Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish teetotalers - what's it like?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

lanos wrote: »
    that may be so but i wouldn't know because i don't smoke marajuana
    i am an ex-cigarette smoker though
    anyway your point is ??????

I find ex smokers boring and no fun, they need to get a life, now if you had 10 smokers and 10 non smokers ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

davo2001 wrote: »
    It's a joke dude! Eitherway, I must read up on the law of posting pics of your ex gf.

FYI: you're not doing yourself any favours of removing the stereotypically image of teatotalers not having a sense of humour!

It's a very very old joke.
    Source: I've been on reddit for years.

The thing is, not drinking is actually an advantage when picking up girls.

Let me give you the typical scenario,

It's 9 o'clock, people are settling into their night out, but are not drunk enough to start trying out their lame attempts at picking up women.

In walks KJL, he scopes out the area. He sees a really hot girl chatting to her friends. Not needing beer courage he walks up to the group and makes his introductions. He chats to the girl but doesn't have the intention of sleeping with her that night, instead he is a brief interlude for her night out. I make her laugh I flirt and 9 times out of 10, I get her phone number, and about 2 times out of 10, she gives me some sort of kiss. Then I am out of there.

A few days later, I call her and make a date. Suddenly I am in potential boyfriend category and from there on, I am in complete control of everything.

A drunk guys goes out, gets a few beers into him, by one o clock he is wasted, some random girl starts talking to him, he think she looks alright and by now his standards have diminished so he gives her an old lash. He wakes up the next morning looks at the minger he picked up, but he gets her number and when he is drunk again decides to call her will then leads to a relationship with someone he is clearly not attracted to.

I haven't been with someone I am not attracted to in about 10 years. When I quit I would have the odd one night stand, but it is not nice at all having sex with someone who is drunk when you are sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

realies wrote: »
    I find ex smokers boring and no fun,
    no you don't
    yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Inanna

that may be so but i wouldn't know because i don't smoke marajuana

I find it hard to believe you're on the internet and have never seen anything related to marijuana. Even on After Hours the topic comes up from time to time.

And is that an implication that I smoke marijuana I see? Because that would be wrong.
    i am an ex-cigarette smoker though
    anyway your point is ??????

You sound paranoid. Not the kind of paranoia that's played for laughs; actually paranoid that non-drinkers are out to get you.

and herein lies the problem
    or one of the problems anyway.

the non-drinker is observing and analysing and storing information.
    the drinker might be a bit awkward to begin but he soon relaxes.

however from the start right up until the end, the teetotaler is watching
    watching and waiting
    analysing, making mental notes, storing information.

definitely not to be trusted

12:42am lanos makes an unscheduled stop on the street to urinate.
    12:48am lanos sits down and gives a homeless man a hug.
    12:50am lanos sparks up a cigarette and tried to give the homeless man advice on how to not be homeless, he asks "have you tried not being homeless?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

kjl wrote: »

It's 9 o'clock, people are settling into their night out, but are not drunk enough to start trying out their lame attempts at picking up women.

In walks KJL, he scopes out the area. He sees a really hot girl chatting to her friends. Not needing beer courage he walks up to the group and makes his introductions. He chats to the girl but doesn't have the intention of sleeping with her that night, instead he is a brief interlude for her night out. I make her laugh I flirt and 9 times out of 10, I get her phone number, and about 2 times out of 10, she gives me some sort of kiss. Then I am out of there.

A few days later, I call her and make a date. Suddenly I am in potential boyfriend category and from there on, I am in complete control of everything.

A drunk guys goes out, gets a few beers into him, by one o clock he is wasted, some random girl starts talking to him, he think she looks alright and by now his standards have diminished so he gives her an old lash. He wakes up the next morning looks at the minger he picked up, but he gets her number and when he is drunk again decides to call her will then leads to a relationship with someone he is clearly not attracted to.

I haven't been with someone I am not attracted to in about 10 years. When I quit I would have the odd one night stand, but it is not nice at all having sex with someone who is drunk when you are sober.

So are you single? Is it hard getting woman to see anything apart from the massive chip on your shoulder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

What a stupid argument ye're having.

A few days later, I call her and make a date. Suddenly I am in potential boyfriend category

ohh lucky you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Heh.

So are you single? Is it hard getting woman to see anything apart from the massive chip on your shoulder?

Tell you what davo, why don't we both put up selfies see who the women in here pick.

The only chip I have is with a$$holes who try to say I am not normal because I don't drink.

• Advertisement

12:42am lanos makes an unscheduled stop on the street to urinate.

all street urinating stops are unscheduled
    12:48am lanos sits down and gives a homeless man a hug.

lanos usually gives homeless people spare cash

12:50am lanos sparks up a cigarette and tried to give the homeless man advice on how to not be homeless, he asks "have you tried not being homeless?"
    lanos does not smoke

Tell you what davo, why don't we both put up selfies see who the women in here pick.

is this your way of telling us you are a handsome devil

then why are you single ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think the answer is in your question in a way.

I never heard of teetotallers until I came to live in Ireland. I heard of people not ever drinking alcohol. Mostly because of being former alcoholics. But I never heard of not drinking by conviction.

I drink occasionally myself. Sometimes hard sometimes hardly anything but mostly very very occasionally. Where I'm from nobody would ever question you one way or the other. It's just not important to anyone whether you do or don't or how often.

And that's the crux of the matter I suppose. Drinking or not drinking is almost something that defines someone in Ireland in large parts of Irish society.
    In Ireland you have a word for non drinkers. The same way you have a thousand different words for being drunk. The same way the Inuit have many different words for snow.
    It's something that is very embedded in your culture. And that's not a terribly bad thing per se. I'd rather have folks who have a culture of having a great time than a culture of - whatever - say killing each other.

At the end it comes down to the individual. If you feel you don't need to explain yourself and carry that confidently about you people will stop questioning you. Some people might stop inviting you but so what. If all that connected you was drink it's not such a bad thing anyway.

The only chip I have is with a$$holes who try to say I am not normal because I don't drink.

You didn't answer the question.

So all single people are ugly? Great logic there.

You didn't answer the question.

Yes, I am single.

and I'm sure you girlfriend is lovely looking, how about you post up a picture of her and I post up a pic of my ex and see who win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭LiveIsLife

That doesn't really prove anything other than that you're superficial and say your good with women. Someone who drinks a few beers could easily do the same thing, but enjoy the drinking beer aspect of being out as well

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yes, I am single.

and I'm sure you girlfriend is lovely looking, how about you post up a picture of her and I post up a pic of my ex and see who win.

Oh sweet jesus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

Thread is now a total farce.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Boskowski wrote: »
    I think the answer is in your question in a way.

I never heard of teetotallers until I came to live in Ireland. I heard of people not ever drinking alcohol. Mostly because of being former alcoholics. But I never heard of not drinking by conviction.

I drink occasionally myself. Sometimes hard sometimes hardly anything but mostly very very occasionally. Where I'm from nobody would ever question you one way or the other. It's just not important to anyone whether you do or don't or how often.

And that's the crux of the matter I suppose. Drinking or not drinking is almost something that defines someone in Ireland in large parts of Irish society.
    In Ireland you have a word for non drinkers. The same way you have a thousand different words for being drunk. The same way the Inuit have many different words for snow.
    It's something that is very embedded in your culture. And that's not a terribly bad thing per se. I'd rather have folks who have a culture of having a great time than a culture of - whatever - say killing each other.

At the end it comes down to the individual. If you feel you don't need to explain yourself and carry that confidently about you people will stop questioning you. Some people might stop inviting you but so what. If all that connected you was drink it's not such a bad thing anyway.

Teetotal isn't actually an Irish term , it's English - from the Temperance society in the late 1800's and early 1900's ( the movement led to prohibition in the US in the 1920's )

That's beside the point - One of the key things here in Ireland is the association between "The Pledge" and not drinking..

The Pledge being a promise not to drink foisted on 12 year olds when making their conformation in the Catholic Church..

People make the (grossly incorrect) assumption that if you have never drunk alcohol, then the reason it that you took the Pledge , and by extension are a Religious nut , boring god botherer and that you view Alcohol as some kind of Satanic evil force to be repelled at all costs.

I have no doubt that there are those that fit the above profile , although I personally have never met any..

I don't drink alcohol because I do not like the taste of it in any form - If you put a glass of regular beer and alcohol free beer in front of me , I'd be able to pick the one with alcohol from the smell alone , I really can't stand it that much...

