Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man comes out to family about being Gay, does not go well

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

So the parents were doing everything right and the boy is the problem?

Don't believe anyone has said that ??

Like most things in life that people are trying to judge on a few mins of potato-filmed video, everybody has different views and interpretations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

So the parents were doing everything right and the boy is the problem?

Obviously, he violently stood up! I can imagine the court room..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

Good point, padd :) They are the fools.

Oh come on. It's personal family business. Tom, Dick and Harrys such as ourselves should never been allowed to witness that conversation. It should never have been uploaded. In fact it should have never been recorded.

I AM SORRY?
    WE SHOULD NOT KNOW THE EXACT ABUSE THAT GOES ON?
    KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY?
    **** OFF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Obviously, he violently stood up! I can imagine the court room..

"Your honour, he stood up in a violent manner and gave me a funny look!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

catallus wrote: »
    Zoooooooom!

Hmm maybe you'll understand a picture a bit better than big confusing words

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

McDermotX wrote: »
    Don't believe anyone has said that ??

Like most things in life that people are trying to judge on a few mins of potato-filmed video, everybody has different views and interpretations.

And yet we have some people making personal comments such as how he has no work ethic and should be respecting his parents. While he could have handled it better his parents started all of it and should have treated him like a person instead they make it out that being gay is a big deal and he is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I can't believe some posters on here. The poor lad, he gets the courage to tell his redneck parents about his sexual orientation and he probably guessed they would turn on him. They did. The only explanation there can be is he was hoping they would love him for who he is. If he didn't care about them he wouldn't bother to tell them.
    And the parents while obviously thick as two planks should have some compassion, their own child ?? WTF
    Just shows you what control the church has on poorly educated people.
    I'm sure that lad will get on with his life, his whole tone on that clip was extremely composed and he was very articulate. Hard for him now but I think he will be ok.

The saddest part are people on here that think he is in anyway in the wrong. Huh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Here is the ultimate kicker and I dare anyone to say otherwise.
    He originally asked for $2,000 (imo, asking even for 1 dollar was cheeky, but whatever) But here we are and it stands at over $63,000.

Question .... why hasnt he ended the fundraiser ;)
    We all know the answer why :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

They shouted at him that he was a 'queer', why no object to the parents that view it as acceptable to do that? You're ignoring the parent's actions and arguing they have just cause however he simply said he was born that way. They went on to say,stop being gay or move out as we do not condone that. They are assholes to be frank.

Corkfeen I'm on now way ignoring or condoning the behaviour of the parents (a quick skim of my previous posts will tell you that I abhor violence I would've taken that as a given). You judge the parents to be assholes, completely ignoring the fact that they have raised this guy for the last 20 years, according to their beliefs.

Their son was more than aware of their beliefs, and chose to disrespect his parents beliefs. Now you might say his parents religious beliefs are this, that and the other, and that they are bigoted and all the rest of it, but that's pretty much meaningless tbh. If the guy doesn't respect his parent's beliefs, and makes little of those beliefs, then is not one as bad as the other surely?

When does being gay trump being religious? They should be viewed equally as part of the whole person. You're obviously not going to agree with that, but from the parent's perspective, they aren't clued in on the whole science bit. They default to religion because it's what they know, and for their son to turn round and tell them they were wrong all this time after they raised him according to those beliefs - that's bound to tick them off.

For him to behave in such an arrogant and dismissive fashion was just adding fuel to the fire, an already tense situation, and he knew what he was doing, and he knew what was going to happen, hence he was recording the whole thing without his parent's knowledge. Why did he not tell his parents he was recording it if he felt that he had nothing to hide and he wanted to be honest with them?

Because he wanted to rise his parents going on about science this, that and the other, when he knew full well they wouldn't understand what the hell he was talking about. He behaved in an appalling manner towards his parents, and they gave him exactly the reaction he was looking for.

He didn't want to sit down and discuss anything rationally or calmly, he wanted to say "I'm right, you're wrong. Science". To his parents he may as well have been talking Klingon, and well he knew it, and he knew he was making his parents out to be idiots.

Nobody should have to take that from their own children.

Final point,just because they raised him should not and does not guarantee respect. They used slurs against him,threw him out of the family and even made an effort to attack him all because of his sexuality. They're pretty damn awful parents so feck 'em.

Well again see, that's your opinion that just because they raised him should not and does not guarantee respect. In the parent's eyes, that's exactly what it does, and what it should do, and you're not going to convince them otherwise just by you saying so.

They didn't attack him or call him names because he was gay. They attacked him and called him names because he was behaving like an obnoxious little prick. They'd known for a long time already that he was gay and even started off the conversation by telling him that they love him.

Of course they're never going to live up to your textbook standard definition of perfect parents, but then again the fact they were religious and uneducated was always going to have them off to a bad start in your books. If this guy had wanted to help his parents understand his sexuality, then he wouldn't have tried to be smart with them and talk down to them in a language they didn't understand.

They're not terrible parents. They may be horrible people, but it should then come as no surprise to anyone that they raised a horrible son.

• Advertisement

Here is the ultimate kicker and I dare anyone to say otherwise.
    He originally asked for $2,000 (imo, asking even for 1 dollar was cheeky, but whatever) But here we are and it stands at over $63,000.

Question .... why hasn't he ended the fundraiser ;)
    We all know the answer why :)

In America you don't get social housing, money, medical attention without money. Parents throwing that lad out with a couple of days notice should be criminal. The mother said she knew he was gay so why react in such a manner.

If the lad gets 2k that probably keeps the wolves from the door, I hope he gets more money, if people want to help, be "Christian" why stop them.
    Or do you prefer the Christian nature of the parents

No Czarcasm,sexuality is an unchangeable trait. Religious beliefs are not on the other hand, his parents define him being gay as an offence against the family's religious beliefs. That's why they want him out. One should not be required to sit down to have a rational discussion on the fact that they're attracted to the same sex with people who call him 'queer'. He said he was born that way, big bloody deal! That wasn't arrogance,saying that their religious beliefs are not correct on the subject is perfectly fair to be honest. They wanted him that out of that house unless he was willing to pretend not to be gay.

Homelessness amongst LGBT is a big issue the US so I think he has highlighted the mentality of the people who so happily lob their offspring out of the home because of their sexuality. They may have raised them for twenty years but their religiosity for some bizarre reason allows them to view their own children as disposable if they offend their sensibilities.

That is also bull****, they called him names because they look down upon people that are attracted to the same sex. They wouldn't want to be related to such people according to his own grandmother. I honestly doubt there was any negotiation to be had and he should not have been forced into that situation. So I have no sympathy for those simply awful parents.

Gerry T wrote: »
    In America you don't get social housing, money, medical attention without money. Parents throwing that lad out with a couple of days notice should be criminal. The mother said she knew he was gay so why react in such a manner.

If the lad gets 2k that probably keeps the wolves from the door, I hope he gets more money, if people want to help, be "Christian" why stop them.
    Or do you prefer the Christian nature of the parents

My opinion is that he uploaded the video to air his dirty landry and perhaps be an attention seeker. But the video went viral and him or even his friends and him saw a way to help him out with donations. Cool, whatever, etc.

But here we are at over $63,000 - do you not see any greed in that? He already has more than enough "to start a new life" but whats better than 63 grand? ... how about 100 grand... or even better 200 grand.

I bet his F5 key is rubbed out by now. But all that remains now is a person looking to cash in for as much as he can get. People can all talk about whos in the wrong until the cows come home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

C his parent's beliefs included the belief that they're son was an abomination. He doesn't have to respect that anymore than a man of colour has to respect a racist's beliefs that he is less than a white person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A major problem in the world is the idea that we have to respect a person's belief even if it involves the diminishment of another person. We're living in a civilised country lets drop the BS

My opinion is that he uploaded the video to air his dirty landry and perhaps be an attention seeker. But the video went viral and him or even his friends and him saw a way to help him out with donations. Cool, whatever, etc.

But here we are at over $63,000 - do you not see any greed in that? He already has more than enough "to start a new life" but whats better than 63 grand? ... how about 100 grand... or even better 200 grand.

I bet his F5 key is rubbed out by now. But all that remains now is a person looking to cash in for as much as he can get. People can all talk about whos in the wrong until the cows come home.

Well 300k is better, so what, the more the merrier.
    You jump to some conclusion thinking his video is about greed or attention. I'm 48 and know little about facebook etc but for a 20yr old in america its like a third arm. He's been chucked out of his house for not lying about his sexuality and is looking for some help or its sleeping on park benches. Why would you think its greed ? its basic human needs he's after -- food and shelter. He would be an idiot to stop the fund rolling in.

• Advertisement

Czarcasm wrote: »

Their son was more than aware of their beliefs, and chose to disrespect his parents beliefs. Now you might say his parents religious beliefs are this, that and the other, and that they are bigoted and all the rest of it, but that's pretty much meaningless tbh. If the guy doesn't respect his parent's beliefs, and makes little of those beliefs, then is not one as bad as the other surely?

When does being gay trump being religious? They should be viewed equally as part of the whole person. You're obviously not going to agree with that, but from the parent's perspective, they aren't clued in on the whole science bit. They default to religion because it's what they know, and for their son to turn round and tell them they were wrong all this time after they raised him according to those beliefs - that's bound to tick them off..

Precisely like many an Irish 20th century woman / girl may have 'chosen' to disrespect their parents' narrow-minded, religiously inspired (but in reality socially-confirmist) views by getting pregnant in a land where contraception was banned and sex education was considered taboo.

For offending those beliefs it was a quick booting out the door or off to the nearest nunnery / concentration camp for pregnant unmarried women.

Now, in 21st century Ireland disowning your daughter and throwing her out on the street for being pregnant or worse, sending her off to some kind of forced labour camp for being pregnant, would be considered unacceptable and completely inhumane and maybe even illegal (if she were a minor). However, back in the day that's what was acceptable because religious beliefs trumped human rights and basic concepts of normal kindness towards your fellow human.

There was no YouTube and no internet to complain on and if you did, the majority of society would have said "good enough for you...".

I'm not seeing much difference here other than it's a man and he's just telling them he's gay as opposed to a woman telling them she's pregnant.

Aspects of the US today for gay people are much like what Ireland was like in the olden days for unmarried, pregnant women.

If you allow religion and tradition to trump human rights and dignity or put them on a pedestal they don't deserve to be on, that's precisely the kind of harsh, cold, nasty society that you end up with.

...and how much are you going to donate Gerry ;)
    I mean its for a good cause isnt it. I mean his deal is much more worse than starving kids in the third world, right?

Come on Gerry. Send 20 euro of your hard-earned money his way ;)

If one's parents hold deeply rooted beliefs that are racist? Should one respect those beliefs and refrain from bringing anyone of a different ethnicity home? You gotta have respect!

If one's parents hold deeply rooted beliefs that are racist? Should one respect those beliefs and refrain from bringing anyone of a different ethnicity home? You gotta have respect!

Just wait until he introduces them to his non-white, atheist husband who has communist leanings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Gerry T wrote: »
    Well 300k is better, so what, the more the merrier.
    You jump to some conclusion thinking his video is about greed or attention. I'm 48 and know little about facebook etc but for a 20yr old in america its like a third arm. He's been chucked out of his house for not lying about his sexuality and is looking for some help or its sleeping on park benches. Why would you think its greed ? its basic human needs he's after -- food and shelter. He would be an idiot to stop the fund rolling in.

I don't know how the rest of us manage without having to do all this mooching.

I really don't.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No Czarcasm,sexuality is an unchangeable trait. Religious beliefs are not on the other hand, his parents define him being gay as an offence against the family's religious beliefs. That's why they want him out. One should not be required to sit down a rational discussion on the fact that they're attracted to the same sex. He said he was born that way, big bloody deal! That wasn't arrogance,saying that their religious beliefs are not correct on the subject is perfectly fair to be honest. They wanted him that out of that house unless he was willing to pretend not to be gay.

For sure, I understand that sexuality is an unchangeable trait, and that religious beliefs are not unchangeable. I understand that, you understand that, but this guys parents do not understand that. It might not be a big bloody deal to you or I, but to this guy, and to his parents, clearly it IS a big bloody deal, and that's why him telling them that their religious beliefs are not correct and that his science is correct, was never going to make any sense to them. It'd be like for example if you had a strongly held belief all your life that the world was flat, and suddenly someone tried to convince you that the world was round by telling you that's just the way it is and you have to accept it. You don't, nor should you have to, and if I continued to try and tell you that the world was round, you would be well within your rights to tell me to piss off.

Homelessness amongst LGBT is a big issue the US so I think he has highlighted the mentality of the people who so happily lob their offspring out of the home because of their sexuality. They may have raised them for twenty years but their religiosity for some bizarre reason allows them to view their own children as disposable if they offend their sensibilities.

Homelessness anywhere, for any reason, is a big issue, but all this guy has done here in my opinion is made a name for himself, because jesus if he holds on to that money all for himself, I'm likely to think a whole lot less of him than I do already.

At 20 years of age it's high time he was out of there already anyway tbh, especially when he was aware that his sexuality conflicted with his parents religious beliefs. I don't think they viewed him as disposable, I just think they really didn't, and don't understand homosexuality. If you can understand homosexuality, then understanding that other people don't, really shouldn't be such a difficult concept to grasp.

That is also bull****, they called him names because they look down upon people that are attracted to the same sex. They wouldn't want to be related to such people according to his own grandmother. I honestly doubt there was any negotiation to be had and he should not have been forced into that situation.

There's always, always, negotiation to be had Corkfeen, and if you are ever to help people, anyone, understand a concept, then you have to look at it from their point of view first, and understand where they're coming from, and work on using their understanding (or indeed lack thereof) as a baseline, a starting point, from which you can create and foster greater understanding. He forced that situation by behaving in a confrontational manner towards his parents and he reacted badly instead of keeping his composure, and that's what led to the situation escalating the way it did.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    C his parent's beliefs included the belief that they're son was an abomination. He doesn't have to respect that anymore than a man of colour has to respect a racist's beliefs that he is less than a white person.

That's absolutely true, he doesn't have to do anything, but then if he wants to do something that conflicts with his parents religious beliefs, while he's living under their roof, at 20 years of age, well, he has the option to move out, before his parents throw him out. His parents don't have to accept anything they find unacceptable either. If he disagrees with that, then he should find his own place, pay for his own place, and then he can do whatever the hell he likes (though not in his grandmothers basement either).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Jaysus a lot of sh1te talk on this thread.

The parents are rednecks. Ultra conservative. Jesus loving nuts.

They would probably disown him if he dated a Muslim, or didn't own 10 guns.

My point being...not much point in arguing over their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

For sure, I understand that sexuality is an unchangeable trait, and that religious beliefs are not unchangeable. I understand that, you understand that, but this guys parents do not understand that. It might not be a big bloody deal to you or I, but to this guy, and to his parents, clearly it IS a big bloody deal, and that's why him telling them that their religious beliefs are not correct and that his science is correct, was never going to make any sense to them. It'd be like for example if you had a strongly held belief all your life that the world was flat, and suddenly someone tried to convince you that the world was round by telling you that's just the way it is and you have to accept it. You don't, nor should you have to, and if I continued to try and tell you that the world was round, you would be well within your rights to tell me to piss off.

Homelessness anywhere, for any reason, is a big issue, but all this guy has done here in my opinion is made a name for himself, because jesus if he holds on to that money all for himself, I'm likely to think a whole lot less of him than I do already.

At 20 years of age it's high time he was out of there already anyway tbh, especially when he was aware that his sexuality conflicted with his parents religious beliefs. I don't think they viewed him as disposable, I just think they really didn't, and don't understand homosexuality. If you can understand homosexuality, then understanding that other people don't, really shouldn't be such a difficult concept to grasp.

There's always, always, negotiation to be had Corkfeen, and if you are ever to help people, anyone, understand a concept, then you have to look at it from their point of view first, and understand where they're coming from, and work on using their understanding (or indeed lack thereof) as a baseline, a starting point, from which you can create and foster greater understanding. He forced that situation by behaving in a confrontational manner towards his parents and he reacted badly instead of keeping his composure, and that's what led to the situation escalating the way it did.

If you and the person you are talking to know this is unnatural and ignorant (disowning, attacking, being disgusted by a child because it has a genetic trait you dont like for whatever reason) why do you wind up defending it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

At this point folks, there's no point in engaging with the likes of Czarcasm and other such posters. He has a crystal ball with him apparently and knows something the rest of us don't about this whole situation.

As other users point out, any LGBT issues that has come up here on AH, Czarcasm (among others) has always been one of the fist to jump on the thread, and regardless of the circumstances the LGBT person/cause is always in the wrong and the cause of all problems, in spite of the facts of a given discussion and common sense. Its a common trend among some posters.

Just don't engage folks, the concept of common sense and common decency is just wholly absent from the evidence I've seen in a lot of posts here. No point trying to be rational with people for whom logic and common sense are alien concepts.

It would be fairly embarrassing to have parents like that tbh.

SpaceTime wrote: »

More of a reason not to upload the video :pac:

Rothmans wrote: »
    At this point folks, there's no point in engaging with the likes of Czarcasm and other such posters. He has a crystal ball with him apparently and knows something the rest of us don't about this whole situation.

As other users point out, any LGBT issues that has come up here on AH, Czarcasm (among others) has always been one of the fist to jump on the thread, and regardless of the circumstances the LGBT person/cause is always in the wrong and the cause of all problems, in spite of the facts of a given discussion and common sense. Its a common trend among some posters.

Just don't engage folks, the concept of common sense and common decency is just wholly absent from the evidence I've seen in a lot of posts here. No point trying to be rational with people for whom logic and common sense are alien concepts.

Kinky bastard! :D

You're also wrong btw, but carry on with the ad hominems, I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I would also like to ask Czarcasm, if it was the same situation but the child had 'disability' instead of being gay, would you defend the parents? (Assuming they were part of a religion that felt disabilities were an abomination). I can't see how the answer could be no, given your reasoning?

More of a reason not to upload the video :pac:

I instantly thought of Robert when I saw the thread title -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

****ing hillbilys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Nearly 70,000 has been donated...what a f*cking joke. Like give him a few grand, fair enough. But 70 grand is ridiculous.

Nearly 70,000 has been donated...what a f*cking joke. Like give him a few grand, fair enough. But 70 grand is ridiculous.

According to the Huffington Post he actually has a job too.
    Fools and their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Inanna

Upset you're not getting any of it?

If you and the person you are talking to know this is unnatural and ignorant (disowning, attacking, being disgusted by a child because it has a genetic trait you dont like for whatever reason) why do you wind up defending it?
    I would also like to ask Czarcasm, if it was the same situation but the child had 'disability' instead of being gay, would you defend the parents? (Assuming they were part of a religion that felt disabilities were an abomination). I can't see how the answer could be no, given your reasoning?

Jimmy I'll be honest, and I mean no disrespect when I say this but, I haven't a bulls notion where you're coming from or what you're trying to say.

I'm not defending the actions of the parents. I'm saying the way they reacted was understandable - you stick a crowd of horrible people in a room, and horrible shít is inevitably gonna happen.

I'm also at a loss as to how you'd try and equate or even compare any disability to being gay, but if you want to drag the thread off topic, there are many people who consider Downs Syndrome an abomination and would abort the foetus, and still they'll claim that the majority of people who wouldn't abort a foetus with Downs Syndrome must be religious and must be wrong because they wouldn't support aborting a foetus with Downs Syndrome.

Would you support parents who wanted to abort a foetus because it was detected that the foetus was gay?

There's no need to answer that, it was just a hypothetical.

Inanna wrote: »
    Upset you're not getting any of it?

Who wouldn't like a handy 70 grand like that? I'm not desperate for money though, I would never sell myself on Youtube or anywhere for pity charity. I have more than enough money for my age, I'm actually the same age as this fella but I worked hard for every penny I have.

I instantly thought of Robert when I saw the thread title -

A bit different to be fair. She's actually cares passionately that he studies for a exams and has a future.

A good Irish Mammy in that case.

Nothing embarrassing there and not remotely comparable either.

A bit different to be fair. She's actually cares passionately that he studies for a exams and has a future.

A good Irish Mammy in that case.

Nothing embarrassing there.

Ahh I know that ST, someone else would be bound to think differently though. All a matter of perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Inanna

Who wouldn't like a handy 70 grand like that? I'm not desperate for money though, I would never sell myself on Youtube or anywhere for pity charity. I have more than enough money for my age, I'm actually the same age as this fella but I worked hard for every penny I have.

I'm sure you weren't kicked out of your home or disowned by your family, either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

I'm glad this video has gone viral. These people and others like them need to be exposed for what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm glad this video has gone viral. These people and others like them need to be exposed for what they are.

Just a Q,

Has anyone actually been exposed, do we know who these people actually are? (serious Q)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0O0

I'm sure you weren't kicked out of your home or disowned by your family, either.

He's a grown ass man that's stirring shít so he deserves to have the apron strings cut.

If he was under 16 it would be a completely different scenario entirely as the parents would owe a duty if care, but at 20 feckin years old he's bitchin about his family on bakebook and being an insolent brat.

OUT THE DOOR TA FECK!

Should be grateful they put up with his camp/bitchy attitude this long!

0O0 wrote: »
    He's a grown ass man that's stirring shít so he deserves to have the apron strings cut.

If he was under 16 it would be a completely different scenario entirely as the parents would owe a duty if care, but at 20 feckin years old he's bitchin about his family on bakebook and being an insolent brat.

OUT THE DOOR TA FECK!

You will be such a good parent... :rolleyes:

You will be such a good parent... :rolleyes:

How insightful your wee one liner is - Give this man a clap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Did he use a secret codeword or something?:confused:

No. He sounded like he was gay by the way in which he spoke. Ive never heard a straight man talk like this fella did. The same way you can tell a mans voice or a womans voice or an Indians voice or an Australians voice etc......

take your perceived offence down to def con 1 there pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What is it with conservatives and their hard-ons for callousness?

If the 20 year old in the video was being confronted over having a non-white girlfriend, and he stood up for himself in the same manner as in the video, would there be such a rush to defend the parents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

OUT THE DOOR TA FECK!

Well aren't you just lovely :)

What is it with conservatives and their hard-ons for callousness?

If the 20 year old in the video was being confronted over having a non-white girlfriend, and he stood up for himself in the same manner as in the video, would there be such a rush to defend the parents?

If he was being disrespectful to his parents - shít stirrin & causing aggro....then abso feckin lutely!

It's their home, he's not a child dependant on them for a bed, plenty move out when personalities clash or their opinions on drinking, partying, not working etc etc etc, don't match.

I don't think their problem was just cause he's gay. It was his behaviour they wanted stopped, could be the bitchiness & two faced attitude OR that he's looking to bring home a boyfriend.

Either way it's THEIR home, respect it or GTFO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

OUT THE DOOR TA FECK!

So he was living at home and presumably that was fine and then he comes out and all of a sudden he's out the door...sounds a bit like emotional blackmail to me. It's his parents house, they can do what they like but morally, kicking your child out of the house with no concern for how they will manage just because you have a problem with their sexual preferences says way more about them then it does about him.

I also wasn't a pr*ck to my parents.... Believe me I've had some massive fights with my parents, far more violent physically and verbally than that video (and I'm sure many more people here have had worse ones too) and if I recorded them they would shock the vast majority of people but I'm not an attention seeking b*tch craving some limelight and a pity charity payoff.

He's 20 years old, most 20 year olds should be able to live independently if they have to. I'm away from home for 9-10 months of the year and I pay my way through college etc. and although it's tough it's easily manageable for me liek it is for thousands more students. If this guy doesn't have the funds himself to at least find his own gaff the he must be a lazy sod that was spoilt rotten by his parents financially.

Again I think there is more to this video than we are told... It's sad for the kid but I'm a little sceptical of how things have worked out quite handsomely for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement