Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Student Buddy System

Options
  • 29-08-2014 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Anyone done this? I'm contemplating it but I've no idea what I'd be in for or what it actually entails so I'm looking for some first hand experience of it if anyone has any. :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

would also like to know

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Did it a few years ago. Just met at the reception, but didn't hear anything from the international students for the rest of the year. It's a good idea, but maybe I was just unlucky that the 4 of us who were put together didn't gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

^Likewise. It was such an awkward experience, and I didn't hear of anyone having a particularly good one. Going to pre-arranged meetings with, in our case, 6 people who also don't know each other and mightn't even care to, is not too fun. :P

I emailed them again in the second semester (honestly, only because the buddy system told me to), and none of them replied. That said, the two Canadians were gone home by then, and they were lovely -- but I'm not in contact with them anymore. They were nice like, but if the buddy system is meant to help people have friends in UCD to hang out with regularly, that didn't happen for me with any of them haha.

On the other hand, I met a great group of Erasmus students a while after by finding a language exchange partner and just becoming great friends with her and meeting people through her. Most of them told me they didn't even go to their "buddy meetings", and I can't blame them. It's a cute idea, but honestly they just lump too many people together and it rarely works out very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

They serve some really nice food at the meetings.

It all adds up to a free lunch!

Advertisement