Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dying cow 200

• 28-08-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Entries for the Audax Ireland Dying Cow 200km Brevet are open until Friday 5th September 2014.

Full details on the Audax Ireland website.

(google - audax ireland dying cow - I can't post a link).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Anyone else doing this ? Looks like the weather might hold off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I am. Checking met.ie today brought a grin to my face - this would be my 2nd rain free brevet ever ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Yeah signed up too - a continuation of this weeks weather through the weekend would make some atonement for the WW200

Sound. Looking forward to hearing more about that new permanent Alek.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Wanted to do it but not enough fitness I reckon. Too late now anyway, applications in by last Friday.
    Getting 100k runs in but would need to up it slightly. Sounds a bit hilly as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

how does it compare to the ww200 in terms of difficulty.. i hear it was comparably handy enough?

Wouldn't be too far off, one way or the other.

ror_74 wrote: »
    Sound. Looking forward to hearing more about that new permanent Alek.

I'll ride it in the early October on my own, at slower pace, checking all turns and caveats, and submit it to ACP at later stage :) I'll certainly post on boards once it is ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'll be gallivanting around the hills of Clare instead. I hope I'll still be upright at that stage. Have a great day out and I'll be out for the Fratres Cruciferi at the end of the month.

• Advertisement

Ah the hills ( and wind ) of Clare. I got lost in the Burren last year looking for Father Teds house :)

If anyones cycling out to Bray I'm heading from the city center at 6.45. I'm gonna be on time for one of these brevets if it kills me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Planet X wrote: »
    Wanted to do it but not enough fitness I reckon. Too late now anyway, applications in by last Friday.
    Getting 100k runs in but would need to up it slightly. Sounds a bit hilly as well.

Same here, regretting not registering now. Really enjoyed it a couple of years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Not for me this year. I'll be off in the UK riding the Flatlands 600. Max elevation 150m should mean a lot less climbing and maybe I'll get to finish a 600...

If anyones cycling out to Bray I'm heading from the city center at 6.45.

Which way are you going? I am starting from Harold's Cross.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

@cdaly. Good luck with that ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Lambretta

Hi all,
    Saturday's weather is looking good !
    Is anyone else planning to do this GPS free ? Do you reckon it can be navigated with an old school waterproof map ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lambretta wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Saturday's weather is looking good !
    Is anyone else planning to do this GPS free ? Do you reckon it can be navigated with an old school waterproof map ?

I did it without GPS a couple of years ago using the route sheet and having a look at some of the junctions on Google street view the night before. Got mildly lost once near the end, but entirely my own fault.

Do you reckon it can be navigated with an old school waterproof map

Many riders do it using cuesheet alone - which will work well as long as your bike computer gives you accurate mileage.

I think Mirv had his computer stopped working in the middle of Ardattin 200 and had no map or GPS.... but still finished!

Thanks Alek & smacl

I will go with the cue sheet, bike computer and study the route the night before

Take a map too, just in case.

The biggest problem with cuesheet is when you get lost a little - you will need to keep substracting the amount of extra kms from every next turn.

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    Which way are you going? I am starting from Harold's Cross.

Usually go out by Sandymount and the coast. Could meet in Ranelagh and cut across ?

Anywhere by the canal will be fine :) Is 7am ok for you? Its approx 20km to go, so maybe earlier?

Anywhere by the canal will be fine :) Is 7am ok for you? Its approx 20km to go, so maybe earlier?

Grand - say 6.45 across from the Barge pub ?

Perfect.

I think Mirv had his computer stopped working in the middle of Ardattin 200 and had no map or GPS.... but still finished!
    Take a map too, just in case.
    I had this happen in the middle of the Angel of Mons last January. Just out of Slane, in the backroads, in the dark, freezing cold (at least the rain had stopped), my phone battery gave out (so no gps), my printed map was soggy and was unreadable and I had gone astray from the routesheet.

I ended up at junctions searching for the north star and using that to turn south each time...

The biggest problem with cuesheet is when you get lost a little - you will need to keep substracting the amount of extra kms from every next turn.
    What I do in this case is wait until the computer shows the distance for the next T junction, then turn the sensor away from the wheel magnet, pedal on to the T junction and turn the sensor back to the magnet. It means I lose my true distance covered but I'm back in sync with the routesheet (and I'm tracking by GPS anyhow)...

I carry a spare USB battery charge that works for phone and garmin. It also works as an extension to the existing garmin battery for longer rides. Got it for 20 quid on adverts.ie

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2009/10/07/ohgizmo-review-duracell-instant-usb-charger/

Same here. I just recently got an Aldi 12000mAh Powerbank for €20 which will be tested to the full this weekend...

I carry this little thingy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00721FN8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Snaps perfectly (almost) into my spare Lezyne Mini bracket, has 3000mAh capacity and can be used as emergency light, strong enough to see where Im going at night :) Not too waterproof, so I've wrapped it in a section of old road tube. Looks dodgy now but does all the tricks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Lewotsil

Hi all,

Attempting this tomor - first ever audax/brevet - have done plenty sportives but expectingto suffer as very little long spins done this year. I did the SKT a few weeks back so I should be good though.

Couple of qs - does anyone have the map - I can't export from the link on the audax? I have the cue sheet printed anyway if not. Also do audaxes have a mass start, do people head off in groups, if in a group would group stop/wait up for a 'stop naturale' or coffee break etc. as say would happen in a club ride ?

• Advertisement

There is no mass start, everyone heads off at their own. Some before, some after the start time.

Some people prefer to ride alone, others form groups, there is no pressure either way. Groups split and join naturally, too. Stops are also in your own (or groups) discretion.

No stress. This is Audax :)

See you!

Thanks Alek, bit of reassurance there ....looking forward to it.

There will be two of us there tomorrow taking it very handy, more than welcome to join us in the morning as a group if you wish
    I will have an orange Pellegrino jersey
    Lewotsil wrote: »
    Hi all,

Attempting this tomor - first ever audax/brevet - have done plenty sportives but expectingto suffer as very little long spins done this year. I did the SKT a few weeks back so I should be good though.

Couple of qs - does anyone have the map - I can't export from the link on the audax? I have the cue sheet printed anyway if not. Also do audaxes have a mass start, do people head off in groups, if in a group would group stop/wait up for a 'stop naturale' or coffee break etc. as say would happen in a club ride ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

See you all in the morning. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

I will have an orange Pellegrino jersey

You bastard I wanted to be the only one in Ireland with this jersey!:pac:

Ended up buying something else from Aliexpress instead...

A warm welcome and brilliant execution by the Audax Ireland crew resulted in another very enjoyable but tough event. Thank you for all your time and effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I carry a spare USB battery charge that works for phone and garmin. It also works as an extension to the existing garmin battery for longer rides. Got it for 20 quid on adverts.ie

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2009/10/07/ohgizmo-review-duracell-instant-usb-charger/
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Same here. I just recently got an Aldi 12000mAh Powerbank for €20 which will be tested to the full this weekend...
    Apologies for going off topic lads but just wondering can you charge the Garmin while moving? Wouldn't the USB port be obstructed while it's in it's holder? Sorry confused! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Apologies for going off topic lads but just wondering can you charge the Garmin while moving? Wouldn't the USB port be obstructed while it's in it's holder? Sorry confused! :confused:

Yes. Large audax saddle bag or jersey pocket.

My Garmin fails around 330kmish. Got an external charger for the really silly stuff

ford2600 wrote: »
    Yes. Large audax saddle bag or jersey pocket
    Yes but how do you connect the external charger to the Garmin when the Garmin is still recording? :confused:

Yes but how do you connect the external charger to the Garmin when the Garmin is still recording? :confused:

Another excuse to stop!

My Garmin fails around 330kmish..
    After a recent 300k mine still had 20% battery remaining. Does the Garmin give an alert when battery is on the way out?

• Advertisement

After a recent 300k mine still had 20% battery remaining. Does the Garmin give an alert when battery is on the way out?

Yeah but I've missed it on night rides. My MF1200 is a little patchy as a result.

Nice handy 300 Audax in Antrim next month you could test it

Another excuse to stop!
    Apologies for labouring the topic but I'm still confused. :o OK - you stop to connect the external charger but do you have to remain static until it is charged again?

Apologies for labouring the topic but I'm still confused. :o OK - you stop to connect the external charger but do you have to remain static until it is charged again?

No. Connect and let in charge out of sight. Only way I can do it anyhow

I kept my Garmin 800* plugged in at all times today. I've noticed that when it is at 100% it disconnects the charger, but then my charger as a start button - I can press it to re-start charging at any time, even while moving.

* - which lasts only for ~200km. You must be super fast guys to get 300k ;)

..You must be super fast guys to get 300k ;)
    The 800 drains the battery much faster than a 500 Alek! Nothing to do with speed. :)

Well done on your extra mileage today for the 252km challenge. I was going for it last week but became ill and had to get Mrs WA to rescue me so only got to 232kms.

... handy 300..
    Now there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one! :D

Well done on your extra mileage today for the 252km challenge.

I think I'm getting addicted to Strava :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

No. Connect and let in charge out of sight. Only way I can do it anyhow

Doesn't the 500/800 reset when you plug in the USB? Or do you start it with it already attached? Or are the external battery USB leads different to ones used on a PC?

Sorry for the extra questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Doesn't the 500/800 reset when you plug in the USB? Or do you start it with it already attached? Or are the external battery USB leads different to ones used on a PC?

Sorry for the extra questions.

Plugging it into a power source as opposed to a PC elicits a different response from the unit.

A warm welcome and brilliant execution by the Audax Ireland crew resulted in another very enjoyable but tough event. Thank you for all your time and effort.

Yeah super job by the two Pauls, Claire, Mark and whoever else made the day the most superb day I have ever spent on a bike(Mother Nature - if you're listening take a bow).

Roll on the Dying Light

• Advertisement
Advertisement