Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make money with only 5 EURO

Options
  • 28-08-2014 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

If I were to give you 5 euro only what would you do to make money and profit with only that 5 euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 buppydogs

Sorry I've no advice with the €5 but could you sell any bits you have sound on local sites or start making greeting cards or something that won't cost you much to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

selling home made scarves at football matches. selling cheap flowers to drunk people.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shimmy Jimmy CocoPop

Put an ad on gumtree about your logo making services. High quality and professional design for only €30. Then go to fiverr.com to get the logo done for $5 and profit €26.50.

Buy something for a fiver in merchants market in east wall and sell it for a profit on adverts/donedeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Throw it in my EToro account and have some fun. It's only a fiver, let's see what happens!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads cut out the nonsense answers and cluttering up the thread with them

edit: nonsense posts removed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I did it today with 12euro but...halfords selling autoglym car shampoo at 6 euro instead of 10 euro. Buy 2 get one free. I've sold all 3 to friends for 8 euro each! :D
    I've turned 4 euro into 8 euro.win for me, win for them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If I were to give you 5 euro only what would you do to make money and profit with only that 5 euro
    If you doubled your money every day you would have €5120 after 10 days :) the big problem is how to double it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Axwell wrote: »
    There's the option to just not post..

Can anybody name anyone in all of history who has built a successful enterprise based on the equivalent of a fiver. I'm not talking about £5 in Elizabethan England.
    I know the Packer fortune in Australia was founded on a good day at the race track with a found 10 shilling note back in the 19th century. It came in at 12 to 1. Even that involves gambling of sorts.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Clyde_Packer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Generating profit was what the OP asked about, not necessarily turning it into a successful business. Gambling is one option but its a gamble of course and you could as easily lose the fiver. There are plenty of ways business wise to make profit on a fiver, most however will only make a small profit and you then have to repeat the process over and over using the profit to buy more of the goods and sell them on again. Its how most ebay traders get started but with a bit more money than a fiver to begin with but the method is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

From a strictly economic point of view it can be quite difficult to make a profit on an initial investment of a fiver as technically you would need to consider the value of your labour in your calculations - little point making a 3 Euro profit if it took you three hours work to do so.

Given this, there are cases where the 5 Euro capital allows you the opportunity to get paid for your labour. Something simple as using the money to buy body paint, then charging people at the beach to paint them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Similar to corinthians post

you could use the €5 online to bid for contracts on contracting sites. Thery limit the amount of times you can bid but allow you to buy more credits then.

use the €5 euro to advertise your services like gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Sell your underwear online. €5 for postage

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Go on to gumtree or one of the free stuff sites. Find something like free furniture to take away reasonable local to you. Borrow a van and put €4 diesel in it. Collect the free stuff. Use €1 to advertise on donedeal or adverts. If the free stuff is reasonable at all you could easily make 80 to 100 euro. Give a few euro to the van guy and you'll have your €10 plus time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

any ideas of making money without websites like donedeal, gumtree, ebay etc. Anything simple. I was thinking making simple laminated NO JUNK MAIL signs and selling them to houses for €1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

any ideas of making money without websites like donedeal, gumtree, ebay etc. Anything simple. I was thinking making simple laminated NO JUNK MAIL signs and selling them to houses for €1

Not a bad idea there, mate.
    However trying to sell them door to door would be a nightmare. People don't like cold callers. Also, they would have to have a backing made of something sticky to put on door letterboxes.

But 10/10 on thinking about ideas. Hmmm. Am trying to think myself. Tis' a hard one to come up with ideas with such little funding :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Not a bad idea there, mate.
    However trying to sell them door to door would be a nightmare. People don't like cold callers. Also, they would have to have a backing made of something sticky to put on door letterboxes.

But 10/10 on thinking about ideas. Hmmm. Am trying to think myself. Tis a hard one to come up with ideas with such little funding :p

thats the whole challenge. lets keep our thinking caps on :P

Well Manutd_4life,
    Seeing as how you've cancelled out online websites like adverts, gumtree, etc (Not that they would do much with 5 euro) But you are right in thinking you should go door to door.

