Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAAD style shooting in Bray

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Given that the IRA and the successor "organisations" are heavily involved in the drug trade in this country, lets just call it a tiff between gangsters.

Roll on the shinnerbots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

when scum kills scum who is at loss ?

the law is . scum or not this nonsense has no place here

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Anyway this had nothing to do with RAAD or whatever they are.

Just another gangland statistic. When will the guards do anything about the situation..

the law is . scum or not this nonsense has no place here

Nobody gives a **** about a piece of rubbish getting shot. Its when they risk the lives of innocent bystanders that the law needs to step in.

Nobody gives a **** about a piece of rubbish getting shot. Its when they risk the lives of innocent bystanders that the law needs to step in.
    no it isn't. innocent by standers are entitled to no more or less protection then the scum which are entitled to the full protection of the state. the law needs to step in all the time, not when the rabel rabel types who break the law themselves while pretending to be self righteous decide. and thats the end of it

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

in a park at night ? the number o innocent people killed compared to the number of murders is very small. ,

in reality almost all the people involved in gang land murders have many previous convictions and where there a proper functioning criminal justice system they would mostly be serving life or long terms in prison where thy should be

I'm referring to the toerags being shot at while taking their kids to school. On a busy street in the morning. Another incident - firing a semi-automatic into a crowd of people outside a northside Dublin pub.
    If they want to play soldiers in a deserted park at night, then good riddance to them.

I'm referring to the toerags being shot at while taking their kids to school. On a busy street in the morning. Another incident - firing a semi-automatic into a crowd of people outside a northside Dublin pub.
    If they want to play soldiers in a deserted park at night, then good riddance to them.
    not at all. our boys and girls will step in wherever whenever as its their job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Given that the IRA and the successor "organisations" are heavily involved in the drug trade in this country, lets just call it a tiff between gangsters.

Roll on the shinnerbots.

Nope. Not in the past, and not now as the IRA have disbanded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Anyway this had nothing to do with RAAD or whatever they are.

Just another gangland statistic. When will the guards do anything about the situation..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

when some one innocent gets killed ?

fairly good record for looking up the killers of innocents to be fair

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Their deluded if they reckon their actions will achieve a united Ireland.

I don't think their actions are political just exclusively vigilante.

You misspelled propaganda.

You truly are backwards, those are just facts, not to paint them in a good or bad light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

He was shot by BRAD

Bray Republicans And Dissidents. They bad mofo's.

Nodin wrote: »
    Nope. Not in the past, and not now as the IRA have disbanded.

Exactly, I don't think the actually IRA needed to deal in drugs when they being given a presents large quantities of arms shipments from Libya & a lot from the states as well were Irish Republicanism is very popular with Irish-Americans.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

He was shot by BRAD

I actually think I'm going to have an asthma attack after that one. PMSL.
    Best post I've ever read on here.

He was shot by BRAD

Don't forget the INLA was formed in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

wasn't he only selling a bit of hash?
    bray used to be a lovely place wtf happened

Exactly, I don't think the actually IRA needed to deal in drugs when they being given a presents large quantities of arms shipments from Libya & a lot from the states as well were Irish Republicanism is very popular with Irish-Americans.

Gaddafi was giving the guns away for free ? Or were they the rocket launchers that grow on trees and don't need paying for. Sinn Fein / IRA and their pals in the UVF were up to their necks in drugs and protection rackets from the late 70s onwards when what US cash there was started drying up. Thats not anti-IRA for any shinnerbots waiting to type - it is simply how terrorists worldwide tend to fund themselves. Its how the USA funded a few private wars in South America doing side deals with the cartels.

Gaddafi was giving the guns away for free ? Or were they the rocket launchers that grow on trees and don't need paying for. Sinn Fein / IRA and their pals in the UVF were up to their necks in drugs and protection rackets from the late 70s onwards when what US cash there was started drying up. Thats not anti-IRA for any shinnerbots waiting to type - it is simply how terrorists worldwide tend to fund themselves. Its how the USA funded a few private wars in South America doing side deals with the cartels.

