Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's The Worst Pain You've Ever Experienced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

3. Pneumonia - was a while ago so don't remember it too well but the struggling to breathe bit wasn't very fun..
    2. Dislocated kneecap - Even the tiniest movement of the leg when it's popped out is unbelievably painful, I see someone in this thread had to wait 5 hours with it out, that's horrendous. Once it's popped back in though the pain decreases considerably though.
    1. Tonsillitis + Gum Infection + Wisdom Tooth troubles all at the same time = extreme difficulty in eating, sleeping and talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Nib wrote: »
    Enjoy your yellow card.

Is there no black card here?

Kick one off and get

one worse. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

AC joint separation in my shoulder. No matter what way I moved I was in agony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Potts fracture of the Ankle.
    Pretty sore for about a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

The worst pain I ever had was when I had a Vasectomy and the local anesthetic did'nt work too well, It wasn't pain as such, but feeling yer mans fingers in my Sack rooting for me tube was enough to put any man in a Coma

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Now and again if I stretch my legs while in bed the muscle cramps or something and it feels like it is trying to break the bone.

Stabbing sensation in chest, when that happens I can't move my arm without it being complete agony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Now and again if I stretch my legs while in bed the muscle cramps or something and it feels like it is trying to break the bone.

Stabbing sensation in chest, when that happens I can't move my arm without it being complete agony.

You should get checked out my friend

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Crazy toothache. I thought that was a level 10 pain.

Infection where the wisdom tooth was removed. Level 15.

Infection in broken wrist around extruding pins when swelling hand was trapped inside cast. Level 50. I genuinely considered running head first into a wall to knock myself out the pain was so maddening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

3. Pneumonia - was a while ago so don't remember it too well but the struggling to breathe bit wasn't very fun..
    2. Dislocated kneecap - Even the tiniest movement of the leg when it's popped out is unbelievably painful, I see someone in this thread had to wait 5 hours with it out, that's horrendous. Once it's popped back in though the pain decreases considerably though.
    1. Tonsillitis + Gum Infection + Wisdom Tooth troubles all at the same time = extreme difficulty in eating, sleeping and talking.

My doctor didn't think he would have been able to pop it in because it was completely dislocated...was very bad! So had to get ambulance to hospital. They were only able to give me so much morphine in hospital because I was only 16..didn't work at all! Had to be heavily sedated when it was popped back in. Then had a full leg cast for 7 weeks..Wahey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Actually, I get this the odd time. If I stretch to Much in the bed one leg will cramp up leading me to jump out of the bed in pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Cold + Plane Flight = Sinusitis

I got it for the first time last year. It struck in the middle of the flight and I had no clue what was going on. I thought I was having a stroke. Once we landed, it subsided but raised its ugly head again later that evening and I was awake in agony all time. Terrible thing to have.

Also, years ago I was late for work so I had no breakfast. When lunchtime came, I was starving so I went to a local cafe. I picked up a chip with a fork but I was so hungry and just wanted to eat that I managed to bite down full force into the fork with my front tooth which ended up chipping it. It was a horrible sensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Not necessarily the worst but a real FCUK ME THAT HURT unexpected pain - getting my upper-lip threaded by a beautician. Got the eyebrows done and decided to do some more 'house-keeping'...tears streaming down my eyes, death grip on the chair...could barely stand up after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Earaches, toothaches and that time my old boyfriend decided to use an unlubed condom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Ruptured appendix for 3 days,
    A filling without anaesthetic
    Dislocated hand
    Just a few that spring to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

First place: pilonidal sinus, ingrown hair sounds like an inconvenience but it is pain that one would only find in Game of Thrones.

Second place: Torn Achilles tendon, like being savaged by a lamb compared to the ingrown hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I ate a gluten free teacake last night and thought I was going to die from the stomach spasms that followed. They're lovely, they're just not worth it.

I had just read the everybody has ibs thread and the a&e thread and figured this should cover all three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Rabbit wrote: »
    Kidney stone, now, agony.

Might lie on the tiles for a bit.
    Had one a few years ago, and a kidney got backed up (renal colic), prompting a trip to A&E. It wasn't absolutely the most acute pain I've ever felt, but there was so much of it. It had the quality and the quantity. The painkillers I was prescribed were no joke, either. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Split my head open down to the skull and had to get stitches. The actual impact knocked me out so I didn't feel much pain then but a day later I had the worst headache of my life. It only lasted about twenty minutes but the level of pain made my stomach roil and I had to just sit still clutching my head until it passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

It's already been mentioned a few times, but ... definitely labour. Horrendous. They gave me Oxytocin and said that it would make the labour very fast and very painful, but not to worry because they'd give me an epidural in plenty of time. The Oxytocin worked too fast and they weren't able to get an anaesthetist in time for the epidural - I got in in the end, but when it was in it was time to push so the horrible bit was over. The pushing itself was grand, but the couple of hours before that ... I didn't actually think it was possible to survive that level of pain. It's just unimaginable.

And I did NOT forget the pain five minutes after the birth, like everyone says you do!

I'd go again, but would be demanding a general anaesthetic from the minute I saw the positive pregnancy test, to knock me out for the nine months until it was all over! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Getting my foot ran over by an electric pallet truck full of heavy stock. Lost 2 toenails...The pain made me physically sick.
    The worst though was my poor mother. The old fellas van got stuck in mud so he decided to put a heavy sheet of wood under the front of the back wheels and get the mother to push. He floors the accelerator and the board flying out from under the wheel's at about 100mph and took the the mother's 2 shins out. I nearly vomited at the pain she was in. Poor mammy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Tonsillitis was unbelievable pain, I had a weekend of it before treatment finally started working and it was something I wouldn't want to experience again. Childbirth was pretty horrible too, it felt like someone had the hands in your stomach and was trying to tear you in two. Although the pain of childbirth was more intense I think I'd do that again over another bout of tonsillitis, there is a difference between pain that is normal and means your body is doing what it should vs pain that means something is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Anyone ever get a full-on bee sting?

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Anyone ever get a full-on bee sting?

What's the difference between a full-on bee sting and a regular bee sting? :confused: Got a few stings when I was a kid alright, they weren't that sore, but maybe they weren't "full-on", whatever that means!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Deank wrote: »
    Mmmm lesson number one should have prevent a numerous.... ;)

Easier said than done...

The worst had to be when one of them "escaped" from a groin guard I was wearing during sparring in Tae Kwon Do. So basically, one of my balls is now "hovering" in between the groin guard and my leg. Cue getting kicked there; the groin guard crushes my testicle into my leg... that was fúcking agony.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

uch wrote: »
    The worst pain I ever had was when I had a Vasectomy and the local anesthetic did'nt work too well, It wasn't pain as such, but feeling yer mans fingers in my Sack rooting for me tube was enough to put any man in a Coma
    DazMarz wrote: »
    Easier said than done...

The worst had to be when one of them "escaped" from a groin guard I was wearing during sparring in Tae Kwon Do. So basically, one of my balls is now "hovering" in between the groin guard and my leg. Cue getting kicked there; the groin guard crushes my testicle into my leg... that was fúcking agony.

I'm female and my eyes are watering reading both of those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Fellas have it the worst.

FACT.

I might be messing.:p

Slammed a car door shut on my fingers
    Fractured my skull
    Concussed myself
    Had meningitis TWICE (once viral, once the bad meningococcal strain)
    Bad kidney infection (hospitalised for a week)
    Ear barotrauma
    Impacted wisdom tooth abscess
    Other stuff I've blocked out

And a nasty hang-nail a while ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fartman

Got my finger cut off by a lawnmower that was very painful .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Got shot in my eye with a hunting pellet gun. Nearly went blind :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I fell off a horse when I was younger onto a jump and broke the top cross pole with my back. It was like the feeling of getting the wind knocked out of you times 5. Luckily I didn't injure anything but had a massive dark black bruise from my lower back up to my upper back for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I actually remember the time I was in a golf club bar. Being quite sozzled after a particularly bad round, I was being held up by the bar and the clothes I was wearing.

This polyester avalanche (ie. a slightly overweight, middle aged, female golfer) comes screaming into the bar. "I've just been stung by a wasp!!!"

Me, thinking because of a first aid course I did 5 years ago that it makes me as good as a doctor, piped up, "I can help... where did it sting you?"

"Oh, between the first and second hole!"

".......... well, clearly your stance is too wide."

Disclaimer: the above may or may not have actually happened. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

^^^^ anyone that thanks him is going to find out how painful a size 10 boot in the balls feels!
    :)

Toots wrote: »
    1. Childbirth (obviously) it felt like I was being ripped apart by the pelvis.
    2. Pilonidal sinus
    3. The day after childbirth when I was woken from a nap by the sound of my baby crying, jumped out of the bed completely forgetting the huge number of stitches I had 'down there' -the number was reduced by my jumping up and ripping them :( Hubby arrived just at that moment to see the baby crying in the cot and me crying on the floor.
    4. Getting re-stitched after number 3

Rethinking my life plan after reading this.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chicken foot

I was born with my two baby toes lying flat across my other toes - i had two ops on each foot to get them fixed, they cut the skin, tighten, stitch and try and pull into an upright position. one of them just wasn't going back in place so it was aided by a 5inch long "hook" that went straight through the centre of my baby toe, all the way in to my foot where it stayed for 4 weeks. All was good while it was in, I was on crutches but pain was ok. Went back after 4 weeks to get it removed and the Butcher masquerading as a doctor literally(and I mean literally!!) caught the top of the hook with pliers and just pulled it straight out, no pain relief, nothing! I was 10 years old, I was screaming and my mum was as white as a sheet, we weren't expecting it at all! After I calmed down he asked me if I wanted to keep it as souvenir, I think my mum actually told him to **** off :as it was horrific, I was on crutches again for weeks after it :/

I've also had 2 kids with no pain relief due to advancing too quick. My second child was facing the wrong way, I only got to 9cm and he was at an angle :/ I was brought to theatre for a C section but they said they would try the suction cup as last resort and he came out with that but it was 6 hours of agony! My eyes were black and blue from busted blood vessels from all the pushing! It's a good job he was cute :D

Note to self, never have children

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

second cut with scissors during childbirth - cos one episiotomy isn't bad enough. Stitching up of same.
    First trip to bathroom afterwards.
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I didn't so much experience the pain of this , but if it was possible to feel someone else's pain this is as close as I've ever experienced..

I was helping a nurse a few years ago when a young man came in to get an abcess/ulcer dressed in his groin , the wound was from skin level right into his body to the depth of the femoral vein.

The poor man was in so much pain he was crying and asking for his mother.All I could do was hold his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

InTheTrees wrote: »
    My gf's nephew gets "cluster headaches". Most categorically NOT migraine's, a different beast entirely.

You've probably never heard of them. Hopefully anyway.

They're also known as Suicide Headaches because there is no cure and very few effective treatments, and a high number of sufferers take that route. Believe it or not LSD is one treatment that is used.

From Wiki:

"The pain occurs on one side only (unilateral), around the eye (orbital), particularly above the eye (supraorbital), in the temple (temporal), in any combination. The pain of CH is remarkably greater than in other headache conditions, including severe migraine. The term "headache" does not adequately convey the severity of the condition; the disease may be the most painful condition known to medical science.[10] The pain is described as stabbing, burning or squeezing and may be located near or behind the eye and at the back of the head or neck.[11]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache

Going off thread here, but I had those cluster headaches some years back. Since going gluten free (coeliac, no choice) they never returned. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

A bale lifter trapped my ankle and broke a rake of bones in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

uch wrote: »
    You should get checked out my friend

Probably should but doubt anything can be done. Think its a nerve that gets pinched, if it was a heart problem I should have been killed years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Burst appendix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Dislocated shoulder.

The mumps pretty bad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

My gallbladder is giving me problems. The pain is terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Bladder infection caused by chronic constipation. Theres no pain quite like it, at least that I have experienced. Theres the physical pain and then the constant nausea, not sure which is worse really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Childbirth was no walk in the park, especially second time was baby was just under 10lbs with a huuuge head.. But, for me, kidney stones were worse... I was pregnant when I had them, spent 3 days in hospital with suspected appendicitis, will never forget the pain :(

Tonsillitis, and being scalded badly as a kid were painful too...

bluewolf wrote: »
    Note to self, never have children

Really? But I didn't even mention the bit where they started the episiotomy (i.e. scalpel on your bits) before they realised the epidural hadn't kicked in ... while the baby's head was still lodged in my vag ...

A beautiful, lovely experience. (They did give me a local anaesthetic soon after ... not f*cking soon enough! A scalpel slicing through there is NOT something you EVER want to experience! It isn't fun. :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Dislocated hip was pretty bad .

Swine flu + psumonia+pleurisy absolutely horrendous pain trying to breathe

Two 7mm kidney stones the single most pain ive ever endured or ever will (touch wood) ive never begged in tears for pain relief before, worse part was a snooty nurse leaning over me saying congratulations you now know what labor feels like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Another one of these threads :/

Dislocated kneecap with torn ligament was pretty painful. Waiting in the A+E for 5 hours with a dislocated kneecap especially!

Also had a dry socket once. Not as painful as the kneecap though..

+1 for subluxation of the patella with torn ligaments but why did they not reset it for 5 hours, the longer it'd out the more at risk of damage to the joint you'll be?

Really? But I didn't even mention the bit where they started the episiotomy (i.e. scalpel on your bits) before they realised the epidural hadn't kicked in ... while the baby's head was still lodged in my vag ...

A beautiful, lovely experience. (They did give me a local anaesthetic soon after ... not f*cking soon enough! A scalpel slicing through there is NOT something you EVER want to experience! It isn't fun. :()
    I knew about these things in theory but this thread is reinforcing it all :p
    C section or nothing thanks, at least then post birth bathroom visits aren't a reliving of the whole thing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Spinal tap.... pain to the power of 10

Advertisement