Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller buried in €28,000 coffin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Presumably because it's based on nothing. 3 Gardaí injured every day would indicate that individual Gardaí do not suffer from any sort of cowardice when it comes to violent people. The fact that people like Gilligan, Dundon and O'Driscoll were all put away would indicate that the real hardass criminals are indeed put away.
    That quote was me, but attributed to Luke92 for some reason. I did say though that guards can seem under-resourced, not anything about cowardice.
    As a Garda you can never win public opinion. You don't chase a car full of thieves, you're a coward. You do chase it, you're reckless. You don't server warrants on people, you're not doing your job. You do serve warrants on people, you're putting decent folk in jail. Stop a guy for speeding, you're letting murderers get away.
    I agree there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

psst.....someone's just opened a Gays thread a couple of lines down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

They're doin' no harm to nobody, honest to god.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 from_the_past

Presumably because it's based on nothing. 3 Gardaí injured every day would indicate that individual Gardaí do not suffer from any sort of cowardice when it comes to violent people. The fact that people like Gilligan, Dundon and O'Driscoll were all put away would indicate that the real hardass criminals are indeed put away.

As a Garda you can never win public opinion. You don't chase a car full of thieves, you're a coward. You do chase it, you're reckless. You don't server warrants on people, you're not doing your job. You do serve warrants on people, you're putting decent folk in jail. Stop a guy for speeding, you're letting murderers get away.

more to it than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

more to it than that

Excellent, a brand new account to tell it how it is, most likely with some anecdote of an incident where a Garda didn't do what you thought was his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A casket forged from scrap metal would have been more fitting surely? I thought tradition was important to travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

In the words of Winston Churchill:

Never have so many been fcuked over by so few.

We need to get our head out of the sand on this, These people don't give a flying fcuk about me,you or anyone else who pay their dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Aidric wrote: »
    A casket forged from scrap metal would have been more fitting surely? I thought tradition was important to travellers.

For a burglar/crime 'boss' - yes, scrap metal would have been more fitting.
    He had amassed 19 convictions during his career, including sentences for larceny and burglary. He was a member of the infamous 'Pale' Connors clan who had been the target of Operation Fiacla, the high-profile garda anti-burglary sting.

He was a career criminal. Whatever money he had, he obtained illegally. He was buried in a 28k coffin that was paid for with stolen money. Honest, hard-working people, don't have it so good - why should he? Not only did he rob people, tax payers had to fund high-profile garda anti-burglary stings to take down crooks like him - and even after - he's buried in a coffin of gold?!?! Madness.

I have nothing against travellers.
    I have nothing against people who pay for 28k coffins.

But I do have a problem with criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Wait till archaeologists dig that up in 1000 years time!;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Jays, they're even acting the mick beyond across there above in Canada, so they are? At laysht the Guards over there have horses t0 chase them on, so they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

irishgeo wrote: »
    What I can't understand is that they are very religious and yet seen to break the 10 commandments with ease.

Generally they seem to gravitate towards the more 'pagan' type of devotions, where basically you make offerings or do pilgrimages for the saints/gods/blessed virgin and in return they give you good fortune. It's a transactional faith, not a moral one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

What's the going rate for a second hand coffin these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's so crass and tacky as well. He's not King Tut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What's the going rate for a second hand coffin these days?

Cash For Gold is your best bet.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Johngoose wrote: »
    It won't be there in a year's time, never mind 1000 years.

There's no honour among thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I always laugh when I see Joan Burton and Josephine Feehily from Revenue on the news spoofing about how anybody who is not declaring their income by by pursued by Revenue....total BS!They will case a small business over a late VAT payment or home owner over LPT but certain groups are untouchable. A local FF councillor in my own county spends half his time in court defending these scumbags while the taxpayers who elected him the represent them are picking up the free legal aid bill. Its always the taxpayers who get screwed. It will be interesting to see how much the headstone Mr Connors will have over his grave in the coming months and how it will be paid for?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

Ever drive by the housing estates in Rathkeale, rows of new Audis, Beemers and Land Rovers. There must be decent money in Tarmacadam.

Who does THEIR driveways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

zerks wrote: »
    Cash For Gold is your best bet.:pac:
    From what I've read the coffin isn't gold, it is polished brass with 24k gold plated "hardware" (the handles) possibly up to 2.5 microns thick!

bonzos wrote: »
    I always laugh when I see Joan Burton and Josephine Feehily from Revenue on the news spoofing about how anybody who is not declaring their income by by pursued by Revenue....total BS!They will case a small business over a late VAT payment or home owner over LPT but certain groups are untouchable. A local FF councillor in my own county spends half his time in court defending these scumbags while the taxpayers who elected him the represent them are picking up the free legal aid bill. Its always the taxpayers who get screwed. It will be interesting to see how much the headstone Mr Connors will have over his grave in the coming months and how it will be paid for?!

Shush....

