Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical engineering CIT - Level 7

Options
  • 29-08-2014 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello all, starting mechanical engineering in CIT soon, just wondering has anyone on here done it? What are the employment prospects like? Is it a good course? I had hoped to do a level 8 course but ended up with a D1 in maths. What do ye think? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Firstly: I can never understand why people sign up for a course and then two weeks before they're due to start it they ask if it's any good, or what the jobs are like etc.

Secondly: I did it, I found that it gives you the following:
    • AutoCAD 2D & 3D skills
    • Report writing skills
    • Maths skills for mechanics & thermofluids
    • IT skills

This course isn't great on its own and you I can definitely say that you will not get a spectacular job with it (ie: high pay, cutting edge technology).

It's strengths lie in the fact that you start from scratch and learn many skills (machining, welding, report writing, CAD etc and also has a final year project which teaches you a lot about getting stuff done within a time or monetary constraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I did the Level 7 Mech Eng course...

Really enjoyed it! Lots of practical, design and of course maths/mechanics!

I failed maths in year 3 and then failed the repeat! ( f*cked up I know!)

But I was lucky enough to get a job as an student engineer with a major pharma company in Little Island while I was repeating!

Went back and did a level 8 in Process Plant Technology after that.

Got a standard job in design for a few months after that in Intel with a contractor.

And am in a fairly high paying Project Engineering roll with a sister company of who I was a student engineer with!

Over all delighted I did level 7. Lecturuers are pretty great! Dont be afraid to ask for help or stand up for yourself if you dont feel you understand everything!

And everything works out in the end if you want it bad enough, even when you f*ck up like me!

Advertisement