Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career in the Space Industry

Options
  • 29-08-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

I am just looking for some advice regarding a career in the space industry. I don't have a degree, but I have an Aircraft Engineers B1 License with plenty of years experience. I know most careers in this field require a degree, but I'm curious to know if there's a back-door in to this area? I.e. Rocket and/or Satellite manufacturing, mechanical/materials side of things. I have 2 certs also in software development and network systems, but I reckon they're slightly outdated now.

If anyone could give me some help or advice it would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

In your shoes I would probably go the degree route. You could use your B1 + experience to get entry at year 3 into DIT Aviation Technology, from there you could get advanced entry into an honours Aero Engineering degree, or possibly into a masters course in the UK in astronautics/space technology. Then network like crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Hi Jimmy G.

I just saw your post, after looking up posts on activity in the Irish space industry.

Did you find anything yet?
    There is a lot of cross-collaboration in the aerospace industry, specifically in the manufacturing and assembly side (where Degrees would not be required, rather a proven skillset). Therefore you would have a chance. I don't know if your still on this or interested but anyways it's worth the effort.

Advertisement