Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distractions at work

Options
  • 29-08-2014 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Moved to a new office and a lad in there hammers the crap out of his keyboard. Been working for years and have never heard anything like it.
    Its incredibly distracting to me.
    Any tips on how to deal with it ? Is there any way to say anything someone to him - my guess is he's been doing this for years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Nothing you can do, apart from buy him a silent keyboard and hide his old one elsewhere in the office.

I work with a Kenyan who laughs one end of the day til the other (he he he .. except she's really loud and high pictched), that's one side of me.. the other side is a team of morons who use rubber stamps for at least an hour a day (the metal type that spins round) but seem to have an ink shortage so hammer them down hard. And now a new person whose phone constantly vibrates on the desk.

I hate the lot of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Put on a pair of headphones and listen to music?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Glue the buttons on his keyboard. Seriously though, talk to someone and see if they can supply him with something quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Have a word with him and ask him if he could cut down the noise.

If that doesn't work speak to a manager, you might have to lump it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

spent 6 months sitting next to someone who sounded like she typed with her fists, got earplugs. wtf is wrong with these people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I work opposite a woman who speaks aloud every step she is doing on her computer, without realizing how incredibly annoying it is and how much of a distraction she is causing me. Its open plan office and no other spaces available so Im stuck with her. Luckily she only works 3 days but my God she gets on my nerves. When she comes in and sits down it starts "Right, Ctr Alt and Delete to log on, now whats my password oh yeah I taped it to the side of the screen, now powering up. Right Start then Word, how do I access my last- oh yeah Recent Places".

All this narration goes on in a normal tone of voice as if she is having a conversation with someone and when coffee break comes she logs off and just switches into a normal person again for 10 minutes. I thought she was having a laugh at first but when I realized this is just how she works I had to put the Ipod on and ear plugs in on gentle music. I would have thrown the computer at her ifit continued. People are very very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is he a half-bald, crazy Cavan man by any chance? Used to work with a guy like this. He had to have his keyboard replaced every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Noise cancelling earphones are your only option. Expensive but worth it. Listen to something calm like the sound of wind or rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Noise cancelling earphones are your only option. Expensive but worth it. Listen to something calm like the sound of wind or rain.

Not every workplace permits this. Certainly in my job if you attempted to stick a pair of headphones on you'd have a tap on the shoulder within minutes telling you to take them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I sympathise with you I work with a guy who loves the sound of his own voice, never shuts up.....mind u if he was something to look at I probably wouldn't complain, have you gone down the route of asking him nicely not to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I work opposite a woman who speaks aloud every step she is doing on her computer, without realizing how incredibly annoying it is and how much of a distraction she is causing me. Its open plan office and no other spaces available so Im stuck with her. Luckily she only works 3 days but my God she gets on my nerves. When she comes in and sits down it starts "Right, Ctr Alt and Delete to log on, now whats my password oh yeah I taped it to the side of the screen, now powering up. Right Start then Word, how do I access my last- oh yeah Recent Places".

All this narration goes on in a normal tone of voice as if she is having a conversation with someone and when coffee break comes she logs off and just switches into a normal person again for 10 minutes. I thought she was having a laugh at first but when I realized this is just how she works I had to put the Ipod on and ear plugs in on gentle music. I would have thrown the computer at her ifit continued. People are very very strange.
    ....roly eyes......jeez that would drive me mad

Advertisement