Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEWARE PURCHASING MEDICINES IN NEWRY

Options
  • 29-08-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks
    I would like to warn people about bulk purchasing of medicines in Newry, I purchased in bulk from <SNIP> pharmacy <SNIP> in Newry back in the spring only to discover that approximately half of the meds I bought have now gone out of date!
    Save yourselves the trip costs and buy from <SNIP>!!!
    Jam49

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi OP - I have removed the names of the businesses.

Have you made any effort to contact the pharmacy who dispensed your prescription. I would have thought that pharmacists would cross check the dates on medication against the prescription duration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

jam49 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    I would like to warn people about bulk purchasing of medicines in Newry, I purchased in bulk from <SNIP> pharmacy <SNIP> in Newry back in the spring only to discover that approximately half of the meds I bought have now gone out of date!
    Jam49
    When was that spring 2009

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

when do you buy them and when did they go out of date?
    Without this information your complaint is pretty baseless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Firstly its about 6 months since "spring" - so obviously they were well in date. The fact that it has taken you 6 months to use them is nothing to do with them.

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 69,058 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"beware purchasing short lifespan items in bulk and not checking you can use them all" is a more accurate title here. Applies to cartons of milk just as much as this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

delahuntv wrote: »
    Firstly its about 6 months since "spring" - so obviously they were well in date. The fact that it has taken you 6 months to use them is nothing to do with them.

<SNIP>

If the manufacturers could get away with longer, they would. However if you've got evidence that the drug in question doesn't undergo decomposition over time, please do share.
    It isn't a best before date, it's a use by date. Best practice is to stick to it.
    If the above was the case, why do you think an irish pharmacy destroys stock that's past it's use by date. Surely if it was a best before, <SNIP> discount the drugs appropriately instead of destroying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please do not post pharmaceutical or medical advice. Only a qualified professional, engaged in such a capacity, may offer that advice safely.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

jam49 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Jam49

Thanks. I sure am glad to know that every single pharmacy in the city of Newry, bar none is (purposely?) selling bad medicine. Now is it just to free-staters or is it to loyalists too? Like if I go in wearing a bowler hat and an orange sash will I get the good drugs they keep in the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@bigneacy, stay on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

jam49 I think your getting angry at the wrong person. You done a foolish thing and now you've egg all over your face. You bought medicine to last you more than 6 months and didn't think to check the expiry. Would you do the same with milk? Or any other type of grocery? Even vouchers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

delahuntv wrote: »
    <SNIP>

that is really dodgy, dangerous advice to be giving out

- you don't know who would believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Have you contacted the pharmacy in question. They will have a record in the chemist of what was dispensed to you. They maybe willing to replace the out of date tablets for you.

Also please make sure you bring the out of date tablets to a pharmacy so they can be disposed of safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

bigneacy wrote: »
    Thanks. I sure am glad to know that every single pharmacy in the city of Newry, bar none is (purposely?) selling bad medicine. Now is it just to free-staters or is it to loyalists too? Like if I go in wearing a bowler hat and an orange sash will I get the good drugs they keep in the back?
    Haha, I know. One chemist = "Newry".

Advertisement