Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra curricular work expected

Options
  • 29-08-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,

I work for an American company and part of their work culture is about doing work outside your normal role.

I've been working here for 6 months and haven't done any extra-curricular work (example would be getting a relevant certification).

The reason is that I have to commute, my journey one-way is 1hr 20-30mins. I was told that we would be moving to a location much closer to where I live in June... then September... and now people have started saying it could be next year!

I'm a graduate and I know I'm lucky to have got a good job straight out of college. I suppose the point of this post (besides to rant) is to ask what people think I should do? Should I sacrifice the free time I have left? I know I'm probably better off in the long run but the thought of giving a large part of my weekend away is stressing me out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

What type of work are you doing? Some careers such as IT and accounting would expect you to continue studying and upskilking part time.

Where I work we have a personal development plan which gives us goals to complete over a 6 month to year period, sometimes that requires taking courses and doing some work after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TeamJesus

Certifications would be one example but they also like to see people "helping out" with things like organising events, taking part in initiatives like well being weeks etc.

Do you study and commute? If so how do you manage it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

TeamJesus wrote: »
    Certifications would be one example but they also like to see people "helping out" with things like organising events, taking part in initiatives like well being weeks etc.

Do you study and commute? If so how do you manage it?

What area do work in? I commute an hour 15 each way most days, and regularly do a lot of what you are talking about, it's required where I work, along with maintaining/upskilling

That's in IT

Yes I work in IT. That's great that you guys manage to achieve so much outside your job. Any tips on how you manage your time would be great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes I work in IT. That's great that you guys manage to achieve so much outside your job. Any tips on how you manage your time would be great.

Do you drive or take the bus/train to work?

Do your company provide access to any training courses?

• Advertisement

I take two buses, a lot of the travel involves standing. My company will cover training costs though so the cost is not an issue thankfully.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

On the one hand, treasure a company that pays for upskilling in the IT industry as the skill set is continuously evolving. On the other, the IT industry has an unhealthy tradition of expection alot more work off the hours, to get the task done which in the long run will burn alot of people out. So most things in life, balance is key.

I take two buses, a lot of the travel involves standing. My company will cover training costs though so the cost is not an issue thankfully.

Well then the first thing you can do is identify a cert you want to get and see if the cost of the course is covered. Most you have to physically attend are during the working week, so that won't involve work out of hours. Then for the likes of joining initiatives in work, they usually have their meetings during the working week/at lunchtime so again that shouldn't be impact.

It's the likes of studying by yourself or doing e.g. a masters part time that would eat a lot of your spare time.

Stheno wrote: »
    Well then the first thing you can do is identify a cert you want to get and see if the cost of the course is covered. Most you have to physically attend are during the working week, so that won't involve work out of hours. Then for the likes of joining initiatives in work, they usually have their meetings during the working week/at lunchtime so again that shouldn't be impact.

It's the likes of studying by yourself or doing e.g. a masters part time that would eat a lot of your spare time.

This is outside of my working hours. I'm talking about studying and other tasks which are outside of my usual working day. If it was within my working day it wouldn't be a problem.

Even the work initiatives involve spending time outside of working hours because I'm not based in the main office.

This is outside of my working hours. I'm talking about studying and other tasks which are outside of my usual working day. If it was within my working day it wouldn't be a problem.

Well at the moment I'm doing a masters, so I set time aside during the week to get the work done in the evenings, I'm busy doing other stuff so I fit it in during the week, usually 8 -10 hours.

Means I'm done by 9 most nights as I get home by six, eat, then do the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I would have thought this would be quite common in large companies and seen as a positive if the company is paying? It's like that in my current company and previous one and I've done loads of courses, exams etc which involved study after work and weekends. Unless the course is pointless and not recognised by other companies I don't see the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

All these things are no problem unless you have other commitments, family etc. Then it becomes a really difficult issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

It's a pain but its what is expected in I.T.

Just book an exam for a particular date and then you know that you have to study.

Just get back into a routine, get up early on weekends to study, watch a one hour training video after work.

Its a pain and can affect your social life but has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You you just out of college, with no partner / kids? What else have you got happening in your weekends?

Can you think about occasionally spending the night closer to work, and so being able to help out at events?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Manach wrote: »
    On the one hand, treasure a company that pays for upskilling in the IT industry as the skill set is continuously evolving. On the other, the IT industry has an unhealthy tradition of expection alot more work off the hours, to get the task done which in the long run will burn alot of people out. So most things in life, balance is key.

They say they can't get people with enough experience. You have to wonder is this a result of experienced people moving out of the industry to jobs with a better quality of life balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

See if it's mentioned in your formal reviews , and how you get on in them.
    Some of these things can be HR type of b/s.
    Settling into the job itself will be the most important thing in the long run , and as your just out of college you have plenty to be learning on the job.
    Use the weekends to rest and recover and enjoy your salary !. Think about doing something in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Hi,

I work for an American company and part of their work culture is about doing work outside your normal role.

I've been working here for 6 months and haven't done any extra-curricular work (example would be getting a relevant certification).

If you want to work your way up the corporate ladder in any company, then your workplace may be doing you a massive favour, when it is directing you to some relevant extra-curricular courses.

However, you have to look critically at those. If you see that you have to learn stuff that is just not worth learning, then you can always decline.

Advertisement