Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving tour of the city at night - where to bring a fordiner?

Options
  • 29-08-2014 9:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44

I have a couple of French friends over tomorrow night. We're going for dinner at Blackrock Castle, then I would like to bring the for a spin around the city.

Which spots would be good? Down patrick street for a look anyway.

Maybe up around Sunday's Well for a view of the city?

Anywhere else that would look nice at night? Is Patrick's Hill any good?

Apparently there's a good spot on a hill by the airport, don't have a clue about it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

yeah up the airport hill would be good. fine view of the city from there. You could always go up the back airport road by leghnamore as well, gives good views on a quieter road. From there you could take some back roads out to the viaduct maybe? it's nicely lit at night these days.

Top of patricks hill is a great spot for viewing shandon and north cathedral. Can probably get parking up there as well.

A nice idea is to head to fountainstown and crosshaven. Been out to the beach there at night a few times and it's really nice, peaceful and beautiful in the moonlight. If you head up to Camden from Crosshaven you get some nice views of Cobh and the Harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Sunday's Well is good but you have to go all the way over then loop back the western road past UCC, right up O'Donavans rd left on college rd to see St. Finbarrres. I don't know if it's open at night but Elizabeth Fort off Barrack st has a good view (out of car).

Patrick's Hill is good but again out of the car for the best, and drive down not up.

There are some fab views from Hollyhill and near Mayfield GAA but too short to detour for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Cybercommando

yeah up the airport hill would be good. fine view of the city from there. You could always go up the back airport road by leghnamore as well, gives good views on a quieter road. From there you could take some back roads out to the viaduct maybe? it's nicely lit at night these days.

Top of patricks hill is a great spot for viewing shandon and north cathedral. Can probably get parking up there as well.

A nice idea is to head to fountainstown and crosshaven. Been out to the beach there at night a few times and it's really nice, peaceful and beautiful in the moonlight. If you head up to Camden from Crosshaven you get some nice views of Cobh and the Harbour.

Thanks for the tips, but I'm not actually from Cork so I have no idea where these places are. Airport hill? Could you send a google map link or something? Back airport road... leghnamore. No idea. And where is the viaduct? Sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Check the airport on Google Maps and you'll see the roads around it - it'll be obvious enough which ones would offer a good view.

The Viaduct is on the main Cork to Bandon road, only ten minutes or so from thhe city.

Advertisement