from the wider reality among society.

I agree with you about respect though, and I also said earlier that if someone is disrespectful towards you, that's still no justification for you to be disrespectful towards them.

There's no such thing as unquestionable respect. Respect has to be earned, even by parents. I don't think Joseph Fritzel's daughters owe him an ounce of respect and the same goes for any child who has suffered abuse at the hands of their parents.

This video gives us a 5 minute glimpse into this family's life so I'm not going to say they don't deserve any respect from their son but I think it's perfectly natural for the boy to lose some respect for them after they decide to reject him because of who he is, because that's what they're doing and there's nothing respectable about that.

No, he wouldn't. We'll probably have to disagree on that one though as I'd only be repeating myself otherwise.

You'd respect a parent who attacked you? Doubt it.

Respect is earned, it's not automatically granted.

• Advertisement

Hahahaha

Wait until he's a teenager.

Seriously, I say I've called my mom all sorts in a fit of rage when I was a teenager. I still love her and we get on extremely well, so I wouldn't have such an unrealistic attitude to these sorts of things.

Redzer you're basing your opinion on how you interact with your parents.

If anyone here has an unrealistic attitude, unfortunately it's you, because you've yet to realize that not everyone is like you, or thinks the same way you do, or even reacts the same way you do. I don't have to wait till he's a teenager, or even when he's a parent himself, to know that he will always respect his parents.

That is not an unrealistic attitude, that's an attitude based on my experience.

Redzer you're basing your opinion on how you interact with your parents.

If anyone here has an unrealistic attitude, unfortunately it's you, because you've yet to realize that not everyone is like you, or thinks the same way you do, or even reacts the same way you do. I don't have to wait till he's a teenager, or even when he's a parent himself, to know that he will always respect his parents.

That is not an unrealistic attitude, that's an attitude based on my experience.

Your entire argument here has been 'I'm right, you're wrong'. Which as ever, is always lovely. Those utterings are just your opinions too, and by that virtue do not overrule mine -as much as you'd like them too.

You can't predict how children react when they become teenagers. He might grow in one direction and seek independence and rebel like most teenagers. You do have an unrealistic attitude to think you'll know your son will never ever say such a thing.

Do you honestly think the parents of children who rebel (and I've seen many go from polite and nice, to firy and rebellious) thought their kids would grow up to rebel? Doubtful. They think the same as you do until it happens. And it's all as common as muck.

It's just part of growing up, and nearly all the time the insults are not meant.

If you think your child is incapable of talking back, you're in for a seriously rude awakening. Rebellion is part of growing up and establishing independence -it's extremely common behaviour.

That's why it just sounds so irrational to throw him out for calling his mom a bitch. It's utterly ridiculous.

You'd respect a parent who attacked you? Doubt it.

There's a reason I moved out of home at 16 y'know, I can assure you it wasn't a decision I made on the spur of the moment, and still refused to go home when my parents sent social workers and a Garda detective (friend of the family) in to visit me for a 'chat'. I still maintained what dignity I had left rather than air my family's laundry in public.

You may doubt it, but it's far, far more common than you might think. I may not think much of them as human beings, but they are still my parents.

Respect is earned, it's not automatically granted.

Someone needs to tell the idiot in the video that much. He seems to be under the impression that he could say what he likes and still be respected by his parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What do you have against gays? Time and time again, when a thread about LGBT people is on AH, you spew out the most abominable bullshit.

It's actually his behaviour outside of his sexuality that makes him a complete and utter prick.

Feel free to continue with your ad hominem though.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's actually his behaviour outside of his sexuality that makes him a complete and utter prick.

Feel free to continue with your ad hominem though.

Tbh, I think sucking a dick would be the thing to finally get some of your fascination about homosexuality out of your system.

Like, you seem to post in every gay related thread, yet don't post hugely in other threads, so clearly there's something drawing you to them.

Mod: Banned.

• Advertisement

There's a reason I moved out of home at 16 y'know, I can assure you it wasn't a decision I made on the spur of the moment, and still refused to go home when my parents sent social workers and a Garda detective (friend of the family) in to visit me for a 'chat'. I still maintained what dignity I had left rather than air my family's laundry in public.

You may doubt it, but it's far, far more common than you might think. I may not think much of them as human beings, but they are still my parents.

Someone needs to tell the idiot in the video that much. He seems to be under the impression that he could say what he likes and still be respected by his parents.

He called her a bitch AFTER she called him a piece of sh1t, and his dad called him a queer. They clearly don't respect him, why should he respect them?

Your entire argument here has been 'I'm right, you're wrong'. Which as ever, is always lovely. Those utterings are just your opinions too, and by that virtue do not overrule mine -as much as you'd like them too.

When we're talking about my son, I think my opinion carries just that little bit more weight than yours, given that I've raised him for the last nine years. I trust that's enough virtue to over-rule your opinion.

You can't predict how children react when they become teenagers. He might grow in one direction and seek independence and rebel like most teenagers. You do have an unrealistic attitude to think you'll know your son will never ever say such a thing.

He might do a lot of things, but one thing he won't do is disrespect his parents. He simply doesn't have it in his manner nor in his nature. He's been brought up to respect people, and treat them as he would want to be treated. You have the unrealistic attitude if you think you know my son better than I do.

Do you honestly think the parents of children who rebel (and I've seen many go from polite and nice, to firy and rebellious) thought their kids would grow up to rebel? Doubtful. They think the same as you do until it happens. And it's all as common as muck.

People don't rebel if you don't give them a reason to rebel, and if you've raised a child to the point where he's developed expensive taste and a poor work ethnic, you're gonna get trouble when the peer pressure ramps up a couple of notches. Already at 9 years of age he wanted an iphone 5. He was told he could pay for it out of his own savings. He bought himself a €20 phone instead.

It's just part of growing up, and nearly all the time the insults are not meant.

I think I might see where you're coming from now alright, as in slagging like? Jesus we slag each other all the time, well, a lot of the time anyway, came in from work the other evening -

Son: "Hey Knobhead Senior"

Me: "Hey Knobhead Junior"...

That's par for the course, I thought you were talking along the lines of what we witnessed in the video!

If you think your child is incapable of talking back, you're in for a seriously rude awakening. Rebellion is part of growing up and establishing independence -it's extremely common behaviour.

Just like people will say smoking is part of growing up, drinking is part of growing up, underage sex is all part of growing up, it's extremely common behaviour sure... except it's not really. Maybe I'm just out of touch because I'm old fashioned though... I doubt it.

That's why it just sounds so irrational to throw him out for calling his mom a bitch. It's utterly ridiculous.

It's only irrational though to you because maybe you don't see calling a woman a bitch the same way I do. A bitch is a female dog. My wife, the child's mother, is not a dog, and in the unlikely event that he were ever to refer to his mother as a dog, or a bitch, he'd be the one going outside the door. Sounds perfectly rational to me anyway, and to my son, because he is well aware of the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Tbh, I think sucking a dick would be the thing to finally get some of your fascination about homosexuality out of your system.

Like, you seem to post in every gay related thread, yet don't post hugely in other threads, so clearly there's something drawing you to them.

You've just lost the argument. So, away with you and suck whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Turtwig wrote: »
    Man, human driven ideologies can be so fcked up. .

Religion is fcked up.

He called her a bitch AFTER she called him a piece of sh1t, and his dad called him a queer. They clearly don't respect him, why should he respect them?

Was that before now or after he disrespected their right to privacy by recording the incident?

We can't say for certain how they feel about their son. They raised him and wiped his hole and fed him and clothed him, even made sure he had access to education that taught him "It's ok to be gay", despite their religious beliefs.

Why should he respect them though, when they only sought to have what they thought was an intervention with their son (look I don't agree with this intervention stuff, but it's becoming more popular), which was the best way as far as they were concerned that they could help their son.

Nobody had even mentioned what he'd written on his Facebook until he decided he was gonna start kicking off like a spoilt child, thinking he was something special giving it welly with the hillbilly guide to being gay. He was basically giving two fingers to everything his parents whole lives, and most of his, were based on, and you think that was showing respect?

No. No it really wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I rewatched the video again. Geez that guys voice is very annoying. Goes through your brain after a bit.

But accordingly putting a roof over someones head and feeding them for years is "not raising them" :rolleyes:
    I honestly think this guy is an ass. Now the parents came off really bad too. But its just the whole recording the video, uploading the video (airing your dirty laundry) and being an attention seeker about it.

Not to mention putting your hand out. Seriously, why would anyone give him money :confused:

Was that before now or after he disrespected their right to privacy by recording the incident?

We can't say for certain how they feel about their son. They raised him and wiped his hole and fed him and clothed him, even made sure he had access to education that taught him "It's ok to be gay", despite[/b] their religious beliefs.

Why should he respect them though, when they only sought to have what they thought was an intervention with their son (look I don't agree with this intervention stuff, but it's becoming more popular), which was the best way as far as they were concerned that they could help their son.

Nobody had even mentioned what he'd written on his Facebook until he decided he was gonna start kicking off like a spoilt child, thinking he was something special giving it welly with the hillbilly guide to being gay. He was basically giving two fingers to everything his parents whole lives, and most of his, were based on, and you think that was showing respect?

No. No it really wasn't.

I agree that there's a lot of disrespect flying around in all directions but the bit in bold is the problem. They're attitude is that there's something wrong with him, some sort of weird defect that he can fix with just a little help. Which is total BS and is an opinion that deserves absolutely no respect. You're right in that he owes them respect for certain things, but respect for a person isn't a constant, it changes according to how that person treats us and how we view other people. The parents attitude towards their son's sexuality, and their beliefs re homosexuality go straight into the minus column.

We can't say for certain how they feel about their son. They raised him and wiped his hole and fed him and clothed him, even made sure he had access to education that taught him "It's ok to be gay", despite their religious beliefs.

No. No it really wasn't.

So..like most parents do then, what do they deserve a medal?

boo hoo, our son is gay despite our ignorant ass beliefs, they're entitled to them but he's entitled to call them out on their bullshit too. If this was a case of parents telling their 20 year old to get out and fend for himself it'd be a non story, but its parents kicking their son out for "choosing" to be gay, then verbally and physically attacking him, or whatever kind of scuffle goes on that we dont really see.

He's no saint either but being a parent means loving your kids regardless of their sexuality, not kicking them out because they don't like the opposite sex.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I agree that there's a lot of disrespect flying around in all directions but the bit in bold is the problem. They're attitude is that there's something wrong with him, some sort of weird defect that he can fix with just a little help. Which is total BS and is an opinion that deserves absolutely no respect. You're right in that he owes them respect for certain things, but respect for a person isn't a constant, it changes according to how that person treats us and how we view other people. The parents attitude towards their son's sexuality, and their beliefs re homosexuality go straight into the minus column.

Mmmhmm! See, that's an opinion that might fly for Stephen Fry, but nobody outside the confines of the Internet gives a fiddlers fcuk about Stephen Fry's opinion about opinions. In the real world people have every right to say "You don't like my opinion? Get the fcuk out of my house! You don't agree with my beliefs? GTFO!", etc. You get the point anyway - living in his parents house he has two choices - shut his pie hole and put up with it until he has the means to move out, or, kick up a stink and to hell with the consequences. His apparent immaturity was borne out by his behaviour.

The parents attitude towards their sons sexuality, and their beliefs re homosexuality are understandable. In this case it is the son who abandoned all common sense in favour of showing up his parents on the Internet. I wonder who's even paying for the Internet connection? Because it sure as hell wasn't the bum with the enormous sense of entitlement.

Mmmhmm! See, that's an opinion that might fly for Stephen Fry, but nobody outside the confines of the Internet gives a fiddlers fcuk about Stephen Fry's opinion about opinions. In the real world people have every right to say "You don't like my opinion? Get the fcuk out of my house! You don't agree with my beliefs? GTFO!", etc. You get the point anyway - living in his parents house he has two choices - shut his pie hole and put up with it until he has the means to move out, or, kick up a stink and to hell with the consequences. His apparent immaturity was borne out by his behaviour.

The parents attitude towards their sons sexuality, and their beliefs re homosexuality are understandable. In this case it is the son who abandoned all common sense in favour of showing up his parents on the Internet. I wonder who's even paying for the Internet connection? Because it sure as hell wasn't the bum with the enormous sense of entitlement.

Oh come on now, they even say themselves they knew he was gay, then when he comes out to them their first inclination is to kick him out? That's not rational behaviour. Nice message to send to people by the way, don't be yourself until you don't live under a bigots roof anymore. That's exactly the kind of reasoning that has suicide as high as it is amongst gay teenagers and young people.

Not all beliefs should be respected, it's nonsensical to think otherwise. They're kicking him out because of what he is, not what he thinks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement