Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trade in or sell?

• 29-08-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

have many people here traded in their body for a discount off a newer model?
    i am wondering if it's a better solution to trade in my 5d2 body and buy a 5d3.. or to sell the body first and then buy the 5d3.
    is there a huge money difference? i am not sure what camera shops give for bodies at all. i know you will lose a bit, but if it's significant, maybe better to sell body first. what have you guys done/think?
    any shops that you can recommend that do good deals for trade in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In short - it depends.

I recently traded in a body and lens for an upgrade with ISS, and it was a good deal.

But, usually you are better off selling the gear privately before replacing the items. I just got a very good deal and they offered me the going rate for the items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

When I upgraded my body at the start of the year I looked into both options and selling privately by far offered the best return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

thanks guys! @adox, did you sell via adverts?
    i must look to see what the current market value for a second hand 5D2 is... there's only about 11,000 max actuations on the body. had it nearly 4 years from new.. guhh.. i hate selling stuff lol "offer €50" :rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I moved from the 5dii to the iii a few months back and opted for the sell privately option. But at that point Canon hadn't the cashback offer on so there wasn't too many 5dii's on the market. When the cashback offer came out there was 20+ for sale on adverts and at that point I would have went for the trade in.

I did trade a lens in against a new lens, also at ISS and got a great deal off them. I'm like you about the selling stuff online, seems like more hassle

just out of curiousity, how do you find the 3, after having the 2? leaps & bounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Sell every time for me dirtyghettokid..Shops need to make their mark up. If the camera was worth 1000 on the market, the shop should be looking to make 40-50% markup, which means they'll be offering you 500-600.. Unless the shop is offering you a discount that's coming in or around 40-50% of the camera's price, you are probably going to lose some value with a trade in. Shops usually offer some warranty period in addition which is an extra cost they'll have to bear.

If you can sell it yourself, I'd recommend doing that. If you are looking to hedge your bets, ring up a few shops and see what deal they will give you, then put it up on a site and see if you get more. If you don't sell - pull it down and take it in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

thanks guys! @adox, did you sell via adverts?
    i must look to see what the current market value for a second hand 5D2 is... there's only about 11,000 max actuations on the body. had it nearly 4 years from new.. guhh.. i hate selling stuff lol "offer €50" :rolleyes::P

Yeah sold on adverts. A Nikon D3200 body with the kit lens. Was surprised at how quickly it sold, there was a lot of interest. Think I had it gone within 48 hours. Was less than a year old so I wasn't selling it cheap but it still shifted very quickly at very near my asking price.

adox wrote: »
    Yeah sold on adverts. A Nikon D3200 body with the kit lens. Was surprised at how quickly it sold, there was a lot of interest. Think I had it gone within 48 hours. Was less than a year old so I wasn't selling it cheap but it still shifted very quickly at very near my asking price.

possibly because it was an entry level dslr.. i think it may be harder to sell things that cost more. i haven't had trouble selling lenses and the like, but anything over a few hundred is hard.

i had a look anyway, it seems the 5d2 is going for around €1000 ish.... 200 lower than last time i looked, but the 5d3 would bring it down a little

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

There was so much in it for me, The 2 cards alone was something I wanted, the autofocus, the low light and the bracketing options for the dreaded hdr :)

I'm currently in the delima of a 1dx or to wait for the 1dx Mk II which along with a 4d Mk4 is more than likely going to be announced at photokina in 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Farmlife wrote: »
    I'm currently in the delima of a 1dx or to wait for the 1dx Mk II which along with a 4d Mk4 is more than likely going to be announced at photokina in 2 weeks

There's nothing on any of the rumour sites about a replacement for the 1D X any time soon, so don't hold your breath. Maybe in 2015, but that would be near the end of the year before you can buy one. :D

The 1D X is a fabulous beast. So much in it and it just works brilliantly.

• Advertisement

hmmm it'll be hard to sell the 5d2 if the 3 is way better!
    something to seriously think about though. the AF lets the 2 down so so much

Advertisement