Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burnley v Man Utd 12.45pm Kick off BT Sport 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

That was criminal by Mata!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Fletcher on a yellow in the first half with no bench cover (well Anderson) is an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

CSF wrote: »
    Hard to grasp what Van Gaal is aiming for with his approach here

Take a look at the bench though, and options available, I'm struggling to see what else he can do, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mata Wtf shít pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Knex. wrote: »
    Take a look at the bench though, and options available, I'm struggling to see what else he can do, really.

Change the formation. 4 at the back, shuffle around a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Evans would want to concentrate on his own job first before he starts telling DDG what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Evans would want to concentrate on his own job first before he starts telling DDG what to do.

He's right. De Gea has been useless this season coming off his line. The difference between him and Courtois has been huge in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Just awful. Players look light, afraid of a challenge, players like Mata don't want to get stuck in and reverting to long balls which Burnley are lapping up.

• Fs surely a push

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Looked a penalty to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

diabolical

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Bloody dive again!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Looked a penalty on Young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

This is horrific.

Three poor CBs passing the ball to each other before bogging aimlessly forward.

Di Maria must have a sore neck by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Lovely dive from Young there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Few bright moments from Di Maria aside, piss poor from United.

****ing hell RVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Some giving Young's diving skill far too much credit, but then people blinded by bias and looking to inflame will do that.

Ashley Young would really wanna cop on. You'd literally have to be 100% sure to give a penalty to him at this stage because he dives pretty much every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Match

42% Ball Possession 58%
    6 Goal Attempts 1
    2 Shots on Goal 1
    2 Shots off Goal 0
    2 Blocked Shots 0

Change the formation. 4 at the back, shuffle around a bit.

There's nobody really to play the fullback positions.

There's only James on the bench, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Searching for positives from that first half.

Hmm, at least we didn't concede.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

poor from united, 4-3-3 second half plz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I wish we'd have cashed in on RVP in the summer and bought someone a little more mobile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is welbeck on the bench? I'd bring him on for van persie, and Adnan on for Young. Go 442.

I'd even have Anderson on for fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Stonewall penalty. Michael Owen is a terrible co-commentator.

We've seen a few lovely glimpses of magic from Di Maria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I wish we'd have cashed in on RVP in the summer and bought someone a little more mobile.

Were clubs linked with him?

Knex. wrote: »
    There's nobody really to play the fullback positions.

There's only James on the bench, to be fair.

Blackett left, Valencia right perhaps? Think that's what was done against Swansea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Hate seeing sh1te like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

If it was anyone but LVG, you would be thinking this guy doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

He needs to lose the 3 at the back. I wonder if he's too stubborn to do so.

Di Maria looks quality. The rest look poor. RVP especially.

• Advertisement

Blackett left, Valencia right perhaps? Think that's what was done against Swansea

Suppose, doesn't exactly inspire confidence though!

Even if United had Carrick, Herrera, of Fellaini on the bench, they could do that, sub on one of those three, push Di Maria out wide, and get a bit more shape and balance to the team, going 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1, or something.

As things stand though, I do think LVG's hands are a little tied in terms of options available to him.

Fescue wrote: »
    If it was anyone but LVG, you would be thinking this guy doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

He needs to lose the 3 at the back. I wonder if he's too stubborn to do so.

Di Maria looks quality. The rest look poor. RVP especially.

I think with Di Maria it was largely a 5-10 minute spell of brilliance, faded out as the half went on. RVP is having a nightmare yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Is welbeck on the bench? I'd bring him on for van persie, and Adnan on for Young. Go 442.

I'd even have Anderson on for fletcher.

Fletcher is bad but no way should anderson see the field unless theres an injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ashley Young would really wanna cop on. You'd literally have to be 100% sure to give a penalty to him at this stage because he dives pretty much every time.

He was shoved in the side it was no dive whether or not it was a penalty is debatable, but if it was anybody besides Young nobody would be calling it a dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

4-4-2 is needed. We look clueless at the moment.

• Omg Evans just watched the replay of the suicide backpass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

1408200926836_wps_1_no_idea_jpg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

This system from Van Gaal just is not working with the current players at his disposal. I'd really like to see him change it. The main problem I can see is that we have no central midfield. Di Maria, Mata, Rooney and Van Persie are all staying in attacking positions, that leaves just Fletcher in the center. When the centre backs have the ball and look to pass to midfield the Burnley players are just blocking the path to Fletcher. That only leaves the option of a long ball or a ball square to the other centre backs. As a result Blackett and Evans are pushing very wide to give an option for a pass, however if they get the ball there they are too far wide to have the option of a pass on up the line to the wing backs. So again the only option is a ball to Fletcher, or a long ball which is what we've been doing.

I'd like to see us go 4-4-2. Put Blackett left back and Valencia right back, Young on the right wing, Di Maria on the left wing. Fletcher and Mata in the centre and Rooney and RVP up front. I think that shape will work much better against this Burnley team and Di Maria would simply skin their right back and whip balls in to the box all day long. It's abandoning LVG's system but I think we need results more right now than practising his system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Not sure how Ashley Young continues to get a game. There's not many doing themselves any favours out there but he's truly awful.

Not a lot being shown from Mata, Rooney or RvP. Di Maria has looked good at least. Hard to see goals coming based on that first half performance.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    He was shoved in the side it was no dive whether or not it was a penalty is debatable, but if it was anybody besides Young nobody would be calling it a dive.

Very very lightly. Not enough for him to be flinging himself to the ground like that.

I actually think there's a case for it to be a penalty looking back at it, but Young doesn't help the case.

• 1408200926836_wps_1_no_idea_jpg.jpg

I'm looking forward to the spurs game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

So far still looking a bit shaky and lacking confidence, Di Maria however seems to be offering more going forward and is trying to thread the passes through. Hopefully one does.

De Gea has been brilliant I thought, but Evans has been very shaky in my mind. Still seem to be lacking that bit of confidence but hopefully United can get a goal to settle into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Too many individual and unforced errors. The back line is just a calamity, every one of them looks nervous. Roll on the international break, hopefully sneak a result out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Di Maria aside,it's the same old,same old from United.Some shocking stuff at the back.Nothing to do with the system,it's just carelessness.
    Fletcher has been poor in midfield,at times it looks as if Di Maria is on his own there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the spurs game
    Me too :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

1408200926836_wps_1_no_idea_jpg.jpg

The thing is, he does have an idea what he's doing, the players just aren't up to speed with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

zerks wrote: »
    Di Maria aside,it's the same old,same old from United.Some shocking stuff at the back.Nothing to do with the system,it's just carelessness.
    Fletcher has been poor in midfield,at times it looks as if Di Maria is on his own there.

To be fair he's on his own there as Mata and Di Maria run forward. Has either made a tackle or won back possesion once during the first half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Too many individual and unforced errors. The back line is just a calamity, every one of them looks nervous. Roll on the international break, hopefully sneak a result out of this.

The system just puts pressure on the defenders. All this passing sideways while getting closed down is going to cause unforced errors i just don't see the benefit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

zerks wrote: »

The system exacerbates the issue. Instead of having an extra midfielder who has some decent passing and vision, we have an extra CB who, naturally, doesn't have the passing ability or vision necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The thing is, he does have an idea what he's doing, the players just aren't up to speed with it.

It is his system they are playing though, surely if its not working its HIS call to change it

• 3-5-2 it is. Again for 2nd half

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement