Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing a new app.

Options
  • 29-08-2014 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I must apologise in advance if this is in the wrong section.can you advise me where it's best suited and I'll re do it.

I need to develop an app. At the moment it can be developed in google play as let's face it google is cheaper than apple.

Anyway

I'm not to sure weather to develop it myself or pay someone depending on the cost. It will be given away free so I might have to look at advertising or add ons as paying for it.

I'm not too bothered if I can develop it but I want to learn this myself.

Can you send me towards information on this.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

What research have you done so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Can you send me towards information on this.

You won't get any meaningful feedback on such a vague post, I'm afraid.

I assume the concept is vague as well, so you might want to try Android development for yourself first? If the free app is a vanity/portfolio type app, then just start with the Android tutorials (comprehensive docs, tutorials and sample code on Kenny's link above).

Then, if it's not working out for you, you can decide whether it's worth paying a professional, or getting it done on the cheap (students, developer market places, etc.).

Vague advice for a vague post!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I don't understand why it's vague. I need to develop an app. I know it can be done as it was temp done before. I did not think you need the detail if what the app does.

All I want is advice where to start which I do appreciate the link.

Thank you sincerely

I don't understand why it's vague.
    I think vague was the wrong word and other posters are being diplomatic.

The link you got in the end is something that typing "android developer" into Google would have gotten you, so while you admitted that you were not too bothered if you can develop the app yourself, it was also pretty obvious from your first post that you were not too bothered to make any effort at all before coming here and expecting people to help you.

It's like someone with a (working) watch on their wrist, asking you the time.

And that will tend to rub people up the wrong way, when someone turns up and asks for help, without having made any effort to solve their own problem first. And as a result you'll get responses that will reflect this contempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is amazing. Come over to me in heating and plumbing some time. I'll show you real manners.

My apologies for rubbing you up the wrong way genuinely I have tried a few different ways and have reached dead ends. I reckon there is more to it than I can appreciate so I wanted guidance

Any don't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Vague in that you don't state specifically what information you want! Do you want advice on whether or not you should develop this? Do you want advice on where to start developing in Android? Do you want advice on how much the app would cost to get done professionally?

This is amazing. Come over to me in heating and plumbing some time. I'll show you real manners.
    Get over yourself. You came here and did the equivalent of asking "I want some plumbing done at home, I would like to do it myself, but am not to bothered if I do. How do I learn this plumbing thing?"

I can't imagine that you'd be too enthusiastic to help someone who clearly hadn't bothered to Google "plumbing DIY" before coming to help, would you? All before you consider that they'd not even have bothered to ask what kind of plumbing - leaving you in a position whereby all you can do is suggest the most basic, generic site to visit that could be found with that aforementioned Google search.

And if you can't see that and your nose is still out of joint, then you've managed to learn nothing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brokenhearts

How did you finish up after. I presume you just wanted direct advice from people who know rather than having to wade through loads of google answers.

Advertisement