You can't be saying that type of thing round these parts, Pavee point will have you up in court before you can say howya boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    No, they are scared.
    Easier to bully law abiders.

What were you caught doing? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Johngoose wrote: »

Tony Robinson's great, great, great grandson will be claiming that he must have been a highly respected king or something.

A true man of the people!

€28.000 adjusted for the year 3014 would equal 16.000.000.000 Earth Credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

12,000 quid Rolex going with him. Concrete encased grave I presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sure twasn't it moody gold boy, cuda put him in a nice carpit instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Just so as I know for the future, can the Mods tell me why reasonable debate on this thread has not been locked down, compared to reasonable debate on similar threads in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

oldyouth wrote: »
    Just so as I know for the future, can the Mods tell me why reasonable debate on this thread has not been locked down, compared to reasonable debate on similar threads in the past

Presumably because you cannot defame the dead, especially a dead guy who was a known scumbag with an actual track record of crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

oldyouth wrote: »
    These threads tend to be kept open once there aren't "Exterminate them" type posts - from what I can see anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    From what I've read the coffin isn't gold, it is polished brass with 24k gold plated "hardware" (the handles) possibly up to 2.5 microns thick!

So even tackier than first suspected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pavee Point is a total joke.

I wonder if they have commented on Fat Goldie yet?

Ha ha, are you joking me!

• Advertisement

Pavee Point is a total joke.

I wonder if they have commented on Fat Goldie yet?

Ha ha, are you joking me!

The whole fcuking thing is a joke. At what stage will the general population wake up and realise that we are being fcuked over again and again.

Big fat this and big fat that, what's the fcuking attraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

"My Big Fat Gypsy Funeral"

Will there be a T.V. programme on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

not yet wrote: »
    The whole fcuking thing is a joke. At what stage will the general population wake up and realise that we are being fcuked over again and again.

Big fat this and big fat that, what's the fcuking attraction.

Jealousy of their freedom from all the shyte we suck up and resent? Like rules and taxes and queues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Jealousy of their freedom from all the shyte we suck up and resent? Like rules and taxes and queues?

I find the hatred of Travellers very interesting and I think there's a lot of wisdom in your post. I remember being asked by a Traveller man 'what time is it'? as he nodded toward a clock. It left an impression on me that a person around the same age as myself was unable to read an analogue clock; something I can't even remember not being able to do.

In a way this Traveller man's inability to tell the time from an analogue clock was as a result of freedom from being institutionalised by the systems we all consider perfectly 'normal'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Karl Stein wrote: »
    In a way this Traveller man's inability to tell the time from an analogue clock was as a result of freedom from being institutionalised by the systems we all consider perfectly 'normal'.

Or perhaps he just suffers from dyscalculia?

I find the hatred of Travellers very interesting and I think there's a lot of wisdom in your post. I remember being asked by a Traveller man 'what time is it'? as he nodded toward a clock. It left an impression on me that a person around the same age as myself was unable to read an analogue clock; something I can't even remember not being able to do.

Sweet mother of suffin jesus, I give up, i really fcuking do...

That annoys you. Ever wonder why?

Do shure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

i met the man a week before he died. he attempted to drive a hard bargain. i declined.

emo72 wrote: »
    i met the man a week before he died. he attempted to drive a hard bargain. i declined.

Do go on. I'll MIRANDA you in a minute, honest..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Or maybe he never had a need to learn to tell the time?

Yeh...like there are people for whom which time doesn't affect?

In the 21st century, it's simply ridiculous that somebody cannot tell the time.

I bet if I left two 50's on the table he'd damn well know what it added up to.

wazky wrote: »
    Or maybe he never had a need to learn to tell the time?

That's quite plausible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Anybody consider the man in question might have been short sighted and left his glasses at home ? It happens to the best of us whether born in a ditch or a palace.

Good point.

Tony EH wrote: »
    In the 21st century, it's simply ridiculous that somebody cannot tell the time.

Yeah, that's why we should go into the jungles and force those bastards who can't tell the time to make their way into the 21st Century.

Telling the time is a relatively new skill. If human evolution was a clock then being able to tell the time would only have been common in the last few minutes (see what I did there?)

It was only important to know what time it was since the industrial revolution. Before trains each town had its own time.

Anybody consider the man in question might have been short sighted and left his glasses at home ? It happens to the best of us whether born in a ditch or a palace.

Glasses are used primarily for reading. I assure you reading was not a skill this lad had learned.

Yeah, that's why we should go into the jungles and force those bastards who can't tell the time to make their way into the 21st Century.

Telling the time is a relatively new skill. If human evolution was a clock then being able to tell the time would have been common in the last few minutes (see what I did there?)

Last time I checked, Irish travelers tend not to live in jungles.

Unless there's a lost tribe of Wards I haven't heard of.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Last time I checked, Irish travelers tend not to live in jungles.

The points I'm making are going over your head.

Stratospherically.

• Advertisement

It's 21st century Irish travelers we're talking about here.

Not the Yanomamos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement