Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

AON bike insurance Alert

• 29-08-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭

I rang AON today to change bike from Pan to ZZR, I had rung them last week and got a price for changeover. When I rang today I got a lower price which I immediately queried. I was told that the new price was correct, I asked the lad if he was sure and he told me yes, it is the correct price for your TPF&T policy..... I then told him that I had not had a 3rd party policy on my bikes since the mid 70's and that I always had fully comprehensive.
    He continued to tell me that I was insured 3rd party and I ended up reading him all my policy schedule, clearly stating that I had comprehensive. He then explained that his company had taken over AON's policies and that mine had been transferred to them as 3rd party. He then rang AON and he was told that I was comprehensive, always had been.
    Eventually he agreed that henceforth my policy was comprehensive with them and that there was an error on their part. So I have been riding round believing I was comp and was not for the last 8 months.
    I think anyone with an AON policy should contact them and make sure they are covered for what they think they are.If anything had happened in the last few months there could have been serious consequences.
    As it happens, there will be some serious consequences for them as on Monday my sloicitors will be dealing with them on this matter.

CHECK YOUR AON POLICIES

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Faing wrote: »
    I rang AON today to change bike from Pan to ZZR, I had rung them last week and got a price for changeover. When I rang today I got a lower price which I immediately queried. I was told that the new price was correct, I asked the lad if he was sure and he told me yes, it is the correct price for your TPF&T policy..... I then told him that I had not had a 3rd party policy on my bikes since the mid 70's and that I always had fully comprehensive.
    He continued to tell me that I was insured 3rd party and I ended up reading him all my policy schedule, clearly stating that I had comprehensive. He then explained that his company had taken over AON's policies and that mine had been transferred to them as 3rd party. He then rang AON and he was told that I was comprehensive, always had been.
    Eventually he agreed that henceforth my policy was comprehensive with them and that there was an error on their part. So I have been riding round believing I was comp and was not for the last 8 months.
    I think anyone with an AON policy should contact them and make sure they are covered for what they think they are.If anything had happened in the last few months there could have been serious consequences.
    As it happens, there will be some serious consequences for them as on Monday my sloicitors will be dealing with them on this matter.

CHECK YOUR AON POLICIES
    Surely your documents are the proof of cover, if Aon has transferred your business to any other party then they should have to abide by the contract that you took out with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

I agree with you CJ, my point is that, had something serious happened, who would be liable? I am sure our solicitor will get more answers from them than I ever would. Also, is this just an isolated incident or are there lots of us out there being misled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If anything had happened you would have been covered fully comp. it was an admin error, not very professional all the same. But a letter should have went out to all policy holders stating that AON has sold on the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,379 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You suffered no loss so going to a solicitor is a waste of time.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭gipi

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If anything had happened you would have been covered fully comp. it was an admin error, not very professional all the same. But a letter should have went out to all policy holders stating that AON has sold on the business.

All policyholders were notified of the change in advance of last renewal. AON were brokers, the policies were AXA anyway, so it wasn't a "sell on" per se.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

As an aside, when I renewed recently with Adelaide all the correspondence arrived on Cornmarket headed paper. That's a new one on me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

peckerhead wrote: »
    As an aside, when I renewed recently with Adelaide all the correspondence arrived on Cornmarket headed paper. That's a new one on me?
    They have always been Cornmarket AFAIK, the last 3 receipts were all Cornmarket headed paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

AON insured me last year without even having the IBT done. I was new to motorcycling so was under the impression that it wasn't mandatory. They never asked for proof or anything and insured me on the spot. I would avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

William F wrote: »
    AON insured me last year without even having the IBT done. I was new to motorcycling so was under the impression that it wasn't mandatory. They never asked for proof or anything and insured me on the spot. I would avoid at all costs.

No insurance company will ask you for proof of IBT.
    Its not part of their job to ensure you done the IBT.

So you best avoid every insurance company :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

goodlad wrote: »
    No insurance company will ask you for proof of IBT.
    Its not part of their job to ensure you done the IBT.

So you best avoid every insurance company :p

Slightly off topic but I'm not up on this sort of thing but what's the story with someone getting insurance without having done their IBT ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

You are voiding your own insurance because you are not licensed to drive the bike. Its no different than telling an insurance company you have a full license when you actually have a provisional. They are providing insurance with terms and conditions. One of those terms is that you are licensed to drive the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

William F wrote: »

Did the person who sold you the policy have a whiny type of Dublin accent and a name beginning with M, and was it between about March and June?

Reason I ask: I worked there last year, mostly on home/car insurance but also some bikecare stuff. The main guys on bikecare were as above the board as you can get, but that one guy they hired I just have no idea why they did... never seen a dodgier character in my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

goodlad wrote: »
    You are voiding your own insurance because you are not licensed to drive the bike. Its no different than telling an insurance company you have a full license when you actually have a provisional. They are providing insurance with terms and conditions. One of those terms is that you are licensed to drive the bike.

Kinda.
    Because you hold an insurance Cert, albeit under circumstances of not keepting 'utmost good faith' (your declaration say, that you DO have a full licence etc), the Cert is still valid for the purposes of the Road Traffic Act.

That is, if you're pulled, you have an insurance cert and can't be prosecuted for no insurance.

However, if the ins co find out, naturally, it's null & void, and they'll cancel it on the spot.

If they don't find out, and you have an accident, and then it comes to light as a material fact, then they are still obliged to honour the cover -but, they will go after you in a separate suit to recover all costs. And, here's the kicker: you'll go on an insurance industry blacklist. Try getting insurance on anything once you're on that.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement