Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's The Worst Pain You've Ever Experienced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whitelight

AMKC wrote: »
    Worst pain ever. Try a twisted intestine. That was series pain I honestly thought I was going to die that it was not curable. Of course I did not know what it was at that stage just knew that I could not do a **** and was pucking my guts up. They told me before they put me under that it might have something to do with the gut. It was only after the operated on me and told me I had a twisted gut. Never again. I think even a kick in the balls or giving birth would be less painfull that that.

how the hell did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Gavin duck

whitelight wrote: »
    take it he's in hospital so, like I said took me 2 weeks but at his age hospital is the best place, the temperature can get very high. old folks hate to be away from home. poor man hope he gets better soon:(

A he's a fighter but hates the hospital he thinks that it's where u got to kick the bucket he went mad with the doctor and won't let them near him sure he's just one of the old stock hard as nails and some craic when he starts to tell the stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Coming off Effexor, the withdrawals were horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whitelight

Gavin duck wrote: »
    A he's a fighter but hates the hospital he thinks that it's where u got to kick the bucket he went mad with the doctor and won't let them near him sure he's just one of the old stock hard as nails and some craic when he starts to tell the stories

oh I know the type my dad was like that. their the ones that surprise you!! they make the rest of us look soft!! well you don't get to 90 if your not made of tough stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Standing on a nail and it going through the sole of my foot.

Snapping tendons in my ankle.

Tennis ball to the cock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Even the best of aul fells can get completely confused when they go into hospital and it can take a long time to get back to themselves (sometimes they just don't). Can see why they fight goin in as much as they usually do

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Full cup of Black coffee freshly poured knocked all the way across my bare thigh and towards my junk, my leg and my dick instantly started to swell up and blister before turning yellow and weep, had to stand in the shower for 3 hours to try and relieve the pain, had several panic attacks thinking my dick would get infected or be left disfigured, eventually went to the hospital and got a plastic wrapping melted on to the burn to protect it from infecting, worst week of my life not knowing how it would look once I got it off, have minimal scarring on my leg and the main man got away with no damage thank god

whitelight wrote: »
    oh I know the type my dad was like that. their the ones that surprise you!! they make the rest of us look soft!! well you don't get to 90 if your not made of tough stuff.

Still smokes his 20 woodbine and six cans of Guinness a day though

Still smokes his 20 woodbine and six cans of Guinness a day though

Plus they can't even smoke on hospital grounds anymore so if he wants a shnakey woodbine he'll have to walk to front gate of hospital or get a lift!!! I know it's a bad habit etc... But I think it's Very unfair to elderly like him that just love havin a smoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Tearing my hamstring

heldel00 wrote: »
    Plus they can't even smoke on hospital grounds anymore so if he wants a shnakey woodbine he'll have to walk to front gate of hospital or get a lift!!! I know it's a bad habit etc... But I think it's Very unfair to elderly like him that just love havin a smoke

That it he wonders out to the front door and puffs away

Maybe the rule is not being enforced in every hospital yet but my hospital even has Gestapo-style militia patrolling the hedges looking for grown adults having a fag. You actually can't even smoke in your car you have to drive off hospital grounds

heldel00 wrote: »
    Maybe the rule is not being enforced in every hospital yet but my hospital even has Gestapo-style militia patrolling the hedges looking for grown adults having a fag. You actually can't even smoke in your car you have to drive off hospital grounds

I think they sort of let it slip with the older people but ya ur right I have seen them going round in the major hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Wow - I can nearly say 'All of the above' - I must be very unfortunate!?!

The most that stand out in my mind are:-

1. Pilonidal sinus something or other which was in effect an ingrown hair in my rear - SERIOUSLY not a funny condition - being a waitress at the time and fell on my ass during work - ended up in hospital for an operation to remove same! YuKKKKKKK!

2. Childbirth without pain killing medication - All went well until the third stage when I seriously couldn't have cared less what I said, what I did or who got hurt in the process - actually kicked nurse in head with my leg by accident - felt VERY bad about that. Things I shouted at my husband - didn't!!!

Constipation - hospitalised once for same and it took 6 enemas(?) - is that what they're called - until all hell broke loose - Ahhhhhh, still remember the relief - ruffage all the way since that time !!!!

Do I win????

ElizaT33 wrote: »
    Wow - I can nearly say 'All of the above' - I must be very unfortunate!?!

The most that stand out in my mind are:-

1. Pilonidal sinus something or other which was in effect an ingrown hair in my rear - SERIOUSLY not a funny condition - being a waitress at the time and fell on my ass during work - ended up in hospital for an operation to remove same! YuKKKKKKK!

2. Childbirth without pain killing medication - All went well until the third stage when I seriously couldn't have cared less what I said, what I did or who got hurt in the process - actually kicked nurse in head with my leg by accident - felt VERY bad about that. Things I shouted at my husband - didn't!!!

