Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

IOS MDM Remote Management Profiles - Spyware?

• 29-08-2014 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭

Question about student IPad setup- all remotely managed by external company.

What hardware resources can an Ipad with MDM remote access profiles access?

I know they can remotely install software and en/disable features remotely to an ipad/iphone...
    Probably can see web histories, look through photos and emails...

But can the remote company activate cameras and microphones without the users knowledge?

Ta.

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

ozmo wrote: »
    Question about student IPad setup- all remotely managed by external company.

What hardware resources can an Ipad with MDM remote access profiles access?

I know they can remotely install software and en/disable features remotely to an ipad/iphone...
    Probably can see web histories, look through photos and emails...

But can the remote company activate cameras and microphones without the users knowledge?

Ta.

iOS MDM does not give the admin access to content on the iPad (mails, contact, browsing history, photos etc) and it has no access to cameras etc.

Actually Apple iOS MDM product is a fairy basic MDM. I am surprised that the external company managing the deployment hasn't outlined all this in very clear terms. Im assuming you are a parent of a child in the school? If so I would be questioning the credentials of the company managing the iPads ... any decent company doing this with children would leave no grey area or gaps in the understanding of parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

whippet wrote: »
    I am surprised that the external company managing the deployment hasn't outlined all this in very clear terms.... any decent company doing this with children would leave no grey area or gaps in the understanding of parents.

Thanks -

We were told via two public meeting they would lock down the tablets to age related apps. Thats fine.

But kid came back today saying they were warned by the managment company that they would be monitoring what apps they were using - he seemed to think that included photos and emails.

They were told to install something in their presence - dont know, I wasnt there - which would do the monitoring.

Kid was scared to use youtube at home in case he got into trouble.

All I can see are two management profiles giving them remote access to the ipad - but no software other than the expected books are visible.

Would like to know for sure its not webcam/mic access like what happened to the laptops (not ipads) here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbins_v._Lower_Merion_School_District

unlike those laptops - these though are our own purchased ipads - not the schools property, so I think we should be more in control of what goes on it.

Any links to determine exactly what its limitations of these monitors are?

Thanks again.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

It might just be something your child heard incorrectly or was told as a little white lie.

The management profile on the iPad really is just to warn if it is jail broken, warn if some apps are installed (snapchat etc) and also to push through wifi passwords in the school.

Advertisement