Only logical step is to offer services. Like does your da or family member have a lawnmower or strimmer? (I say your da as I assume you are something like 16 / 17 sorry if i'm wrong )

You could use that 5 euro to print up and hand in flyers to homes because with only 5 euro in your pocket ready to spend, the only way of making money is to offer a service around the house or garden. General G.O. work you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Selling decent bunches of holly (with red berries) door to door as a kid, coming up to Christmas, was a profitable one for me, and doesn't even cost a fiver.

Also maybe you could bake a cake or two for a fiver and sell them at a local market ?

Also wasn't there a lad a few years ago who started out on an experiment, with an offer to swap a paperclip on craigslist for something else, who ended up swapping up untill he had a house ?

EunanMac wrote: »
    Also wasn't there a lad a few years ago who started out on an experiment, with an offer to swap a paperclip on craigslist for something else, who ended up swapping up untill he had a house ?

There was indeed :P
    But I am a bit skeptical about that. To turn something that is so small and worthless into something so valuable through mulitple transactions rasies an eyebrow.

Just checked it up and within 14 transactions he got his house. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_red_paperclip

Seems like a viral thing that would be extremely extremly, near impossible to ever recreate again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No mention of the airfares, or transport costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 msdoc

Can anybody name anyone in all of history who has built a successful enterprise based on the equivalent of a fiver. I'm not talking about £5 in

Bill Cullen, as he tells it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Warren Buffet started with nothing. He lived beside a golf course. When he was a kid he made his money by wading into the water hazards in the evenings and retrieving the golf balls. He then sold them back to the golfers the next day. Now he's one of if not thee richest man in the world

Alan Sugar came from a very poor back ground. At that time the roads were been up graded in London. The old roads had tar laid on wooden bricks. The bricks were been dumped but he realised that if you split them they made great firelighters because of the tar. He use to gather them up and sell them door to door. He was 10 at the time. It went so well he bought a wheel Barrow and employed a 9 year old to work for him.

It's all about vision and seeing the opportunity most others are blind to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I started by buying stuff from the travellers like doors, flooring, fireplaces, sofas, beds and selling them to people finishing houses during the boom where they were all in a panic to get them rented out, these were the "buy to let" generation who were suddenly tight for cash after investing a big whack in a house and needed to finish it cheap. Soon enough I found out where the travellers were getting them from and started importing myself and after a while I was selling the stuff to the travellers.

It imploded several times for various reasons over the years but going stronger than ever today, although with different products, not a millionaire yet but doing ok.

I know somebody in the UK who started with his credit card buying stuff from China and has built it into a multi million business today.

So it can be done with a fiver but the road is long, nearly 20 years in my case.

I'd say €5000 is a more realistic starting point, but to get the 5000 you can get a loan and if you flip your fiver enough times and put it in the bank then that will soon be collateral for the loan. Or if you get a job to get the finance for the loan then away you go with that.

There have also been stories of people getting multiple loans from banks. credit unions, credit cards, basically telling them all lies that this is their only loan, that raised the cash and away they went.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My first venture 30-odd years ago was buying schoolboy rugby international tickets for 50p off the first years and selling them for upwards of £10.00 (I got £35 for one in 1982!!!). Not sure what the going rate is now.......

Here's one I thought of this morning. It's blackberry season at the moment. Get yourself a bucket (€1) and go picking. Howth hill is packed with them at the moment and most of them will be going to waste. Also the moto cross place beside East Point Business Park is nearer to town and the hedges are loaded with them.

Sell them, by the kilo load, to a local supermarket for making jam.

This got me thinking of people who grow their own fruit/veg. Anyone who does knows that there is always so much left over, even after pickling and preserving. They end up giving it away to friends/neighbours.

Set yourself up with a stand at your local farmers market and buy the surplus from anyone who brings it and then sell it on for jam-making/preserving. Use the profits from your blackberry picking to buy in your first batch...... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Buy some loom bands, get the kids to make some club colour bands and sell them at juvenile athletic races or football matches. Give the kids a % of revenue and buy more stock

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

I failed my first year in college and when repeating the first year myself and a mate bought books from the lads that had progressed to second year for £10 and sold them to the new lads in first year for £15.

It was a big class so we made a good few quid in the space of a week!

As someone else said, it's all about identifying the small opportunity and exploiting it so that everyone gains

Advertisement