Constipation - hospitalised once for same and it took 6 enemas(?) - is that what they're called - until all hell broke loose - Ahhhhhh, still remember the relief - ruffage all the way since that time !!!!

Do I win????

A well ur in the running for worst rear problem of the year though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

ryanf1 wrote: »
    That happened to my mum before. The painkillers required are at a level usually reserved for cancer patients.

Yeah my limbs went numb once and I sort of fell off the chair. I am not joking about that it actually happened. I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Yeah Renal colic sucks. Your poor mom! Hope she's better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yeah my limbs went numb once and I sort of fell off the chair. I am not joking about that it actually happened. I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Yeah Renal colic sucks. Your poor mom! Hope she's better.

I know well your not, she's been through a good bit as regards health things so has a pain tolerance higher than most. This one got the better of her though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    Went for a colonoscopy last year....its where they basically stick a tube with a pin hole camera up your arse

talk about bringing tears to my eyes....the pain was inscrutinating, up my hole and in my lower gut...like someone rammed a traffic cone up me
    eternal wrote: »
    I've had one and it doesn't hurt that much really.

well maybe the local anesthetic didn't kick in in time or the dose was too small....cause believe me the pain i felt that day was unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

fryup wrote: »
    well maybe the local anesthetic didn't kick in in time or the dose was too small....cause believe me the pain i felt that day was unreal
    Have you red hair? Apparently red haired people are more sensitive to pain.

A man with Kidney stones!
    Worse than giving birth!

Rolling around the floor in A&E, oblivious to everything but pain!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

No ,red hair means higher tolerance to pain Except for Thermal related pain.
    But Red hair also means greater amounts of anesthetic required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I don't think it's that they are more sensitive to pain but rather less susceptible to anesthetics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

Fell from 33 foot directly onto my hands that smashed thru my wrists and broke my forearms, my head was next, cracked open with a 7 inch hole.
    When I came to i was standing on my feet with a sound of a running tap in my ears which turned out to be the blood pouring out of my head.
    Somehow survived. and three years later only scar left to heal is my head...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Sounds awful was the pain un bearable

Worst pain I've ever experienced, I was vomiting up green bile and had a high fever. Good old morphine sorted me out though while I was waiting to get them removed. When I got to A&E I went from doubled over unable to speak to chatting up the doctor, who in my drugged up head was gorgeous, in the space of 5 minutes. I saw him again the day I was going home with no morphine in my system and he was minging. Morto!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Getting a discogram, that was one of the most painful experiences I ever had.

I've had far worse but when you feel the urge to Produce a Stool at an inconvenient time and have to hold it, it hurts a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

I've had far worse but when you feel the urge to Produce a Stool at an inconvenient time and have to hold it, it hurts a bit.

Who knew woodworking could be so painful......

Who knew woodworking could be so painful......

I was trying to be polite:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Last time I got a ro-sham-bo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Had to get a root canal done last year, was broke and held it off for a few months so went to one of the larger dental practises where it was a bit cheaper. Turns out it was infected and the dentist gave me the choice of taking antibiotics and coming back or try to get it started now. I went for the second option as the chain was a distance from home. With the infection, he couldnt numb the nerve properly. Horrible, horrible experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Were you under GA? My pain threshold isn't very high, having a blood test is about as much as I can handle.

No just a local. I also only had a local for a gum transplant. I wanted general for both but wasn't allowed :(

I have to have a small operation next week and I already know that thing they stick in your hand is going to really hurt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Getting a mass appendix taken out when I was 12, hurt my tummy soooooooooo much. :( Although the lovely, lovely morphine made everything better again. :)

I have to have a small operation next week and I already know that thing they stick in your hand is going to really hurt

They did that to me when I was getting my appendix out. I won't lie it was really sore, but I think if you know before hand it helps prepare you because it takes the shock factor out of it. And it really only hurst for a few seconds.

Oh & when I was even younger in playschool I fractured my tailbone (forget what it's actually called, a "cockassikicks" or something) & had to have a operation. I don't remember much about it except the surgeon asking me did I like the Irish football team (it was during Italia 90 :)) it's actually one of my earliest childhood memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

Had to get a hernia operation just above my groin a few years ago. Sweet baby jesus the pain after was unreal. Physically couldn't move and had no choice but to lie in the fetal position for weeks until the wound healed.

One of the dissolveable stitches didn't live up to its name and a few weeks after the operation I was left with a what looked like fishing wire sticking out of me. Pulling that out was a weird weird feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JDM Jack

Having an extreme case of tonsillitis. I had it for about two weeks. Eventually it was so bad I could barely breathe without wincing (not asthmatic) and the pus from the infection was turning my stomach, so I kept getting sick over and over. Once I get to an empty stomach it was just bile. This went on for about a day and my parents took me to an emergency GP that night who gave me a whole bunch of pills that temporarily stopped it. I went on strong antibiotics and it calmed down to about as bad as most people would get it. This was about the 16th to 19th of December during my Junior Cert year and I had to have have my tonsils removed three days before Christmas Day. Ruined the hols and the recovery was horrible.

There you go, my long winded and unnecessary description of the definition of pain :)

Abscess on my left titty!
    And then when the rough aul bitch of nurse came in two days later to pull out the bandages that they had packed into the wound! Holy hell. She was lucky I didn't punch her in the left titty!

Another one was when I fell of the side of the house (about a 15 foot drop) when I locked myself out of my house & tried to climb in the bathroom window. The drainpipe I was holding on to gave way & I feel on the ground face first knocking all the wind out of myself for about 30 seconds, luckily the ground was really softened up by heavy rain otherwise I might have killed myself.

• Advertisement

I honestly do not know how a human can tolerate getting wisdom teeth out.
    They gave me a pain blocker which wore off at exactly 3pm today and I felt as if there was a belt tied around my mouth. I quickly began to want to vomit the pain was so bad which o thankfully didn't but I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to drink some water to stop the nausea.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

When I was 15 I found a lump on my nut sack, turned out to be a cyst but had to have it removed. The lads swelled up the size of a football, I walked like I'd shat myself for a fortnight after and I couldn't manage a self loving session for about 3 months after which for a 15 year old is agony itself!

I've broken ribs, arms, a collarbone, ankle and multiple fingers but nothing compares to the nut surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I honestly do not know how a human can tolerate getting wisdom teeth out.
    They gave me a pain blocker which wore off at exactly 3pm today and I felt as if there was a belt tied around my mouth. I quickly began to want to vomit the pain was so bad which o thankfully didn't but I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to drink some water to stop the nausea.
    It's not so bad :) take the meds as prescribed and it should ease it. I found very cold yogurt from the fridge was brilliant. I couldn't take pain meds as I had to study immediately after surgery for a few days, and I survived! Just prepare for people asking where you got the bruises for :P

xLisaBx wrote: »
    It's not so bad :) take the meds as prescribed and it should ease it. I found very cold yogurt from the fridge was brilliant. I couldn't take pain meds as I had to study immediately after surgery for a few days, and I survived! Just prepare for people asking where you got the bruises for :P

I don't have many bruises (yet) but I look like I've golf balls attached to my cheeks! I have no problem taking one of the pain meds but the other WILL make you constipated if you take it so today I tried not to as I have been suffering since the op on Thursday, I also do tend that way at the best of times anyway. Anyway my attempt backfired and I ended up unable to speak I was in so much pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Childbirth without any pain relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Dry socket was the worst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I don't have many bruises (yet) but I look like I've golf balls attached to my cheeks! I have no problem taking one of the pain meds but the other WILL make you constipated if you take it so today I tried not to as I have been suffering since the op on Thursday, I also do tend that way at the best of times anyway. Anyway my attempt backfired and I ended up unable to speak I was in so much pain.
    Yeah the constipation for me was worse than the mouth pain. However I think I was constipated from the GA as I had no pain relief. Try to rest is another thing. Me cramming leaving cert chemistry was a poor idea :P
    If you're in that much pain I'd ask for different meds? Surely they have something that would agree with you more? Even if it's just nurofen plus.
    I'll never forget waking up, I'm pretty resistant to pain meds and anaesthesia so I wasn't numb. First thought was "well this will be a fun week"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_torsion

Eight years ago now.. a testicular torsion. One of your balls just twisting all by itself. It was as sore as it sounds.

Took almost three months to recover from the surgery fully.

- bo - wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_torsion

Eight years ago now.. a testicular torsion. One of your balls just twisting all by itself. It was as sore as it sounds.

Took almost three months to recover from the surgery fully.
    Yup had it when I was 16, it is very sore and I remember at the time the docs telling me wearing boxer shorts can be a factor, not sure how true it is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Childbirth without any pain relief.

I see your childbirth and raise you an ingrown toenail

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Yeah the constipation for me was worse than the mouth pain. However I think I was constipated from the GA as I had no pain relief. Try to rest is another thing. Me cramming leaving cert chemistry was a poor idea :P
    If you're in that much pain I'd ask for different meds? Surely they have something that would agree with you more? Even if it's just nurofen plus.
    I'll never forget waking up, I'm pretty resistant to pain meds and anaesthesia so I wasn't numb. First thought was "well this will be a fun week"

I think it could be a mixture really but with Codeine you can bet your house that you will get blocked up. I had an unrelated operation 5 years ago and was on Solpadiene which has about a third of the amount of codeine than I'm on this time and I didn't go to the toilet for 9 days after the surgery. Having said that I was under GA for 2 hrs as opposed to 30 minutes that time
    My mum gave me another tablet which took the edge off it and I'm back on top of it now:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement