Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why might "guest" appear in a Hosted Private Forum

Options
  • 29-08-2014 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭

Considering its private, why should I see x members (including offline mode) but then, "Y" guests.

I thought "guests" on boards.ie meant offline viewers?

Should it be always zero for "guests" in a private forum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Invisible mode users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Gordon wrote: »
    Invisible mode users.

Currently, the active users in this forum is 10 (4 members and 6 guests)

3 names are listed only (mine and two others). Presumably the 4th is using invisible mode. So are the guests in offline mode, I.e. Not logged in.?

If so, why should guests appear in a Hosted Private forum? Or is my understanding of "guests" incorrect?

In this forum it'll maybe take bots into account as well as invisible users, or something else, not sure. But in private fora the guests should only comprise of people with access that are invisible.

In this forum it'll maybe take bots into account as well as invisible users, or something else, not sure. But in private fora the guests should only comprise of people with access that are invisible.

Well, it doesn't in my experience. What I'm used to seeing in private forums is Active users x, and either the number of names listed also x, or else x- 1 or more, which indicates 1 or more users are using invisible mode. But "guest" has always been 0, until this evening. Hence my query.

So if it said 5 members and 0 guests, and only 4 names were listed, the you assume 1 name/user was logged in, but using invisible mode- but no offline users are viewing.

Hope that makes sense.

PS. I don't know what a "bot" is.

Ah ok, there's a discussion elsewhere about this that brought up a post from an ex developer here. It's due to registered users that tried to access the forum id but couldn't so were directed to a 'access not allowed' type page.

A bot is a spider, like google crawler for example. Bots may not actually show up at all, I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for taking the time Gordon.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

A bot is a spider, like google crawler for example. Bots may not actually show up at all, I'm not sure.
    Mentioned one time that Bots can't access Private Forums. Think it was a Thunderdome discussion Thread.

Yeah, but they could access the blocked page, however I don't think they show like that.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement