Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quattro to Zonda...any point?

• 29-08-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I've been itching to buy new wheels for a while now and really like the look of the Zondas but would like to be able to feel an improvement over my current Fulcrum quattro's. There's rough 240g weight difference between the two and when this is split between two wheels it equates to roughly a 130/140g lighter rear wheel so am I better saving some more and buying something a little higher spec? The quattro's are very stiff and I do find cross winds catch them more so than other lads wheels I'm out with but I don't know if there would be a big enough difference in the two wheels to warrant spending €340 on them (although I can recoup sone of the price by selling the quattro's)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Is quarter of a kilo worth it? It's rotational mass so you should be able to feel the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Borderfox wrote: »
    Is quarter of a kilo worth it? It's rotational mass so you should be able to feel the difference
    Most lightweight wheels are a lot lighter at the hubs, and a little in the spokes, and not much at all in the rims.

So whilst it might technically all be rotating mass, the moment of inertia probably isn't that different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Lumen wrote: »
    Most lightweight wheels are a lot lighter at the hubs, and a little in the spokes, and not much at all in the rims.

So whilst it might technically all be rotating mass, the moment of inertia probably isn't that different.
    I've had both Zondas and Quattros, I definitely noticed a huge difference when climbing.
    Sell the Quattros and buy the Zonda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Charlie69 wrote: »
    I've had both Zondas and Quattros, I definitely noticed a huge difference when climbing.
    Sell the Quattros and buy the Zonda

Well damn you Charlie, there was me telling myself that it's pointless buying Zondas as I won't notice any difference but now I think I'm just going to have to after all!!!

What about comfort? The quattro's are a very stiff wheel IMO and while it doesn't overly bother me, there are times on rougher surfaces when the ride can be quite jarring and tiresome because of the stiffness. Does the shallower section on the Zondas make them any more comfortable?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paudie2005

Well damn you Charlie, there was me telling myself that it's pointless buying Zondas as I won't notice any difference but now I think I'm just going to have to after all!!!

What about comfort? The quattro's are a very stiff wheel IMO and while it doesn't overly bother me, there are times on rougher surfaces when the ride can be quite jarring and tiresome because of the stiffness. Does the shallower section on the Zondas make them any more comfortable?

Zonda's are on sale at the moment on ribble (£250) and wiggle (£263), don't know what postage is but even more reason to spend your money!

• Advertisement

paudie2005 wrote: »
    Zonda's are on sale at the moment on ribble (£250) and wiggle (£263), don't know what postage is but even more reason to spend your money!

Ribble don't have them with Shimano freewheel, they're working out at €321 delivered from Bike-Discount.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Swimcyclerun have them also at a good price around are 320 I think I maybe that's what I payed in June great wheel good up the hills I do find them a little rough on bad roads but great wheel otherwise

Swimcyclerun have them also at a good price around are 320 I think I maybe that's what I payed in June great wheel good up the hills I do find them a little rough on bad roads but great wheel otherwise

They're €340 on SwimCycleRun which is probably where I'd buy from to support irish businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I think in this case the majority of the weight difference between the quattros and the Zondas is in the rims so there should be a worthwhile benefit.

Zondas are a great everyday wheel. Personally I would upgrade and you should recover a fair bit from selling your old wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

They're €340 on SwimCycleRun which is probably where I'd buy from to support irish businesses.

There a super company to deal with always next day delivery never any problems with the service

• Advertisement
Advertisement