Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping disc drives ps3 1st and 2nd gen

Options
  • 30-08-2014 5:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I've a first gen ps3 that got the YLOD.
    My brother in law has a second gen that the disc drive stopped working, so he bought a ps4 and gave me his ps3 for parts.

What Im wondering is, is it at all possible to swap my 1st gen drive into his 2nd gen console, Im thinking not after having a quick look at both.

Anybody able to shed some light this for me.

Thanks boards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

There is a small chance. Let me know CECH numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Gave it a go and yes indeed they can be swapped, unfortunately though it turns out that my laser doesnt work so I thought I would then try swap these between the 2 drives. The laser mechs and lasers are not interchangeable between the 2 models unfortunately. So its off to ebay with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

If drives are same you can swap lasers and mechs between. The only thing you can't swap straight away is logic board because it need to be married to new motherboard first.

Advertisement