Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest Electives

Options
  • 29-08-2014 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, could anyone recommend from experience some of the easiest modules/electives in UCD?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

Maths for business, level 1 statistics if you don't have to take it already, algorithmic problem solving, sports management i.t., intro to cognitive science, applied biostatistics (if you've done a previous statistic module), enterprise innovation and entrepreneurship. I've done all of these and gotten A's in all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Considering compensation is being phased out gradually and the fact that perhaps two modules in six, weighted for your GPA calculation, won't make much difference, I don't see the point. If you need easy modules then perhaps you should consider a different course?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

agree with ironclaw. if you are looking to take the easy way out then perhaps college/the course of study you have chosen isn't for you at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

any with continuous assessment are easy for me, eg. IS 10040. I can't imagine to fail this one.

what you call easy may be different...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ironclaw wrote: »
    If you need easy modules then perhaps you should consider a different course?
    hdowney wrote: »
    if you are looking to take the easy way out then perhaps college/the course of study you have chosen isn't for you at this time

You guys are being very harsh on the poster.

You don't know their situation. If they're doing a course and they're bordering first or borderline 2:1 then they're entitled to look for every advantage available to them to make it safe - particularly if they feel others in their class will do the same.

I know in Law we found it frustrating sometimes because we had very little choice (I think 26 modules for 3rd and 4th year), and some modules were known for being absolute ball busters. We either had to look for easy electives outside Law or face sitting almost every available module in Law. If I am basically being forced to pick something outside of my school I'd rather pick something **** easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

the thing is you are not being forced to do anything. you CHOSE law. surely you researched it beforehand. and as to the op I only said perhaps. I'd be more than happy for them to come back and clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scrummonkey

ironclaw wrote: »
    Considering compensation is being phased out gradually and the fact that perhaps two modules in six, weighted for your GPA calculation, won't make much difference, I don't see the point. If you need easy modules then perhaps you should consider a different course?

What ? Electives can and do make a huge difference to your gpa. In my case ,they have in the past , meant I obtained a high 2.1 rather than a first. And yes I know it's down to me to ensure this doesn't happen but on occasion I have been obliged to choose an elective outside my discipline. To the op I say by all means choose an elective that you will find "easy" but to get an A you still have to put in the work , yes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

What ? Electives can and do make a huge difference to your gpa.

And isn't that the entire point of going to university?: so that you can come out with the right number attached to your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

And isn't that the entire point of going to university?: so that you can come out with the right number attached to your name.

For those of us who've matured past the youthful naivity that ushers in a view of the university as a noble place of learning and can see it for the institutional business that it is, yes, pretty much the only reason to be attending is so you can get a degree with the best GPA possible.

Nearly every year there seems to be a thread asking for easy electives and you always get a few people saying that's the easy way out. I disagree. Surely being resourceful and playing the game to your advantage is the clever thing to do. We no longer live in the 1950s. The job market is over-saturated in nearly every career domain - you play to your strengths and do whatever you can to come out with an advantage.

Even then - you have to be incredibly presumptuous on an astronomical level to walk into a thread like so and berate the OP. As someone mentioned above, he/she could be in some sort of struggling academic position and in dire need of help wherever it can be found.

Good luck in your studies everyone.

For those of us who've matured past the youthful naivity that ushers in a view of the university as a noble place of learning and can see it for the institutional business that it is, yes, pretty much the only reason to be attending is so you can get a degree with the best GPA possible.

Nearly every year there seems to be a thread asking for easy electives and you always get a few people saying that's the easy way out. I disagree. Surely being resourceful and playing the game to your advantage is the clever thing to do. We no longer live in the 1950s. The job market is over-saturated in nearly every career domain - you play to your strengths and do whatever you can to come out with an advantage.

Even then - you have to be incredibly presumptuous on an astronomical level to walk into a thread like so and berate the OP. As someone mentioned above, he/she could be in some sort of struggling academic position and in dire need of help wherever it can be found.

Good luck in your studies everyone.

Yes, gaming the system is a mark of maturity! And isn't that what every employer is looking for?: someone who always puts in minimum effort while attempting to get away with whatever they can.

You have a lot to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

You're are much better off doing useful electives because it separates you from all the 1000s of job applicants that did easiest electives that aren't relevant to their chosen career.

But if you're border lining 2:1 and need GPA boosters then go for it. But I'd be wary of "easy" modules because when everyone does well in it, you have to do even better than them to get A's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Yes, gaming the system is a mark of maturity! And isn't that what every employer is looking for?: someone who always puts in minimum effort while attempting to get away with whatever they can.

You have a lot to learn.

There's a logical fallacy in your argument there; you're assuming all potential employers are omniscient when it comes down to registered modules. Truth of the matter is they probably won't be able to distinguish between an easy elective and one chosen because it seemed interesting. At the end of the day, unless you're attempting to get accepted into a master's or PhD (where sometimes they have certain non-core module requirements), it's not going to matter. No employer is going to care whether of not you decided to do human anatomy I over advanced microeconomics. What they will care about is whether or not you got a first or a 2.1 - and guess where choosing an easy elective comes into play there?

Yes, I'd say working diligently, being clever and resourceful are marks of maturity, especially when contrasted against someone who'll let they're GPA suffer because they'd rather take more difficult modules for the sake of learning.

Again: you have a lot to learn. To wit: you can cheat or game your way through university, and you can fool your employer into thinking you're better (smarter, more hardworking, more sound) than you are, but you can't cheat or game your own life.

Here's hoping you gain the maturity to recognise this before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Jesus lads, its a couple of electives. Chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Should I be worried that I haven't chosen my electives?

I registered but I've been unable to choose my electives. Can I just wait until I start or should I ring tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 KingOfTheSouth

I think everybody knows tat apparently the easiest of all the electives to pick is the Intro to Massage module. I hear that thing is all based on continuous assessment and practicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

One day after a lecture when I was feeling too lazy to move I kept surfing the internet while a next lecture began.

The lecturer came in and set up the computer and then they started watching American sitcoms like Rosanna.

Toward the end of the lecture the lecturer started asking them brain dead questions about what they thought of the sitcoms.

I couldn't believe this was actually a module where you get to watch American television.

I don't know what the name of the module is but it seems unbelievably easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Picking really random electives that seem piss easy hasn't worked out well in my experience. I was in commerce and had an interest in computers so wanted to stretch out my studies a bit. At first I wanted to do film modules, but concluded that IT would be more helpful.

I picked Information Design having been told I'd never have to go to a lecture and I'd get an A... Attended every tutorial, 0 lectures and got a C I think.

On the other hand, I've done IT, Intro to Computer Forensics, and Digital Judgement as electives and got 2 A's and a B out of them. All because I was interested in them, not because I thought they'd be easy.

I'd say it really depends on how much effort you put into the module, which would be based on your attitude to the module in general, i.e. if you pick something you think will be easy, there's a good chance you won't put in much effort because you think you don't have to, whereas if you liked the topic you'd be willing to put in the effort to learn more about it and do well

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

Advanced Quantum Mechanics looks easy

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Digital judgement is relatively easy. There is a group project but realistically you could do in over a weekend and still get an A or B. It's interesting enough too and if you're in anyway computer savvy you probably know a lot of it already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 NVA

bigred100 wrote: »
    Jesus lads, its a couple of electives. Chill.

Preach! Literally just joined Boards just to commend you.

Advertisement