Yes, haven't you heard there's a lot of oil in Libya? The amount he gave to the Ira would have been worth about a tenner to him. He was also give them money as well, unless the IRA had to buy money of him. The arms shipments were in retaliation for the British Government's support for the US Air Force's bombing attacks on Tripoli and Benghazi in 1986

UVF & IRA pals? They didn't seem like pals when they were blowing each others brains out. Are you sure your not confused with some other conflict? Maybe the French Revolutionary wars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

AFAIK he was like....and providing training....though I don't think they should have anything to do with him....he had hundreds of millions in his bank account when ousted....and people in his country going hungrey/under educated

and he wasn't the saint of an ally that some very vocal ira supporters dream him to be

UVF & IRA pals? They didn't seem like pals when they were blowing each others brains out. Are you sure your not confused with some other conflict? Maybe the French Revolutionary wars?

For business purposes when it came to sorting out turf they certainly were of like minds. Ask anybody who ran a business in the 6 counties between the early 70s and the early 90s about protection money.
    Both the IRA and UVF were far more interested in spectaculars involving unarmed people. They rarely risked their own lives. Except when the idiots blew themselves up. I always wore a smile when I heard about some IRA ****wit being blown to bits. I cared less about the UVF - they weren't using my name to commit coldblooded murder.

AFAIK he was like....and providing training....though I don't think they should have anything to do with him....he had hundreds of millions in his bank account when ousted....and people in his country going hungrey/under educated

and he wasn't the saint of an ally that some very vocal ira supporters dream him to be

I agree with that the man was an absolute brute (which makes me wonder why the west were praising him just a few years before he was toppled) but when your running a guerrilla army like the IRA you'd be happy to take free weapons were ever they come from. The one thing they had in common was their hatred of the Tory government.

For business purposes when it came to sorting out turf they certainly were of like minds. Ask anybody who ran a business in the 6 counties between the early 70s and the early 90s about protection money.
    Both the IRA and UVF were far more interested in spectaculars involving unarmed people. They rarely risked their own lives. Except when the idiots blew themselves up. I always wore a smile when I heard about some IRA ****wit being blown to bits. I cared less about the UVF - they weren't using my name to commit coldblooded murder.

UVF yes IRA. The IRA would consider lots civilian deaths a disaster. And they weren't doing anything in yout name, they consider themselves the rightful successors to the second Dail, therefore they considered themselves the legit army of all Ireland. Was Ballyseedy massacre which was a Nazi style operation carried about by the National Army done in yor name? Are you sure this wasn't some dream you were having

Besides the IRA wiped out the IPLO a paramilitary claiming to be Republicans who sold drugs & that's what they got wiped out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yet there's no evidence that was the case, certainly no convictions, and no serious work on the era or organisation gives credence to the notion, to the best of my knowledge.

In a unrelated incident a 55 year old man who was in a wheelchair & had 5 kids was killed after his house was firebombed in the early hours of Friday morning.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0926/648119-fire/
    A house fire in Bray, Co Wicklow, in which a 55-year-old man died is being treated as arson by gardaí.
    The fire on Oldcourt Avenue broke out at about 4.30am.
    David Costigan was taken from the house by Wicklow Fire Service and CPR was administered, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr Costigan, who was in a wheelchair, was a father of five adult children.
    He had lived in Oldcourt Avenue in Bray for a number of years.
    His body was brought to St Columcille's Hospital in Loughlinstown this morning for a post-mortem examination.
    A man in his 20s was in the house at the time of the blaze but was not injured.
    Three units of Wicklow Fire Service attended the scene.
    The scene has been sealed-off for a technical examination. The office of the State Pathologist has been notified.
    Gardaí believe the fire at the house was started maliciously.
    They are investigating whether petrol or some other type of accelerant was thrown against the front door of the house or pushed through the door, resulting in a blaze that spread quickly.
    Gardaí in Bray are appealing for witnesses or anyone who may have seen any suspicious behaviour in the vicinity of Oldcourt Avenue area before 4.30am to contact them on 01-6665300, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800-666-111 or any garda station.

With the shooting a few weeks ago, a pipe bomb (that failed to detonate) attack in the same estate as the fire & now this Bray is starting to resemble The Wire (the HBO show).

Very sad, I knew the man in question a bit was in the house before he was very nice & polite. Although I knew his son was in involved in drug dealing & had been feuding with other drug dealers I suspect this was part of the feud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Eh, no its not. Its resembling any other similar geographical area and/or population for type and level of crime. 9th largest urban area in the state after Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Swords, Dundalk and Drogheda. Its equivalent in size and population to an area spanning Dun Laoghaire to Dalkey to Cabinteely to Deansgrange and back to Dun Laoghaire with Sallynoggin in the middle and has lower crime stats than same. When you read a headline about crime in the South East County Dublin area you read about the shooting in Sallynoggin or the arson attack in Dun Laoghaire etc etc. Because Bray is a large historically distinct town in and of itself as opposed to ex village Dublin suburbs, all crime is attributed to the Name of the Town in the headline and the particular area of Bray only mentioned within the article. So its Bray shooting, Bray arson, Bray drug....etc in the headlines making it seem like Bray has more gangland activity than elsewhere when it actually has the same or less compared to an urban area of similar size and population.

Brays image really does suffer because of the likes of these type of apples to oranges comparison that everyone makes without realising it. I was guilty too until I thought about. Brays druggy population is more visible likely because we are just far enough from Dublin to have our own distribution network and rehab network. The druggies neither have to head into Dublin CC to get their fix of the real stuff or rehab. Other suburbs of Dublins druggy population desert the streets of their suburbs most days to go to the Quays, O'Connel street etc. Ours have no need to. When they aren't in Dublin they are less visible in other suburbs because they are spread out among the old village centres of these suburbs. Pretty much all of Brays Shops and non factory business is concentrated in the area between the Seafront and mainstreet. Thus the druggies are concentrated there too and thus more visible unlike in Dublin suburbs.

Then of course you had the Dart. It brought Dublins finest out to Bray to play every weekend/sunny day. Its not surprising that when one would visit Bray and each time be surrounded by howayes, one might assume Bray was full of howayes 24/7/365. Of course people don't cogitate deep enough on the matter to realise that what might bring them to Bray (Sun etc) brought Dublins finest too. Confirmation bias. Bray is full of knacks. Thankfully, the Darts closed every weekend an entire Summer in 2006 for line maintenance, Dublins finest found pastures new and never came back en masse. They started shooting annual videos in their new daytrip destinations of Choice entitled Portmarnock/Howth Riot 2008,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014 etc Ever since Brays seafront has been gentrified, its packed every day Winter or Summer with families and walkers, joggers etc and a thriving cafe and restaurant culture has developed.

Brays reputation is broadly unfounded and the town and its image is on the rise.

Ask someone about Bray from a SoCoDu suburb who hasn't been to Bray since the 90's or early 2000's, experienced Dublins finest back then and still accepts the old stereotype of Bray and you'll get, "Bray...Braaaay!!...Jaysus, Brayruit wha, haha, wouldn't be seen dead in Braaaaay"

However, ask any one of the tens/hundreds of thousands of tourists and foreign students who've spent time in Bray in the last decade who visited after the knacks stopped descending on us en masse, or who haven't heard about Brays so called Bad image, and instead you'll get answers akin to, "We love Bray, can't wait to come back, so much to do and see, so close to everything, told all my friends to check out Bray, coming back to study English here again next year etc etc.

Hopefully with an improved image we can attract even more investment and self confidence than is already becoming apparent and bring Bray up to scratch after several decades of underinvestment due to our image problem.

Calibos wrote: »
    Eh, no its not. Its resembling any other similar geographical area and/or population for type and level of crime. 9th largest urban area in the state after Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Swords, Dundalk and Drogheda. Its equivalent in size and population to an area spanning Dun Laoghaire to Dalkey to Cabinteely to Deansgrange and back to Dun Laoghaire with Sallynoggin in the middle and has lower crime stats than same. When you read a headline about crime in the South East County Dublin area you read about the shooting in Sallynoggin or the arson attack in Dun Laoghaire etc etc. Because Bray is a large historically distinct town in and of itself as opposed to ex village Dublin suburbs, all crime is attributed to the Name of the Town in the headline and the particular area of Bray only mentioned within the article. So its Bray shooting, Bray arson, Bray drug....etc in the headlines making it seem like Bray has more gangland activity than elsewhere when it actually has the same or less compared to an urban area of similar size and population.

Brays image really does suffer because of the likes of these type of apples to oranges comparison that everyone makes without realising it. I was guilty too until I thought about. Brays druggy population is more visible likely because we are just far enough from Dublin to have our own distribution network and rehab network. The druggies neither have to head into Dublin CC to get their fix of the real stuff or rehab. Other suburbs of Dublins druggy population desert the streets of their suburbs most days to go to the Quays, O'Connel street etc. Ours have no need to. When they aren't in Dublin they are less visible in other suburbs because they are spread out among the old village centres of these suburbs. Pretty much all of Brays Shops and non factory business is concentrated in the area between the Seafront and mainstreet. Thus the druggies are concentrated there too and thus more visible unlike in Dublin suburbs.

Then of course you had the Dart. It brought Dublins finest out to Bray to play every weekend/sunny day. Its not surprising that when one would visit Bray and each time be surrounded by howayes, one might assume Bray was full of howayes 24/7/365. Of course people don't cogitate deep enough on the matter to realise that what might bring them to Bray (Sun etc) brought Dublins finest too. Confirmation bias. Bray is full of knacks. Thankfully, the Darts closed every weekend an entire Summer in 2006 for line maintenance, Dublins finest found pastures new and never came back en masse. They started shooting annual videos in their new daytrip destinations of Choice entitled Portmarnock/Howth Riot 2008,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014 etc Ever since Brays seafront has been gentrified, its packed every day Winter or Summer with families and walkers, joggers etc and a thriving cafe and restaurant culture has developed.

Brays reputation is broadly unfounded and the town and its image is on the rise.

Ask someone about Bray from a SoCoDu suburb who hasn't been to Bray since the 90's or early 2000's, experienced Dublins finest back then and still accepts the old stereotype of Bray and you'll get, "Bray...Braaaay!!...Jaysus, Brayruit wha, haha, wouldn't be seen dead in Braaaaay"

However, ask any one of the tens/hundreds of thousands of tourists and foreign students who've spent time in Bray in the last decade who visited after the knacks stopped descending on us en masse, or who haven't heard about Brays so called Bad image, and instead you'll get answers akin to, "We love Bray, can't wait to come back, so much to do and see, so close to everything, told all my friends to check out Bray, coming back to study English here again next year etc etc.

Hopefully with an improved image we can attract even more investment and self confidence than is already becoming apparent and bring Bray up to scratch after several decades of underinvestment due to our image problem.

Really? That's what you took from that story, do you work for Bray tourism or something?
    A 55 year old man in a wheelchair was burnt to death & the people who did it knew he was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

For anyone who doesn't know what RAAD is ......

I am someone who didn't know....am I the only one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 TheEnigma

It reminds me of an episode of a bbc drama series last year, some teen from Derry had to move over to England to escape men who were trying to kneecap him and by the end of the episode a bearded man with a Derry accent was chasing him around his new school in england and he was crying

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 TheEnigma

Well if your from donegal or Monaghan they were using your name. Terror is terror and the men from the 20s were no better, sticking bullets through brains in the name of irish people

• Registered Users Posts: 27 187187

Who or what is RAAD?

Sounds promising or something like a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Really? That's what you took from that story, do you work for Bray tourism or something?
    A 55 year old man in a wheelchair was burnt to death & the people who did it knew he was in there.

Of course that's not all I took from the tragedy. Condolences go without saying and were covered by everyone else. I simply chose to deal with another case of someone making Bray out to be like gangland Central. If anything, it's you that went off topic using this tragic case to bash Bray. Tbh though, neither of us really went off topic despite being on opposite sides of the fence on our opinion of Bray. You posted the firebombing tragedy in a thread about a shooting in Bray started a few months ago. Why did you choose this thread to post about the arson attack? Because it was gangland related. My post was gangland related too as it pertains to Brays image problem. Not off topic at all as it turns out. Had this been a dedicated condolence thread specific to the latest case, I wouldn't have used that type of thread as a platform to defend Brays reputation.

And no I don't work for Bray Tourism or officialdom of any sort. Just a resident of Bray who is sick of an unfounded stereotype of Bray being perpetuated any chance people get.

[edit] just noticed you actually started this thread...seem to defend republican vigilante groups, maintain they aren't involved in drugs themselves...Your surnames not Brady is it? Even after being nominated chairman of the council he still only points out Brays problems and never cheer leads for Bray or does anything to improve its reputation. Creating bogeymen and telling the people you're the guy to sort it out has been used in politics since time immemorial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

RA RA RAAD about ye?

Last week the same person the original post was about got stabbed in the back several times while he was on crutches from the previous shooting.

And than just last night someone else was shot in in Deerpark - an estate at the very south end of Bray.

I'm telling ya's Bray is turning into the wild wild west. It's like West Belfast from 1970 - 1972 when gun battles were raging daily between Republicans, loyalists & Brits. Punishement beatings happen all the time & just 2 years ago a 16 year old girl was stabbed in her stomach.

187187 wrote: »
    Who or what is RAAD?

Sounds promising or something like a great bunch of lads.

They were/are a Derry based Republican vigilante group who shot drug dealers or merely suspected dealers in the legs or arms. They've killed one person & are now branching out into Bray.

Their deliberately a small group (35 -50 Volunteers) so that their harder to infiltrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Last week the same person the original post was about got stabbed in the back several times while he was on crutches from the previous shooting.

And than just last night someone else was shot in in Deerpark - an estate at the very south end of Bray.

I'm telling ya's Bray is turning into the wild wild west. It's like West Belfast from 1970 - 1972 when gun battles were raging daily between Republicans, loyalists & Brits. Punishement beatings happen all the time & just 2 years ago a 16 year old girl was stabbed in her stomach.

So, the place has nothing much to bray about then? I went there a week ago to look at a car for sale. The highlight was the joyriders turning into the road we were on, crashing into a lamp post and bailing out running, chased by the cops. We kinda went "hmm.." and headed off. It seemed, erm, interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

You probably think you're coming across as a concerned citizen, but it's obvious to me that you're getting a major stiffy over this little fantasy of yours and it's pretty distasteful.

Maybe you'd be better off spamming your updates on Facebook. You might get some likes from the mammies when they're not busy reposting images of butterflies for their loved ones in heaven.

So, the place has nothing much to bray about then? I went there a week ago to look at a car for sale. The highlight was the joyriders turning into the road we were on, crashing into a lamp post and bailing out running, chased by the cops. We kinda went "hmm.." and headed off. It seemed, erm, interesting.

Yeah, well joyriders, pimps, paramilitaries, just gangsters looking for some money, shootings stabbings you name it Bray has it.

Nial Donald who works for the Sunday World actually wrote a piece about it after the guy who got shot got stabbed about about a week and week 7 a half ago..

• Advertisement

You probably think you're coming across as a concerned citizen, but it's obvious to me that you're getting a major stiffy over this little fantasy of yours and it's pretty distasteful.

Maybe you'd be better off spamming your updates on Facebook. You might get some likes from the mammies when they're not busy reposting images of butterflies for their loved ones in heaven.

You never heard of the phrase "nip it in the butt" I'm guessing.

My solution is to revive the Irish Citizens Army & go to war with these gangster draped in Republican colors.

You never heard of the phrase "nip it in the butt" I'm guessing.

in the bud, bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

My solution is to revive the Irish Citizens Army & go to war with these gangster draped in Republican colors.

What exactly is this supposed to be the solution to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

What exactly is this supposed to be the solution to?

The Bray. It's like Chicago in the twenties, apparently. Or worse. A lad got shot ffs. That doesn't happen almost anywhere else much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The Bray. It's like Chicago in the twenties, apparently. Or worse. A lad got shot ffs. That doesn't happen almost anywhere else much.

Ah, now it all makes sense.

Clearly the only logical way to stop shootings in Bray is to shoot more people. It's kind of like a violent version of homeopathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

They were/are a Derry based Republican vigilante group who shot drug dealers or merely suspected dealers in the legs or arms. They've killed one person & are now branching out into Bray.

Their deliberately a small group (35 -50 Volunteers) so that their harder to infiltrate.

They aren't Republicans. They are an apolitical group of muppets with serious question marks over them. They have no political analysis and engage in no activity aimed at changing the political and economic systems in Ireland. If you want an example of a Republican look at the likes of James Connolly or Seamus Costello; not a bunch of faceless eejits sullying Republicanism with their antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That part of Bray has always had trouble. It's no surprise to me what's going on, just that it now seems to be getting more news than previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I know I should no better but comparing bray to west Belfast is quite ridiculous, The only comparison I can see is that both areas start with B, 500 people died in NI in them two years, as another poster has said you seem to be gloating in the idea that bray is turning into some sort of war zone,which it's certainly is not, I also notice your using darky Hughes as a username ,ex provie are we ? Or just infatuated with the Whole gunmen/paramilitary story's .

The period from 1970 through 1972 saw an explosion of political violence in Northern Ireland, peaking in 1972, when nearly 500 people, just over half of them civilians, lost their lives. The year 1972 saw the greatest loss of life throughout the entire conflict.[81]

Advertisement