Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease renewal

Options
  • 29-08-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Have a missed call my EA. I have been renting a place since May 2013. The voice-mail said that my lease was up for renewal. I am cynical of the possibility of an increase in rent or indeed signing a new lease. The place I am in is basically a shoebox and the idea of being stuck here another 12 months would drive me crazy.

My questions are do I need to sign a lease to remain in the property. Can I remain in Part IV without signing a new lease, does a change in rent require me to sign a new lease?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Do I need to sign a lease to remain in the property: No

Can I remain in Part IV without signing a new lease: Yes

Does a change in rent require me to sign a new lease: No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You don't have to sign a new lease no matter what they do about the rent. If you sign a lease at the current amount then you are safe until the end of the lease. If they up the rent then there's not much point signing a lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

If you sign a lease at the current amount then you are safe until the end of the lease.

Also, rent can only be increased once every 12months, so even if you sign a lease for say, 6months, the rent can't be increased at the end of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Thanks for all the replies.
    Will contact the EA next week and see what they have to say.

Advertisement