Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats predicting problems

• 28-08-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Okay this is a bit of an odd one, and it may have been a complete coincidence but it has peaked my interest. I posted in the chill out zone about how cream had become obsessed with lying on my tummy recently. And if I wouldn't let him up then he would go meerkat mode and stand up and stare at my belly. I thought initially it was the change in the weather, that he wanted my body heat, but low and behold I'm currently lying here in hospital after having my appendix out. It's located in the same area he would knead obsessively. I wonder could he have known that something was going on?? I know dogs can be trained to detect things but I'm starting to wonder do I have a diagnostician for a cat!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Oh no, hope you have a quick recovery!

I really hope cats can't diagnose, 'cos judging by Jakes nighttime antics, my heads about to fall off!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

Wow that's fascinating, hope you're on the mend. My dog treats my visually impaired granny differently and my dad's dogs steer clear of him for rubs and cuddles before he has a Crohn's episode so there might be some instinct in animals alright. My cat, who is 14 going on 6 months would be too egotistical to notice if I'd any ailings!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jayney Sillymango, hope you're okay! :eek:
    I don't see why cats wouldn't pick up on health issues, their sense of smell is astonishingly good, and I can only imagine that your body was giving off some sort of stressy vibes and odours with your rumbling appendix!
    Very interesting though... it'd certainly make you a bit paranoid if he starts staring at bits of you again :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Yikes sillymango hope you're OK!!

I really think animals have a sixth sense when it comes to things like that. I've an autoimmune immune disease where I have a lot of joint pain.. Max always seems to know when I'm having a flare up and licks my hands/joints etc which is so funny because he's still very scared and timid from being stray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

cream was doing a cat scan on you

sorry silly I just couldnt resist hope ur home soon

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    cream was doing a cat scan on you

sorry silly I just couldnt resist hope ur home soon

jimf banned for exceeding his corny joke allowance for the month.

:p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Dogs can predict seizures so I'm sure it's possible that other conditions can be predicted as well. An inflamed appendix probably causes a whole load of inflammation and chemical reactions inside your body that animals can pick up on.

Hope you're feeling better quickly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Dogs can predict seizures so I'm sure it's possible that other conditions can be predicted as well. An inflamed appendix probably causes a whole load of inflammation and chemical reactions inside your body that animals can pick up on.

Hope you're feeling better quickly. :)

That is very true. I've had epilepsy for almost 30 years. Our collie X clung to me like glue one night and it was very unlike him. During the early hours of the morning I went into a series of seizures one after the other, known as status epilepticus. It is life threatening and had never happened to me before. All I remember of it is waking up in hospital. So clearly he sensed something was wrong. Another time he jumped up on the bed not long before I had a seizure while sewing a button on.

My mum gets a lot of pain in one of her knees and 1 of her cats used to make a bee line for her sore knee whenever she had a flare up. He'd sit on the knee for ages purring away and the heat would soothe the pain. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'll be interested to see when I get home
    If he'll still be obsessing with my tummy. He's not getting anywhere near it though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

How're you feeling?

Apparently my grans dog hated everyone, then one day decided he loved one of my uncles. He'd try to snuggle into him and be around him, used to scare him because he'd bitten before.

Then said uncle was diagnosed with diabetes, started treatment and the dog went back to hating him.

• Advertisement

I'm grand, sore but apparently I'm recovering really quick. The nurse was like "oh when are they taking you for surgery?" I just shower off my wounds like "been there done that" :P apparently I don't look like someone who's just had surgery so it must be good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Hope you feel better soon Sillymango. Have they tried to get you out walking yet?

I think animals are amazing at how they pick up on when things are wrong with you. Whether it is you just feeling down or something physical.

Yeah I've been up and about a little, fairly weak when I stand up but I'm gradually getting there! Tea and toast went down a treat though so fingers crossed I'll be out tonight and be able to see if my personal cat scanner knows what's up :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Yeah I've been up and about a little, fairly weak when I stand up but I'm gradually getting there! Tea and toast went down a treat though so fingers crossed I'll be out tonight and be able to see if my personal cat scanner knows what's up :P

And if you know any dogs you could get a Lab report as well :D:D

Layinghen wrote: »
    And if you know any dogs you could get a Lab report as well :D:D

Damn! I was trying to find a way to work Lab reports into the thread!
    Damn you layinghen :p:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

SillyMango, get well soon!!! I'm sure Cream misses you loads and will be delighted to have you back home...

We haven't seen your entry on the kitty-naming thread yet, you're keeping your cards very close to your chest :) ... but then again, you've been otherwise engaged, these last few days, eh? ;)

New Home wrote: »
    SillyMango, get well soon!!! I'm sure Cream misses you loads and will be delighted to have you back home...

We haven't seen your entry on the kitty-naming thread yet, you're keeping your cards very close to your chest :) ... but then again, you've been otherwise engaged, these last few days, eh? ;)

Been keeping an eye on it but been a bit busy to go coming up with kitty names. Hmmmm I wonder..
    A kitten called appendix...:P

are u coming home this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

are u coming home this evening

Coming home? Is there something you two need to share with us? :confused:;)

• Advertisement

oh feck secrets out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Been keeping an eye on it but been a bit busy to go coming up with kitty names. Hmmmm I wonder..
    A kitten called appendix...:P

SUGGESTION BOX: Maybe not Appendix, but perhaps Op(eration) or Doc...
    :D Glad you're feeling better...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think you are being too trusting, sounds like the cat inflamed your appendix :p

I think you are being too trusting, sounds like the cat inflamed your appendix :p

It must have been, only explanation for it! He wasn't trying to warn me, he was trying to kill me :P

Home now (jeez jimf we were meant to keep that one quiet :P :pac: ) but the cats are banished from the room till I get a bit more settled and more painkillers in me :)

It must have been, only explanation for it! He wasn't trying to warn me, he was trying to kill me :P

Home now (jeez jimf we were meant to keep that one quiet :P :pac: ) but the cats are banished from the room till I get a bit more settled and more painkillers in me :)

feck it that's great news theres loads of ironing and cleaning that needs doing ;);)

and of course im willing to help I will plug in the iron and things for you

and of course im willing to help I will plug in the iron and things for you

Wow, you're a thoroughly modern man... Swoon... :rolleyes:

Wow, you're a thoroughly modern man... Swoon... :rolleyes:

I tries my best I does :D:D

I tries my best I does :D:D
    And I bet you're good looking too... SillyMango, I'm so jealous... :P:D

(In all fairness, he had a robins' nest for a heart, that has to be a good thing!)

And I bet you're good looking too... SillyMango, I'm so jealous... :P:D

(In all fairness, he had a robins' nest for a heart, that has to be a good thing!)

so it was you in limerick the other day with the feckin camera :p

I was always told you have to dress up for a lady

• Advertisement

Nah, that was my twin, I was busy making egg sandwiches and tea in Craggy Island Parochial House... and cake with cocaine in it... ;)

Advertisement