Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

efibre maximum distance from cabinet

Options
  • 30-08-2014 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi what is the maximum distance from the nearest cabinet that efibre bb will work ? I live 3 mles from my nearest cabinet  and wondering will I ever be able to receive efibre bb. 

I currently receive1.5 mbps from my phoneline .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭MANSFIELD

Anyone know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

MANSFIELD wrote: »
    Hi what is the maximum distance from the nearest cabinet that efibre bb will work ? I live 3 mles from my nearest cabinet  and wondering will I ever be able to receive efibre bb. 

I currently receive1.5 mbps from my phoneline .
    Hi MANSFIELD

The max distance is 2KM from the cabinet.

Thanks
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Hi Alan

I am 1.6 km from the new efibre cabinet which is either EFD1_001 or EFD1_005 in Johnstownbridge. This was confirmed by an engineer working on the cabinets. I signed up with Eircom over one year ago as i was assured by an Eircom sales person that i could avail of efibre broadband. However when I check my line it is not available. Given the distance to cabinet, I am not expecting anything near 100mb but I would have expected something in the region of 10 to 20mb which would be a huge leap forward compared to the very unreliable 1.5 to 3 mb currently being experienced. If it is available within 2km distance from the cabinet, why am I constantly being told that my line is not suitable? I am on the verge of cancelling my contract with Eircom even though competing companies cannot provide any better product. I feel that I have been mis-sold this service and no longer want anything to do with Eircom if all they can provide me is the same crappy product as my previous provider. What steps do I need to take to get connected to efibre if indeed it is available within 2km from cabinet? The normal channels do not appear to work as all they can tell me is that "eFibre is not available yet in your area" even though I am connected to an eFibre enabled cabinet.

Please advise.

Jarlath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You might not be connected to a cabinet even though there's one near by.

Often older areas, especially those built before the 1970s, seem to be served directly from exchanges in some areas. It's all very much dependant on the history of the wiring in your area.

Bear in mind the local phone wiring wasn't ever planned for FTTC. It's just a happy coincidence that most areas are actually fed from local distribution cabinets.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You might not be connected to a cabinet even though there's one near by.

Often older areas, especially those built before the 1970s, seem to be served directly from exchanges in some areas. It's all very much dependant on the history of the wiring in your area.

Bear in mind the local phone wiring wasn't ever planned for FTTC. It's just a happy coincidence that most areas are actually fed from local distribution cabinets.
    Hi Spacetime,

I am connected to one of the cabinets listed above. I talked to an engineer working on them and he confirmed that my number was connected, pointed out the cabinet.

• Advertisement

galljga1 wrote: »
    Hi Alan

I am 1.6 km from the new efibre cabinet which is either EFD1_001 or EFD1_005 in Johnstownbridge. This was confirmed by an engineer working on the cabinets. I signed up with Eircom over one year ago as i was assured by an Eircom sales person that i could avail of efibre broadband. However when I check my line it is not available. Given the distance to cabinet, I am not expecting anything near 100mb but I would have expected something in the region of 10 to 20mb which would be a huge leap forward compared to the very unreliable 1.5 to 3 mb currently being experienced. If it is available within 2km distance from the cabinet, why am I constantly being told that my line is not suitable? I am on the verge of cancelling my contract with Eircom even though competing companies cannot provide any better product. I feel that I have been mis-sold this service and no longer want anything to do with Eircom if all they can provide me is the same crappy product as my previous provider. What steps do I need to take to get connected to efibre if indeed it is available within 2km from cabinet? The normal channels do not appear to work as all they can tell me is that "eFibre is not available yet in your area" even though I am connected to an eFibre enabled cabinet.

Please advise.

Jarlath
    HI galljga1

Apologies for the delays in responding - I have not been available for the pas week. Do please feel free to PM me your land line number and I'll get back as soon as I can (due to backlog may not be today I'm afraid)

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan

I have PMed you and am still awaiting a reply.

Regards

Jarlath

Original query below

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You may be 1.6 km from the cabinet as the crow flies, but in reality phone lines don't span straight lines, they follow footpaths and poles, they might even go backwards at points. The quality of the line mightn't be great either, outside or in your house.

TheChizler wrote: »
    You may be 1.6 km from the cabinet as the crow flies, but in reality phone lines don't span straight lines, they follow footpaths and poles, they might even go backwards at points. The quality of the line mightn't be great either, outside or in your house.
    Thanks Chizler,
    I'm living in hope. The distance is via the road but I suppose the path the wire took would have depended on developments in the area over a protracted period and the actual distance to cabinet could be much greater.

Any way of actually finding this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TheChizler wrote: »
    Thanks Chizler,
    I'm living in hope. The distance is via the road but I suppose the path the wire took would have depended on developments in the area over a protracted period and the actual distance to cabinet could be much greater.

Any way of actually finding this out?
    If you knew the Tx signal power of the adsl2+ server equipment in the exchange and measured what you receive on the modem you could get a maximum line length, as signal attenuation is directly related to line length (in a perfect line). The modem normally gives you the calculated attenuation in a stats page, which is based on a default exchange Tx power of -13 dBm, you'd have to ask an eircom engineer if this is what actually is set or not! You can put this attenuation into the calculator here to estimate your line length. Emphasis on 'estimate'.

• Advertisement

Hi Alan

Regards

Jarlath

Original query below

Hi Jarlath,

I have had confirmation from our efibre networks team your line is too far from the cabinet to avail of efibre speeds. Indeed your line is connected but due to the distance the max speed efibre can offer you is less than 1Mb and as a result this cannot be supplied.

While the distance may be within the 2Km range lines are not wired as the crow flies which is certainly the case in this example. Unfortunately eircom will be unable to offer you efibre broadband and I'm also very sorry to confirm that we will be unable to offer you an indication of when to expect efibre broadband.

I really wish I could offer you better news Jarlath, apologies for the disappointment.

AL

Hi Alan

Regards

Jarlath

Original query below

Hi Jarlath,

I have had confirmation from our efibre networks team your line is too far from the cabinet to avail of efibre speeds. Indeed your line is connected but due to the distance the max speed efibre can offer you is less than 1Mb and as a result this cannot be supplied.

While the distance may be within the 2Km range lines are not wired as the crow flies which is certainly the case in this example. Unfortunately eircom will be unable to offer you efibre broadband and I'm also very sorry to confirm that we will be unable to offer you an indication of when to expect efibre broadband.

I really wish I could offer you better news Jarlath, apologies for the disappointment.

AL
    All very well and good Alan but I am very disappointed in the way Eircom sold this to me. I rejoined Eircom after being told that efibre would be available to me in March 2014. It was eventually available in my area in October/November 2014 but looks like I will never get it with current technology.
    @d off with Eircom.This is a clear case of selling a service under false pretenses.

Hi Alan

Regards

Jarlath

Original query below

Hi Jarlath,

AL
    All very well and good Alan but I am very disappointed in the way Eircom sold this to me. I rejoined Eircom after being told that efibre would be available to me in March 2014. It was eventually available in my area in October/November 2014 but looks like I will never get it with current technology.
    @d off with Eircom.This is a clear case of selling a service under false pretenses.
    Hello galljga1

I can fully understand your feelings with this and apologies for the inconvenience this has caused. While efibre is not assured in your existing terms and conditions of service I do understand why you feel this way. If you would like to explore cancelling your account without penalty on reflection of eircoms price increase please contact eircom cancellations on free phone 1901.

Thanks
    Al

Shall be doing so

Shall be doing so
    No problem galljga1

I'm sorry I could not offer you better news

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement