Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint guardianship and lone parents

Options
  • 28-08-2014 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi guys, not sure if its ok to ask this here, just wondering if anyone can help.

I want my mam to have joint guardianship over my daughter in case anything happens to me, she will have custody. Does anyone know of I do that will I lose my lone parents?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Guardianship and parenting are not the same thing. Guardianship just gives rights to chose education, medical procedures etc. So it won't affect your lone parent's allowance.

However if she is joint guardian you would need her signature for anything like passports etc as well as your own. If you are the sole guardian currently it might just be worth putting it in your will that you want her to be guardian in the event of your death.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

You'd be better off making a will to deal with it. I'm a lone parent and that's what I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Ms. Pingui wrote: »
    You'd be better off making a will to deal with it. I'm a lone parent and that's what I've done.

A will is fine if death occurs but if the sole parent ends up say, mentally unwell, or in a coma or something similar, your will won't give another person rights.

Advertisement