However - I have absolutely no issues with Alcohol , have no opinions on it , have no issues with other people drinking etc. etc.

I just personally don't like the taste , just like I f**king hate the taste of Cucumber...I also don't dislike or distrust someone just because they like Cucumber.....

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I just personally don't like the taste , just like I f**king hate the taste of Cucumber...I also don't dislike or distrust someone just because they like Cucumber.....

eating cucumbers and drinking alcohol
    not quite the same thing is it ?

but its a very clever analogy all the same
    NOT !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

NOT !!

It's a question of the guys personal taste. He doesn't like the taste of alcoholic drinks.

Can you not get that through your fcuking head?

Obviously not, although I'm sure it's intentional.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

NOT !!

Why is it not the same thing...??

It's something that people consume , some like it some don't.

The point I'm making (and have continued to make) is that liking or disliking Alcohol is not a personality test.. It's no different to any other foodstuff... Or at least it shouldn't be if you have a healthy attitude and relationship with it...

Profiling society into the "Fun" alcohol drinkers and the "Boring Loser" non-alcohol drinkers is puerile and re-enforces every petty,sad Stereotype of the Irish that exists...

So all single people are ugly? Great logic there.

i never mentioned Ugly
    it is you who is using twisted logic here.

you have made out that you are EXTREMLY HANDSOME
    i deduce that because you were so confident of winning the selfie competition with somebody you had never met.

men who are extremely handsone are
    1. Gay and in relationships with men
    2. Gay and playing the field
    3. Hetro and in a relationship
    4. A very small proportion are single and hetro and extremely handsone

i originally asked

so why are you single if you are so handsone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Profiling society into the "Fun" alcohol drinkers and the "Boring Loser" non-alcohol drinkers is puerile and re-enforces every petty,sad Stereotype of the Irish that exists...

I don't think it's puerile. I think it's evidence of a dependency on alcohol in some respect.

I can't speak for the gay fraternity but men who are extremely handsome aren't always that attractive as, you know, boyfriends per se. Also why do you think handsome gay men play the field whereas handsome heterosexual men have girlfriends or are single? IME, some of them are seriously playing the field.

Unless this is linked to the "guys who drink get the hot girls" I think there are two problems here a) hot is a subjective and b) guys who drink a lot don't wind up keeping the hot girls.

I really feel sorry for some of the drinkers in this thread. They seem to have an awfully narrow minded view on life.

Seriously there is no actual causal correlation between not drinking and being boring. It's just some people who drink think there is.

• Advertisement

i persist with this because you were too scared to answer the question i posed in the Hypothetical scenario i posted earlier.

it doesn't matter really
    EVERYBODY KNOWS THE ANSWER

obviously more fun would be had on a night out with 10 typical moderate drinkers who would probably be quite normal and fun.

as opposed to going on a night out with 10 lifelong teetotalers
    which would have a fair proportion of nerds, anoraks, dorks, vegitarians, weirdos, etc

i persist with this because you were too scared to answer the question i posed in the Hypothetical scenario i posted earlier.

it doesn't matter really

obviously more fun would be had on a night out with 10 typical moderate drinkers who would probably be quite normal and fun.

which would have a fair proportion of nerds, anoraks, dorks, vegitarians, weirdos, etc

You see, where I come from, that division wouldn't actually happen because the two groups would actually mix. It's only inside your mind that you think this situation could even arise. People who don't drink actually do go to the pub, do go on nights out and do get up to go stuff the following morning as they don't have a hangover and actually like to get a lot out of life.

Your division is completely artificial and dare I say it, absolutely boring.

it doesn't matter really

And therein lies the core of the issue...

You , for whatever reason, cannot envisage a world where someone that doesn't drink alcohol is "normal" , whatever normal means to you....And that is your issue to resolve (or not) , but it doesn't alter the reality that it's an incorrect view.

I know people that fit into each of the categories you list above , Nerds , Anoraks , "Fun" , vegetarians and Weirdos etc.

Some of them drink , some of them don't - Alcohol doesn't come into the formation of their personalities in any way shape or form.

Calina wrote: »

Also why do you think handsome gay men play the field whereas handsome heterosexual men have girlfriends or are single? IME, some of them are seriously playing the field.

men are more promiscuous than women
    and that is explained by the popularity of public toilet / dogging hookups amongst the Gay fraternity

so handsome straight men will be in relationships because women will pursue him and hold on tight once she gets him.

the handsome men who play the field would probably be in relationships already and could keep up the pretence for a long time.

not so in the Gay fraternity where the comunity is much smaller and cheating would be difficult to maintain long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

my moto was if i was gona have a hang over it was gona be good one.

I drank like a lunatic and drank with lunatics

My behaviour was scandalous.

Then I got myself sober.

Truthfully it can be hard at times. But having a clear head 7 days a week knowing that you have caused no harm to anyone is great.

Each to their own... but i love been sober and i can also say i had some amazing benders... that you will keep on chasing but never get!

• Advertisement

You see, where I come from, that division wouldn't actually happen.

may i ask where this is ?

may i ask where this is ?

Reality.

theenergy wrote: »
    i can also say i had some amazing benders... that you will keep on chasing but never get!

the anoraks will never understand this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

You see, where I come from, that division wouldn't actually happen because the two groups would actually mix. It's only inside your mind that you think this situation could even arise. People who don't drink actually do go to the pub, do go on nights out and do get up to go stuff the following morning as they don't have a hangover and actually like to get a lot out of life.

Your division is completely artificial and dare I say it, absolutely boring.

And plenty of people who drink heavily don't go near a pub. Supporting a heavy drinking habit nowadays requires either a lottery win or an off-licence.

Reality.

oh i see
    you made it up

And plenty of people who drink heavily don't go near a pub. Supporting a heavy drinking habit nowadays requires either a lottery win or an off-licence.

we are talking about moderate drinkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

we are talking about moderate drinkers

With a pint working out at €4.50 to €5 in Dublin, you can be as moderate as you like. It'll still rack up the costs. I was agreeing with you about that being an artificial division between drinkers / non-drinkers anyway.

Yes, I am single.

Nah, you're grand, you already said you wouldn't post a pic.

Thanks for proving my point though.

NOT !!

It's Waynes World! Waynes World! Party time! Excellent!
    wowowowowow

i never mentioned Ugly
    it is you who is using twisted logic here.

you have made out that you are EXTREMLY HANDSOME
    i deduce that because you were so confident of winning the selfie competition with somebody you had never met.

i originally asked

so why are you single if you are so handsone ?

You really like to generalise don't you.

Have you ever thought that maybe I don't want to be in a relationship??

Truth is I have very high standards (Admittedly to my detriment) and I get turned off girls very easy, I look for the total package

Smart, good looking and good personality, almost every girl I meet is 2 out of 3.

I'm sure if I drank I would drop my standards and pick up some mankey looking yolk. But at least I wouldn't be single right?

• Advertisement

Nah, you're grand, you already said you wouldn't post a pic.

Thanks for proving my point though.

Is that her in your flickr stream? She's no playboy model that's for sure.

Is that her in your flickr stream? She's no playboy model that's for sure.

Doubtful as I've never used flicker. Do you often purve on people?

EDIT:
    Christ almighty would they ever lock this thread.....

Yeah you're right, you won't hear anything more from me on the matter, each to their own. However I do hope that kjl second date with his right hand goes well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lanos and kjl showing it doesnt matter if you drink or not imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Christ almighty would they ever lock this thread.....

You really like to generalise don't you.

Have you ever thought that maybe I don't want to be in a relationship??

Truth is I have very high standards (Admittedly to my detriment) and I get turned off girls very easy, I look for the total package

Smart, good looking and good personality, almost every girl I meet is 2 out of 3.

I'm sure if I drank I would drop my standards and pick up some mankey looking yolk. But at least I wouldn't be single right?

so while you're waiting for miss perfect, you can always rely on pam and her 5 sisters ;-)

i would advise a few drinks and stop taking life so seriously
    if women had a scorecard of boyfriend material traits, how would you score ?

1. fun / GSOH
    2. exciting / not boring
    3. good lover
    4. good looking
    5. affluent/good prospects

we already know you are extreemly handsome

if you don't score 5 out of 5
    i order you to start accepting 2 out of 3 girls
    cos 2 out of 3 aint bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Rate my selfie, how would you score based on these points... Jaysus lads.

Thread has been a train wreck for more than just a few pages

-KERSPLAT!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement