Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk

Options
  • 29-08-2014 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

What are the key stylistic choices one should make in a cyberpunk setting? What imagery and feelings should the descriptions evoke? Should the reader draw parallels between our world and the cyberpunk's? If so, what? I'd like to develop my writing skill, and cyberpunk is a setting I haven't explored as of yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Mirrorshades of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

JackGM wrote: »
    What are the key stylistic choices one should make in a cyberpunk setting? What imagery and feelings should the descriptions evoke? Should the reader draw parallels between our world and the cyberpunk's? If so, what? I'd like to develop my writing skill, and cyberpunk is a setting I haven't explored as of yet.

To be honest, I think unless your very good deliberately setting out for a cyber-punk setting it is going to probably seem very dated, take a critical read of a novel like Snowcrash and the edgyness just seems a bit comical.

Suggestions would be, Gritty characters existing on the margins of society, urban decay, counter culture message.

Advertisement