Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man comes out to family about being Gay, does not go well

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

0O0 wrote: »
    If he was being disrespectful to his parents - shít stirrin & causing aggro....then abso feckin lutely!

It's their home, he's not a child dependant on them for a bed, plenty move out when personalities clash or their opinions on drinking, partying, not working etc etc etc, don't match.

I don't think their problem was just cause he's gay. It was his behaviour they wanted stopped, could be the bitchiness & two faced attitude OR that he's looking to bring home a boyfriend.

Either way it's THEIR home, respect it or GTFO.

Respect works both ways, using foul language to describe your own child is disgusting imo, there is no excuse for that. His living arrangements aren't the issue, I doubt his folks have changed their attitude now he is no longer living at home. They are ashamed of their own child because he is gay, that is unforgivable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

How insightful your wee one liner is - Give this man a clap!

You view being camp as a reason to throw your son out of home, in fact you appear to believe their rationale is justified. They're free to do it but they're terrible individuals at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭0O0

eviltwin wrote: »
    So he was living at home and presumably that was fine and then he comes out and all of a sudden he's out the door...sounds a bit like emotional blackmail to me. It's his parents house, they can do what they like but morally, kicking your child out of the house with no concern for how they will manage just because you have a problem with their sexual preferences says way more about them then it does about him.

It wasn't his coming out that was the catalyst though now was it?!

The woman admitted to knowing hi was gay since he was a child, but had a problem with his behaviour.

How do you know he wasn't starting to hure & tour with his new found sexual awareness & that was at odds with his modest family values????

The woman admitted to knowing hi was gay since he was a child, but had a problem with his behaviour.

How do you know he wasn't starting to hure & tour with his new found sexual awareness & that was at odds with his modest family values????

So your advice to a gay teen living at home is what, to hide it for fear of offending their parents? I agree their home, their rules but that doesn't apply to having to hide who you are. And its no excuse for the way they spoke to him. Wtf is wrong with them, other parents can deal with their gay children just fine. Its not that difficult to treat your child as an individual rather than a clone of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

You mean homophobia? Call a spade a spade, thanks.

So your advice to a gay teen living at home is what, to hide it for fear of offending their parents? I agree their home, their rules but that doesn't apply to having to hide who you are. And its no excuse for the way they spoke to him. Wtf is wrong with them, other parents can deal with their gay children just fine. Its not that difficult to treat your child as an individual rather than a clone of yourself.

Hide it??? As opposed to what, flaunt it?

A family meeting had been arranged because of something, i.e. something he had done to warrant one.

It wasn't being gay but his behaviour & lies & twisting of people's words oh & shít stirring on Fb that caused the confrontation.

Now let's give the poor wee mite $70 Grand, oh how he's suffered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Inanna

I also wasn't a pr*ck to my parents.... Believe me I've had some massive fights with my parents, far more violent physically and verbally than that video (and I'm sure many more people here have had worse ones too) and if I recorded them they would shock the vast majority of people but I'm not an attention seeking b*tch craving some limelight and a pity charity payoff.

Ah. Nice. Coming out to one's parents and having them disown you makes you a "prick" and "an attention seeking bitch". Gotcha.

Must remember to stay in the closet. Wouldn't want you thinking I'm a prick!
    He's 20 years old, most 20 year olds should be able to live independently if they have to. I'm away from home for 9-10 months of the year and I pay my way through college etc. and although it's tough it's easily manageable for me liek it is for thousands more students. If this guy doesn't have the funds himself to at least find his own gaff the he must be a lazy sod that was spoilt rotten by his parents financially.

Again I think there is more to this video than we are told... It's sad for the kid but I'm a little sceptical of how things have worked out quite handsomely for him.

Of course. It was all orchestrated for him to be able to make some quick cash. Jesus, this is just embarrassing to read.

Hide it??? As opposed to what, flaunt it?

A family meeting had been arranged because of something, i.e. something he had done to warrant one.

It wasn't being gay but his behaviour & lies & twisting of people's words oh & shít stirring on Fb that caused the confrontation.

Now let's give the poor wee mite $70 Grand, oh how he's suffered.

How exactly does one flaunt their sexuality? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Seriously eviltwin? You're not that clueless that you don't know what a Pride Parade is! That's just one example of how people flaunt their sexuality.

Most people will as they reach sexual maturity so especially in teens to early twenties.

Yano being all promiscuous & going with the wrong people as a way to rebel. Or going over board just to show the folks that you're independent.

I reckon his folks, who admitted they knew he was gay since he was wee, wouldn't have a big a problem if he was discreet with his sexuality - like most mature people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Inanna wrote: »
    Ah. Nice. Coming out to one's parents and having them disown you makes you a "prick" and "an attention seeking bitch". Gotcha.

Must remember to stay in the closet. Wouldn't want you thinking I'm a prick!

Of course. It was all orchestrated for him to be able to make some quick cash. Jesus, this is just embarrassing to read.

No what makes him a pr*ck is posting deeply private family matters online for the world to see with the hope of destroying his relationship with his parents even further. Highlighting the hardship gay people encounter? Yeah to an extent but the vast majority of people know this already, big deal. Of course every gay person should come out and tell their parents but not record it, post it online and advertise it on websites just to gain attention.

Well we don't know for sure do we if he had other plans other than highlighting issues gay people face, it just seems a little too sketchy to me and to many more. Why does he need money for? Where are his friends etc. that should stand by him and help him through this. He isn't the first gay person to be treated poorly and have to start their life from scratch. Why does he need donations for? He's living in f*cking America for God's sake, he's far from being stuck in poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Most people will as they reach sexual maturity so especially in teens to early twenties.

Yano being all promiscuous & going with the wrong people as a way to rebel. Or going over board just to show the folks that you're independent.

I reckon his folks, who admitted they knew he was gay since he was wee, wouldn't have a big a problem if he was discreet with his sexuality - like most mature people.
    So just keep it hush hush and don't ask, don't tell then and everything will be aaaaaaalllllllright?

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Seriously eviltwin? You're not that clueless that you don't know what a Pride Parade is! That's just one example of how people flaunt their sexuality.

He wasn't planning on having a Pride event in the house was he?

What is it with conservatives and their hard-ons for callousness?

If the 20 year old in the video was being confronted over having a non-white girlfriend, and he stood up for himself in the same manner as in the video, would there be such a rush to defend the parents?

Yes there would, because it has nothing to do with the fact that he's gay, or the non-white girlfriend or any of the rest of it. It has to do with his piss poor attitude towards his parents.

If you're going to advocate treating people with respect, then the first person you start with is yourself, and even if people don't respect you, you're going to make things any better for yourself by stooping to their level.

Be discreet or hide it you mean?

He wasn't planning on having a Pride event in the house was he?

That hasn't anything to do with what you asked originally though. You just asked how does someone flaunt their sexuality and I gave you a perfect example of people flaunting their sexuality.

Yes there would, because it has nothing to do with the fact that he's gay, or the non-white girlfriend or any of the rest of it. It has to do with his piss poor attitude towards his parents.

If you're going to advocate treating people with respect, then the first person you start with is yourself, and even if people don't respect you, you're going to make things any better for yourself by stooping to their level.

I think after 28 pages you're going to need to accept that the majority of people here might think that he actually hasn't done anything wrong, his parents are the ones who are AND they don't deserve to be respected simply because they're his parents. If you say it's not because it's gay then fine, but you do yourself no favours talking about flaunting sexuality and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You've got to love the hypocrisy of certain posters here:

It's unreasonable for him to expect unconditional love and respect from his parents but yet he's meant to give them unconditional love and respect.

That's a bit of a screwed up relationship.

That hasn't anything to do with what you asked originally though. You just asked how does someone flaunt their sexuality and I gave you a perfect example of people flaunting their sexuality.

I meant within the home.

• Advertisement

diograis wrote: »
    I think after 28 pages you're going to need to accept that the majority of people here might think that he actually hasn't done anything wrong, his parents are the ones who are AND they don't deserve to be respected simply because they're his parents. If you say it's not because it's gay then fine, but you do yourself no favours talking about flaunting sexuality and the like.

Hell I knew from the first page that most people contributing to this thread would think the guy did no wrong, but that doesn't mean at all that I have to accept it.

I only answered eviltwin's post when she asked how does anyone flaunt their sexuality, so it must be only you that sees something negative in a person flaunting their sexuality. I have no issue with anyone flaunting their sexuality, time and a place though and all that.

At least I wouldn't be trying to play dumb by pretending I didn't know what the poster meant, especially when those same posters are deriding other people for being ignorant.

I meant within the home.

Oh well in that case I'm just going to go with the most obvious example of the sex dungeon in the living room.

Silly question, silly answer.

Oh well in that case I'm just going to go with the most obvious example of the sex dungeon in the living room.

Silly question, silly answer.

It was a genuine request for how one flaunts one's sexuality in the home as mentioned by another poster. Not a silly question at all, if people want to throw out old stereotypes at least they should be able to back them up.

SpaceTime wrote: »

It's unreasonable for him to expect unconditional love and respect from his parents but yet he's meant to give them unconditional love and respect.

It's not unreasonable at all ST, but in his parents own home, where he was raised for the last 20 years, is it unreasonable of his parents to expect that he should respect them if he wants their respect?

He's an adult at this stage, not a child any more. He's a bit too grown up now to be expecting the whole love and cuddles from his parents. He's expected to behave like a mature adult and not a spoilt child when he doesn't get his own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well, I'd suppose his parents want God's "unconditional love" in exchange for their unerring and unthinking loyalty.

It was a genuine request for how one flaunts one's sexuality in the home as mentioned by another poster. Not a silly question at all, if people want to throw out old stereotypes at least they should be able to back them up.

Ok then a more simple and common example - kissing his boyfriend in front of his parents when they might be watching tv, or having his boyfriend stay over under his parents roof when he knows damn well his parents have a moral objection to the idea.

If he wants to carry on like that (please don't go reading too much into 'carry on', you know what I mean!), then he and his boyfriend can find their own place together.

• Advertisement

Ok then a more simple and common example - kissing his boyfriend in front of his parents when they might be watching tv, or having his boyfriend stay over under his parents roof when he knows damn well his parents have a moral objection to the idea.

If he wants to carry on like that (please don't go reading too much into 'carry on', you know what I mean!), then he and his boyfriend can find their own place together.

Their house their rules, of course if they object to people staying over then that is fine but that is not the issue. Its the fact he even likes guys in the first place they have a problem with. And they don't have to like it, plenty of parents don't but plenty of parents are able to put their own views to one side and accept the person their child is. Its not that hard to do.

It's not unreasonable at all ST, but in his parents own home, where he was raised for the last 20 years, is it unreasonable of his parents to expect that he should respect them if he wants their respect?

He's an adult at this stage, not a child any more. He's a bit too grown up now to be expecting the whole love and cuddles from his parents. He's expected to behave like a mature adult and not a spoilt child when he doesn't get his own way.

It's being a spoilt child when your parents calls you 'queer' and expect you to correct your sexual orientation to what their religious beliefs. That's exactly what they wanted him to do. So this is my final time dealing with you in this topic but to sum it up,parents behaving as they did is the lowest of the low. I have a hell of a lot more respect for their son over them.

If I ever choose to have children, I will not behave as they felt fit. It's not exactly a high expectation for humanity.

Their house their rules, of course if they object to people staying over then that is fine but that is not the issue. Its the fact he even likes guys in the first place they have a problem with. And they don't have to like it, plenty of parents don't but plenty of parents are able to put their own views to one side and accept the person their child is. Its not that hard to do.

For you or I, it's not that hard to do, but for some people, it is. That's also a simple and basic fact of life as much as being gay.

This is a 20 year old man we're talking about here, not a child, and while he was a child, his parents knew he was gay and didn't disown him or kick him out, so something changed to force them into a position where they felt a family intervention was necessary.

It wasn't as if they straight up kicked him out on the street and told him don't ever darken their doorstep again.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    It's being a spoilt child when your parents calls you 'queer' and expect you to correct your sexual orientation to what their religious beliefs. That's exactly what they wanted him to do. So this is my final time dealing with you in this topic but to sum it up,parents behaving as they did is the lowest of the low. I have a hell of a lot more respect for their son over them.

If I ever choose to have children, I will not behave as they felt fit. It's not exactly a high expectation for humanity.

I didn't realise I was forcing you to engage with me? Would you like to claim I'm responsible for making you reply now?

Behaving like a spoilt child is behaving like a spoilt child. When or if you do have children, you will instill your values and morals into them too, including your intolerance for religion, thereby perpetuating the cycle of hatred amongst humanity for those who are different from ourselves.

Ironic, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

For you or I, it's not that hard to do, but for some people, it is. That's also a simple and basic fact of life as much as being gay.

This is a 20 year old man we're talking about here, not a child, and while he was a child, his parents knew he was gay and didn't disown him or kick him out, so something changed to force them into a position where they felt a family intervention was necessary.

It wasn't as if they straight up kicked him out on the street and told him don't ever darken their doorstep again.

That's a very interesting point there, Czarcasm.
    Like lets be honest, listening to him for 2 seconds and you know he is gay. So it was no secret as the mother said. But they didnt throw him out at 14, did they? I mean the dude is a grown ass man. Who has a job.

Thats not to take what the parents said any lighter. They said some pretty harsh things. But so did he (the whole "thats not raising" comment)

Ahhhh. It's a messed up thing :pac: Still think we are only getting one side of it ... and thats the side who knew the phone was recording, uploaded it to youtube, who then stuck his hand out for money.

• Advertisement

That's a very interesting point there, Czarcasm.
    Like lets be honest, listening to him for 2 seconds and you know he is gay. So it was no secret as the mother said. But they didnt throw him out at 14, did they? I mean the dude is a grown ass man. Who has a job.

Thats not to take what the parents said any lighter. They said some pretty harsh things. But so did he (the whole "thats not raising" comment)

Ahhhh. It's a messed up thing :pac: Still think we are only getting one side of it ... and thats the side who knew the phone was recording, uploaded it to youtube, who then stuck his hand out for money.

I could ask why him being effeminate is anyway relevant, but I'm sure I'd get some roundabout answer which vaguely alludes to your misgivings about a shock horror gay person. Circle jerking as usual, congratulations lads ye clearly have the handle on the situation. Next.

I didn't realise I was forcing you to engage with me? Would you like to claim I'm responsible for making you reply now?

Behaving like a spoilt child is behaving like a spoilt child. When or if you do have children, you will instill your values and morals into them too, including your intolerance for religion, thereby perpetuating the cycle of hatred amongst humanity for those who are different from ourselves.

Ironic, isn't it?

I support freedom of religion although I may not partake in one but I don't condone treating people like crap because of one's religious belief.Express away but I'm going to view a person as a bit of a dick when they happily throw their children out because of their sexuality. :rolleyes: The exact same applies if a person doesn't like their child dating person of a particular race. But this apparently is a cycle of hatred but to be honest, I'm not sure what bizarre definition your going by. I'm not okay with bigotry(be it based on ancient texts or present day BNP members) and the lives it ruins.

I could ask why him being effeminate is anyway relevant, but I'm sure I'd get some roundabout answer which vaguely alludes to your misgivings about a shock horror gay person. Circle jerking as usual, congratulations lads ye clearly have the handle on the situation. Next.

I never mentioned anything about effeminate. I only said he behaved like a spoilt child when he wasn't getting much traction with his waffle about science.

I don't have any particular stereotypes in mind, and if anything it was a thread here recently where I pulled up other posters who assumed their family members and friends were gay based on their stereotypes. The same posters themselves were gay, so if there was anyone circle-jerking, nobody told me about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You have just accused me of being a homophobe because my opinion differs from yours.

Newsflash for you mate. A persons sexuality doesnt mean shit to me. It's 2014. Straight, Gay, Bi or Transgender. I just see Tom, Mike, Derek and Susan.

But you want me and people who share my opinion to be homophobes. Because that would make it easier to win the argument or perhaps you are so engrossed by homophobia that you see it everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I never mentioned anything about effeminate. I only said he behaved like a spoilt child when he wasn't getting much traction with his waffle about science.

I don't have any particular stereotypes in mind, and if anything it was a thread here recently where I pulled up other posters who assumed their family members and friends were gay based on their stereotypes. The same posters themselves were gay, so if there was anyone circle-jerking, nobody told me about it.

His waffle about science? You mean when he stated facts instead of meekly accepting his family's ridiculously ignorant insistence that he chose to be gay?

What a brat!

I support freedom of religion although I may not partake in one but I don't condone treating people like crap because of one's religious belief.Express away but I'm going to view a person as a bit of a dick when they happily throw their children out because of their sexuality. :rolleyes: The exact same applies if a person doesn't like their child dating person of a particular race. But this apparently is a cycle of hatred but to be honest, I'm not sure what bizarre definition your going by. I'm not okay with bigotry(be it based on ancient texts or present day BNP members) and the lives it ruins.

I don't support people pissing all over other people's religious beliefs when they don't suit them.

They weren't throwing him out because of his sexuality. They told him first of all they couldn't support his chosen lifestyle which was in contravention of their religious beliefs. He couldn't take it and instead went into a waffle about science, knowing it would get him nowhere and only antagonise an already tense situation. That's being a dick and a shìt stirrer and while you have no time for one, I have no time for the other.

This has nothing to do with race, and I'm not OK with bigotry and intolerance of religion either and the lives it ruins.

Their house, their rules, and the brat couldn't handle it. He won't fare very well in the real world once the money runs out.

His waffle about science? You mean when he stated facts instead of meekly accepting his family's ridiculously ignorant insistence that he chose to be gay?

What a brat!

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Okay everyone, slowly put down your egos!

None of us believes that a person should be judged for being gay! Lets stop pretending that anyone here believes otherwise!

Can we get someone up in here to close the thread now please? Thanks.

:pac:

#Don'tPunishMeForBackseatModding

Exactly.

So what you're suggesting is that whilst you live with your parents, you're not allowed to be yourself, have your own opinions or disagree with anything your parents say? You're spoiled if you deviate in any way from your parent's view of life? You must conform or else be deemed an ungrateful brat?

What kind of fucked up home environment is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Because of his sexual orientation they threw him out because it was not in keeping with theirs. So we should accept his views and not theirs? Should it not be live and let live. So what they don't agree, move out and move on with more dignity hopefully than with what he did. They come across as people who have had their world turned upside down and lash out because of it. He quite frankly comes across spoilt brat. Yes they did wrong and handled it awfully, how do we know they don't regret this. I know I have done and said things I regret in the heat of the moment. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors, well in this case they do now because he has plastered it all over the net. People have to know that some find it extremely hard to accept the gay community and think of it as totally wrong. That's ok, that's their prerogative, It is however sad when it ends up like this when they cannot even accept their own childs sexuality.

• Advertisement

So what you're suggesting is that whilst you live with your parents, you're not allowed to be yourself, have your own opinions or disagree with anything your parents say? You're spoiled if you deviate in any way from your parent's view of life? You must conform or else be deemed an ungrateful brat?

What kind of fucked up home environment is that?

Most home environments all over the world is what it is, y'know, where parents say what does and doesn't go on in their own home, and if the children don't like it - as soon as they are legally able to do so, they can up and leave and get a place of their own and pay for it by themselves like any mature 20 year old man would do instead of bitching at his grandmother/stepmother because she won't let him move into her basement.

I don't support people pissing all over other people's religious beliefs when they don't suit them.

They weren't throwing him out because of his sexuality. They told him first of all they couldn't support his chosen lifestyle which was in contravention of their religious beliefs. He couldn't take it and instead went into a waffle about science, knowing it would get him nowhere and only antagonise an already tense situation. That's being a dick and a shìt stirrer and while you have no time for one, I have no time for the other.

This has nothing to do with race, and I'm not OK with bigotry and intolerance of religion either and the lives it ruins.

Their house, their rules, and the brat couldn't handle it. He won't fare very well in the real world once the money runs out.

No,they clearly threw him out because he's gay(it's not a 'chosen lifestyle').... If someone's religious beliefs means they'll give up any likelihood of having a relationship in the future with their son,well they're utter fools. It's being a dick when you call your son 'queer', ramble about how they wouldn't like a homosexual in the family and basically go all old testament in casting judgement.

You do realise parents saying these things to their children, whatever age could easily wreck their lives. It's because of stuff like this that we have reparative therapy, massive mental health issues amongst the LGBT community and people who are forced to hide their sexuality(which is what these parents want). So yeah, if what I'm saying right now and throughout the topic constitutes pissing on one's religious beliefs so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I actually have pity for everyone involved, they just seem so uneducated and have grasped to the delusion of religion like so many people, to the point where they'll disown their son over it. Although, he's probably better off away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

There's an unconditional bond between kids and their parents, it's as simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

caustic 1 wrote: »
    Because of his sexual orientation they threw him out because it was not in keeping with theirs. So we should accept his views and not theirs? Should it not be live and let live.
    No? Why "should" we accept their view just because it's a view? You could say that about anything, but obviously there are views that are unacceptable and don't deserve "live and let live".
    They're entitled to their opinion in so far as they can have it, but others are entitled to be of an opposing opinion.
    They are staunchly religious, perhaps not very educated, products of circumstances, etc. That doesn't mean they're above criticism. Their view is leading to someone being cut out of their family for nothing other than being attracted to people of the same sex. He may be offending their sensibilities but he's not actually harming them - who he has a relationship with won't actually damage them in the greater scheme of things; they don't have to have a relationship with someone of the same sex at all. Whereas what they're doing IS damaging to him.
    So what they don't agree, move out and move on
    Pretty glib take on someone being turfed out of their family. It's hardly a "so what" scenario.
    Yes they did wrong and handled it awfully, how do we know they don't regret this.
    Well we don't, but maybe they do... and maybe they don't.
    People have to know that some find it extremely hard to accept the gay community and think of it as totally wrong. That's ok, that's their prerogative
    It is, but when it actually affects someone's life, it has more ramifications than just being a view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

TomoBhoy wrote: »
    There's an unconditional bond between kids and their parents, it's as simple as that.
    There isn't always.

Most home environments all over the world is what it is, y'know, where parents say what does and doesn't go on in their own home, and if the children don't like it - as soon as they are legally able to do so, they can up and leave and get a place of their own and pay for it by themselves like any mature 20 year old man would do instead of bitching at his grandmother/stepmother because she won't let him move into her basement.

House rules are one thing, but not allowing your children to express any differing opinions and expecting them to conform to your own standards is quite another. I know not of one household where grown children are expected not to have any opinions of their own. They are adults in their own rights, not mindless puppets. Not every child will grow up to have exactly the same views and belief systems of their parents; that would make them mere clones.

This man is gay and when he refused to be shamed or bullied into praying the gay away, his family cut him off, yet he's somehow in the wrong? It's 2014 and unless people like him stand up to bigotry and prejudice, we'd still be living in 1954, which is what some people here seem to want. Respect your elders - be seen but not heard. What's that quote from The Shawshank Redemption made by the warden....

"I believe in two things; discipline and the bible. Here you'll receive both. Put your trust in the Lord; your ass belongs to me"

This thread makes me really bloody sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

When you think about it, it's not much different to the horror stories you hear from this country in the past when some girl went home and told the folks she was pregnant and suddenly got dragged out kicking and screaming to the nearest Magdalene laundry by upstanding, pillar of the community type parents.

There are few things worse than keeping-up-appearances "Christians" who really only care that someone's going to think less of them because their kid is gay or a single mom or whatever their particular hang up(s) happen(s) to be.

Knuckle-dragging, conformist, bullying hypocrites is all they are really.

Nasty situation though and hopefully he's OK. I'm glad he's not a kid though, at least he should be able to stand on his own two feet, although if he's in university or something that could be a major career altering mess too, especially in the US.

Well you can thank good old Dev for that one. Religion weather it be Christianity, Islam etc etc should have ZERO!!!!!!!!!! say in the running of a country regardless of what the matter is.

No,they clearly threw him out because he's gay(it's not a 'chosen lifestyle').... If someone's religious beliefs means they'll give up any likelihood of having a relationship in the future with their son,well they're utter fools. It's being a dick when you call your son 'queer', ramble about how they wouldn't like a homosexual in the family and basically go all old testament in casting judgement.

Actually that's being disingenuous there, because when I posted here before that being gay is nothing more than a sexual attraction to a person of the same sex, I was corrected by floggg and told that there's much more to being gay than as Redzer would so eloquently put it 'where he sticks his dick'.

So while we can both agree that a person's sexual preferences are not a choice, their lifestyle certainly is.

If someone's perceived right to trample all over another person's religious beliefs means that they give up any future of a relationship with their parents because they refuse to show them any respect, then that is also that person's own choice. They are not forced into it.

The whole family were being dicks basically. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, except where his parents used religion, he used science, and trying to argue the two was like trying to argue with one of you speaking Irish, and the other speaking Chinese. It was just never going to work.

You do realise parents saying these things to their children, whatever age could easily wreck their lives. It's because of stuff like this that we have reparative therapy, massive mental health issues amongst the LGBT community and people who are forced to hide their sexuality(which is what these parents want).

You do realise you're being a tad over-dramatic there?

It's also because of stuff like this that people see some people as being a bit precious and sheltered and incapable of functioning in the real world because they've grown up in a bubble. LGBT people aren't the only people who suffer mental health issues, but there's a few of 'em are the most vocal like they're society's biggest victims. It's really not an endearing quality. Fortunately those few are only a minority of the minority of people who identify as LGBT, like our good friend in the video, who overnight had his cough softened to the tune of $70k. Nice victim complex if you can get it.

So yeah, if what I'm saying right now and throughout the topic constitutes pissing on one's religious beliefs so be it.

I didn't mean you specifically Corkfeen, I meant our hillbilly science guy in the video in the OP who knew full well that his family wouldn't be swayed by his scientific brilliance.

• Advertisement

Parents treating their offspring decently is like putting them in a bubble.. If a person called him 'queer' in a workplace or told him to pretend that he isn't gay for the sake of the reputation of a company, it would be classified as some fairly extreme discrimination.I feel you're one of these people who hates the classification of hate crimes...

Stop this bull**** of saying they're not the only people who suffer. I think most people get that but when your parents are responsible for it and could easily have avoided it,that's utterly horrible. For example I suffer from depression, I'm not gay but I was bullied for significant portions of my life. Your logic appears to be that it should be an event I appreciate in my life because they prepared me for the big bad world. They did not, nobody has treated me as badly as those people in school did. It left me with unnecessary struggles but I am glad that my family were not responsible for it.

You also did imply I piss on people's religious beliefs because I don't think they should treat their children like crap because of them... You said hate that I would teach my own children to have hateful views. :rolleyes:

Advertisement