Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's The Worst Pain You've Ever Experienced?

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I think it could be a mixture really but with Codeine you can bet your house that you will get blocked up. I had an unrelated operation 5 years ago and was on Solpadiene which has about a third of the amount of codeine than I'm on this time and I didn't go to the toilet for 9 days after the surgery. Having said that I was under GA for 2 hrs as opposed to 30 minutes that time
    My mum gave me another tablet which took the edge off it and I'm back on top of it now:)

Ah yeah, it's not the worst pain in the world anyway. I'd take it any day over getting shot with a hunting pellet gun in the eye haha. You'll be back to normal in a few days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Cluster headaches. Double vision, vomiting, and feeling like someone was hammering nails into my head. They happened every day for about 6 weeks, then gone for about 6 months, on and off for about 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Kas2010

I'd have labour pains over tooth ache any day. Currently curled up in a ball with wisdom tooth ache. Ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Kas2010 wrote: »
    I'd have labour pains over tooth ache any day. Currently curled up in a ball with wisdom tooth ache. Ouch

I agree completely. I had a root canal done after a tooth got nastily infected. If I had a choice I would definitely give birth again over the tooth pain and subsequent root canal. Hope the wisdom teeth calm down soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Maybe not the worst, but recently fecked up my knew pretty bad.

Torn ACL, torn Meniscus and damage to my MCL muscles. Not so bad now but when it happened, the pain was so bad i almost passed out every time i moved my knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭konline

Fcukin tooth ache? B*tch please!

I herniated 3 discs in my back in an idiotic attempt to get a simple 15 minute task completed a few minutes earlier.

Crippled isn't the strongest word there is to describe me for 18 months but I don't know how else to describe it. Couldn't do anything. Shower properly, get dressed, walk, drive, clean my house. Absolute hell.

Alright now though. Go Oxycontin!

Hi, May I know what treatment you got and how your pain was gone, please?
    I am going through similar pain, so hopefully your experience will help me.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

konline wrote: »
    Hi, May I know what treatment you got and how your pain was gone, please?
    I am going through similar pain, so hopefully your experience will help me.
    Thanks.

Surgery is the only way. Spent a fortune on physios, chiropractors, osteopaths, faith healer (that was money well spent), nothing except strong pain meds brought any relief.

But living on those things is no way to live so a surgery was the only option. Not near as good as I was before I hurt my back but the freedom of being able to drive and live a very very normal life is fantastic.

Get onto you're GP, get an MRI referral and take it from there. If the MRI shows something then you'll be referred to a surgeon. Don't wait around for an MRI on the public health system, go private (about €200). Things move very quickly when you stump up the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Nib wrote: »
    Enjoy your yellow card.

Ohh i'm sure he's wallowing in pain in a ditch somewhere, regretting every minute of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Was on holiday in Spain, and after swimming I got a nasty ear infection... became so inflamed, from the inner ear to the outside, was incredibly painful... but worst was when I had to sneeze or cough, or any sudden movement, and it felt like someone drove a steak knife through my head all the while twisting and churning away.

It was bad enough to completely put me off swimming ever again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Pancreatitis...would 100 percent not worse this on my worst enemy.

• Advertisement

Toothache. I got some work done and an extraction about 2 years ago. The pain was quite severe afterwards so thought I had dry socket. Back I go to the dentist who basically said my pain threshold is low 🙄 and all was fine.

A week of agony and I was back. Turned out there was an abscess growing in the tooth next to the one that was removed and the removal....I don't know...did something. Loads of antibiotics and more painkillers. They didn't even make a dent. Tooth came out in the end.

I've never known pain like it and the fact that no painkillers would take it away was scary. It's interesting that there are so few effective pain relievers in this age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

headaches / migraines to the point of being unable to drive, sleep or function…. Went on for years, was the symptoms of a condition that went undiagnosed for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Gallstones.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Shingles.

I've had 3 kids with no epidural, a couple of incredibly bad ear infections, tonsillitis several times...but shingles beats them all, hands down.It is horrible pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Was when I fractured a rib due to falling over after a drunken night out. I woke up the next morning unable to move as any movement at all felt like being stabbed. Just reaching for the mobile to call for help was a drama in itself no mind going down the stairs and into my mates car to take me to A&E. I almost passed out in the waiting room. The rest is a blur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Got hit by a truck and then the road very shortly after back in March whilst out cycling. The 10 minutes before the paramedics got the good drugs into me were pretty damn painful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Was shot point blank with a sawn off barelli shotgun. In the face .

Was sore enough now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Broken rib having slipped going down the stairs carrying the young lad. Couldn't let him go so couldn't use my hands to break the fall.

I'll never forget the next few nights trying to sleep. There's nothing that can be done but painkillers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've had a burst eardrum on two separate occasions. The ears can be very painful. Like blades as you say. You lose your balance somewhat as well with a burst eardrum for a while so constantly nauseated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

I tore my pictorial muscle carrying a bucket of coal Christmas morning a few years ago. Still not sure how it even happened, just bad luck I suppose. It was honestly the worst pain I’ve ever experienced. The initial pain was so bad I almost passed out, it felt like I had been stabbed before my body went into shock.

I had to wait a few days for surgery and it was probably 8 or 9 months before I was fully right after it. I’m shivering just thinking back on it now.

I broke a couple of ribs a few days before going on my holidays a few years ago. Got the all clear to fly the morning we were going and I thought a bit of heat would help brighten up my mood. I’ll never forget having to try and get up from lying down on a sun lounger on the beach. I couldn’t breathe and was in floods of tears. My wife got so annoyed with me complaining she left me to fend for myself. Had to get two young lads about 10 years of age to pull me up off the bed. Awful, awful pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Got ran over by an Articulated lorry a few year’s ago, I can still remember the feeling off him being reversed off my legs. Lost one below the knee and have a replaced knee in the other. Next to that the searing pain of having to stand on the multi fractured knee in an x-fix cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Car crash leading to subsequent brain injury and chronic pain, headaches etc that no medication makes a useful difference to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Currently in hospital in recovery for a double fracture to the skull but trust me the worst pain I ever had was breaking my ankle playing football about 30 years ago.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Tough one, dry socket after wisdom tooth removal was bad....But the codeine did the trick. Don't remember it being that bad. That was two years ago.

Broken and dislocated shoulder last year due to a seizure.....That was bad. In particular pre-surgery. Again it was all about getting and keeping the pain meds in me once the surgery was complete. Was in Tallaght hospital for a week so they kept me well hooked up.

OK the actual worst that lasted days - Got a circumcision for medical reason when I was 23..."It" then got infected from the surgery. Horrific and the antibiotics took a few of days to kick in (when I finally got them).

Pain meds didn't do the job. When I think back, it was the fact that I didn't get strong enough meds.

I remember after work for that week (again I should have taken a week or two off post surgery when I think back - I'm 39 now), going for pints every day with the office lush. Booze I found was the best way to dull the pain. Actually sitting here wincing now thinking of it.....It is something I must have repressed a lot over the years! Yeesh....

Advertisement