Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

more irish water nonsense

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Imagine Vodafone, O2 or Sky or any other company you're not with sending you an information pack but forcing you to sign up. ****ing hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Imagine Vodafone, O2 or Sky or any other company you're not with sending you an information pack but forcing you to sign up. ****ing hell.

You are "with" your local council for water - and their water services function has been taken over by Irish Water as legislated by the Dail.
    Because the councils never kept proper records of who was connected to what - now IrishWater have to try and find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Ogham wrote: »
    You are "with" your local council for water - and their water services function has been taken over by Irish Water as legislated by the Dail.
    Because the councils never kept proper records of who was connected to what - now IrishWater have to try and find out.

I'm sure they could find out without signing up to a contract?

steveone wrote: »
    I'm sure they could find out without signing up to a contract?

Some council's probably have no records of exactly who they supply - especially in rural areas. They have to charge now so they need to get details for billing . There was no record of who owned which house until the property tax came along.

EU have told Ireland that they have to charge for water - and now they have to find out who to bill .

emeo wrote: »
    Received my contract of doom, sorry starter pack today
    I am just wondering if they all are addressed to "the occupant"
    or if its just mine??

It looks like many are personally addressed too. Some have gone to accountants. It seems they have use property tax info - but where a property is rented they won't know who the tenant is in most cases.
    They are authorised to use data from Revenue , PTRB , Local Councils, Gas and Electricity Suppliers and Social Welfare .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

They are authorised to use data from Revenue , PTRB , Local Councils, Gas and Electricity Suppliers and Social Welfare .

Just imagine the outcry if another "company" -- say Airtricity -- was permitted by law to do that?

ART6 wrote: »
    Just imagine the outcry if another "company" -- say Airtricity -- was permitted by law to do that?

But they are the 100% state owned water utility - not a profit making company like Airtricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

But they are the 100% state owned water utility - not a profit making company like Airtricity.

They are not controlled by any minister or government department. They are permitted to borrow to fund capital expenditure. They are expected to provide €500m a year to government coffers (in tax, returns on investment, or what? Who knows?). They can seek to enter into contracts with their customers (the Irish Water application pack). They are required to be profitable are not a "not for profit" operation. Please explain the difference between IW and a limited company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can always send the pack back indicating that you're not a customer. Oh wait, you are. You're not being forced to sign up to anything, you already receive water from the public system therefore you're already a customer. It's not rocket science.

Any of those companies could send you the exact same information pack, but it would be a massive waste of their money because they already know who their customers are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

I was initially pro-water rates but this debacle is making me sick to my stomach.

Anybody know the consequences of not sighing and returning this "contract"?

I'm living on my own in an apartment, can they even cut me off??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Tim76 wrote: »
    I was initially pro-water rates but this debacle is making me sick to my stomach.

iphone Joan has stated that legally they cannot cut off your supply.

iphone Joan has stated that legally they cannot cut off your supply.

Has iPhone Joan advised of any penalties for not signing up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Tim76 wrote: »

They will bill you the standard rate with no allowance. The application pack is not a contract, it's an application for the water allowance. You are already in a contract by using the service. This is set out in the legislation.

They will not cut you off if you fail to pay. They will pursue you in the same way you would be pursued if you fail to pay the M50 toll.

They will not cut you off if you fail to pay. They will pursue you in the same way you would be pursued if you fail to pay the M50 toll.

Thanks for the clarification. Do you know what the the standard rate is versus the allowance adjusted flat rate for one person or where I can find this info?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement