Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller buried in €28,000 coffin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

realweirdo wrote: »
    Have the Criminal Assets Bureau ever acted against travellers? Many have serious wealth and how it was achieved is dubious. Surely this guy was a prime candidate for CAB investigation.
    He was investigated and paid up in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Me? wrote: »
    No mention that the man was killed in a cold blooded manner in front of his children. Just an excuse by most on this forum to attack every traveller.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

crikey thats some box........:eek: i cannot wait to see the size of the .....headstone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Me?

The Th!ng wrote: »
    Live by the sword, die by the sword.

He was shot. Seems unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

No mention that the man was killed in a cold blooded manner in front of his children. Just an excuse by most on this forum to attack every traveller.

Him and his gang got their rocks off travelling around the country, beating up and robbing elderly people. I sincerely hope he suffered and I feel nothing for his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

How does the cab actually work? There is a drug dealer in dublin, never worked a day in his life. Well known violent dealer who owns a huge house with a Bentley and TWO new range rovers outside. Also owns other properties in Spain and Britain.

His kids are on social media showing off atleast a dozen high price watches and other various luxurys (which are all very expensive).

Yet he keeps all of these obviously illegal gains! Absolutely crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I'd like to know that too.
    I can guess the answer is no.

Travellers are protected.

The guards should be disbanded and a real police force established.

Travelers in my area were caught for burglary. My father seen the same travellers at Sunday evening mass ; )

Him and his gang got their rocks off travelling around the country, beating up and robbing elderly people. I sincerely hope he suffered and I feel nothing for his family.

I feel for your lack of sympathy towards his children.

Now imagine your elderly mother getting her jaw broken by him. It'll help you in your empathy.

• Advertisement

Now imagine your elderly mother getting her jaw broken by him. It'll help you in your empathy.

What the **** kind of an answer is that?

An answer. I'll pray for you.

An answer. I'll pray for you.

Not much point.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

Padraig Nally fair play to him was dead right "shoot first and ask no questions"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Look people were all forgetting the bigger picture here....a scumbag lowlife is dead, that has to be a good thing. Hopefully his associates will be following him In the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Travelers in my area were caught for burglary. My father seen the same travellers at Sunday evening mass ; )

I get that it's hypocritical, but surely the worse you've been, the more masses you have to go to? I don't understand how that whole relion thing works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

This thread will look like the spanish flag by sunrise

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

I get that it's hypocritical, but surely the worse you've been, the more masses you have to go to? I don't understand how that whole relion thing works.
    I agree 100% with the above. Its the same in a local church here, they do their visits most wkends. The light all the candles that will fit on the stand. They kneel down they stand up they are goin in and out at no mans rate. Even the children have the same antics. I think they are thanking jesus for not getting caught on the job the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Funerals.....

The more money that's spent on them, the cheaper they look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

RealExpert wrote: »
    I agree 100% with the above. Its the same in a local church here, they do their visits most wkends. The light all the candles that will fit on the stand. They kneel down they stand up they are goin in and out at no mans rate. Even the children have the same antics. I think they are thanking jesus for not getting caught on the job the night before.

I had to lol at that last bit even though i worked with travellers and i should be giving out about something, discrimination or something, feck it. that was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

If only a genuine law abiding citizen shot him after being rumbled during a burglary.
    Padraig Nally's actions forced a change in the law regarding defending yourself and your property. At least now they're fair game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

I like the irony of Travelers being devout Catholics even though they gain most of their wealth by breaking the 7th Commandment: You shall not steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Were they priests?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

Travelling the length and breadth of the country, tying up, gagging and kicking the sh1t out of pensioners is all part of their vibrant culture and heritage which must be respected and cherished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Those houses are locked up most of the year. They're on the continent running scams. Rathkeale is the Beverly Hills of knackerdom though. Not every traveller owns a mansion straight out of a 1980s soap opera.

Perhaps we could tell the IDF that palestinians were launching rockets from Rathkeale?

Glad I skipped to the last post so I could get to the crux of the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

He lived a life of crime and intimidation that endangered his own. He obviously had no sympathy for them or their safety by endangering his own family in this way.
    The bigger point for you to learn is that the sympathy card worked in the 70's the 80's and the 90's. We can see where it got us. Things have changed: people want standards enforced on those who try to bully and terrorise their way. If they rot in jail while some law abiding person can live their life in peace so much the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

It's being reported this morning that his family are keeping guard at his grave until it's capped, as he was buried with €100000 worth of jewellery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Had to laugh when the news of the shooting was on the radio and his neighbours were interviewed saying what a nice neighbour he was. This was just after the newsreader had described him as a serial burglar. What a great neighbour, he goes to someone elses estate to break in to their houses. A real hero.

Because you're going to go on national TV and admit you couldn't care less that your traveler criminal neighbour got shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What I can't understand is that they are very religious and yet seen to break the 10 commandments with ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

irishgeo wrote: »
    What I can't understand is that they are very religious and yet seen to break the 10 commandments with ease.

The lower your intelligence the greater your belief in god

• Advertisement

The lower your intelligence the greater your belief in god

That's a bit of a nonsense comment to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

It's not like they're written in stone..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It's because they can't read and don't know what the ten commandments say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

weiland79 wrote: »
    That's a bit of a nonsense comment to be fair.

So if I was to preech about a mystical dude that lived before my time that had magical powers and his dad created the universe and everything in it, but i have no proof what so ever to back up this claim, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) rate my intellengence

So if I was to preech about a mystical dude that lived before my time that had magical powers and his dad created the universe and everything in it, but i have no proof what so ever to back up this claim, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) rate my intellengence

I'm not going to get into a theological debate with you as i don't happen to believe either. But It's a pretty daft assumption to make, that only people with low IQ believe in a higher power. It's simply not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm not going to get into a theological debate with you as i don't happen to believe either. But It's a pretty daft assumption to make, that only people with low IQ believe in a higher power. It's simply not true.

You're right, there are many very smart people who believe in some sort of higher power.

However, studies have shown, on average the IQ of atheists is higher than that of religious people. And the more religious someone is, the more likely there are to have a lower IQ.

That's all averages though, it tells you about groups, not individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Grayson wrote: »
    ...And the more religious someone is, the more likely there are to have a lower IQ...

Father Ted
    :...The favourite son would become a doctor and then the idiot brother would be sent off to the priesthood.
    Father Dougal: Your brother is a doctor isn't he?
    Father Ted
    : Yes he is.
    QED :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

It's being reported this morning that his family are keeping guard at his grave until it's capped, as he was buried with €100000 worth of jewellery.

That's some pharaoh sh1t, if true. If he had stolen from my family, I'd give it a week or two and dig the fuker up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It is an appalling thing for anyone's children to see that. That's not in dispute.

However what is also not in dispute is this person was a career criminal responsible for untold amounts of misery in many people's lives. People are getting increasingly frustrated and angry with obvious "out in the open" criminals large and small walking free and living the high life, all too often in receipt of state benefits, while a large chunk of the rest of us law abiding people are merely getting by and quite a percentage are truly struggling.

As for his background? There are career criminals from all backgrounds, but only the most deliberately blinkered would deny that the traveling community has a larger percentage of same than background levels.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

White minorities are fair game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He was loved so much in the community that all the local pubs were closed for various reasons on the day of the funeral,one even had chains across the doors such was the love they had for the man

Everything he stole from the people of this state should be seized including the tacky classless coffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Had to laugh when the news of the shooting was on the radio and his neighbours were interviewed saying what a nice neighbour he was. This was just after the newsreader had described him as a serial burglar. What a great neighbour, he goes to someone elses estate to break in to their houses. A real hero.
    Weird that they'd agree to talk to the radio reporter - can't they just have said to them that they didn't want to comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

bonzos wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/large-garda-presence-as-gang-boss-fat-andy-connors-buried-in-28k-goldplated-coffin-30546161.html

Criminal traveller buried in €28k coffin! Why is this country so reluctant to investigate the wealth some of these people have? Any self employed person who is unlucky enough to loose his/her business will get f@ck all from the state yet many of these people who never worked openly flaunt their money no questions asked while still being state funded!

For €28k we should squeeze a few more of them in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Whether his children had seen this incident or not, they were already on a path that would see them emulate their parents in the future.

I have no sympathy for those who do not seek to improve the lot of their children, NONE, and the blame for any trauma these children suffer lies within their family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Unquestionably awful on the kids, who didn't choose to be born into such a life. And of course not all travellers are scumbags. But crime, intimidation and anti social behaviour among other issues are big problems throughout traveller society. Before someone says they're big problems in settled communities - yes they are, but the proportions are very different.
    conorh91 wrote: »
    They screw us and we screw them.
    "We screw them"? :confused:
    Oh... i'm sorry.
    seems you took a hard on to someone saying something negative about the guards. Also another popular stand-point on here ;) :pac:

"ahh the poor guards" lol.
    First you say, based on zero, that the guy must be one of those "The poor travellers" types, and when he points out the stupidity of same, you can't answer so you throw out the above passive-aggressive stuff. What's the point?
    When people go on about how AH loves the guards (it does in its eyeball) it's quite telling. AH is full of criticism of the guards - if people defend decent guards and know what they're talking about, it's interesting when people get all ass-hurt about this.

That said, Blay, I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate that there is an element of fear among the guards when it comes to the really hard-ass criminals - it doesn't always seem like they have the resources to deal with them. Why are you so adamant there's definitely no fear?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

May the scumbag rot in the furthest pits of hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Lapin wrote: »
    May the scumbag rot in the furthest pits of hell.

Eh St Michael's Cemetery in Gorey - but close enough!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

He was loved so much in the community that all the local pubs were closed for various reasons on the day of the funeral,one even had chains across the doors such was the love they had for the man

Not wanting your pub smashed up is racist don't you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

And I'm sure its being protected with a few hurls and the odd stick....

Why don't the guards go down and search the lads holding the guns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Luke92 wrote: »
    Why are you so adamant there's definitely no fear?

Presumably because it's based on nothing. 3 Gardaí injured every day would indicate that individual Gardaí do not suffer from any sort of cowardice when it comes to violent people. The fact that people like Gilligan, Dundon and O'Driscoll were all put away would indicate that the real hardass criminals are indeed put away.

As a Garda you can never win public opinion. You don't chase a car full of thieves, you're a coward. You do chase it, you're reckless. You don't server warrants on people, you're not doing your job. You do serve warrants on people, you're putting decent folk in jail. Stop a guy for speeding, you're letting murderers get away.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement