Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gael scoil

Options
  • 30-08-2014 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

How hard would it be to make transition from primary school to an all irish secondary
    Secondary school say quite doable but I would have concerns.
    Just wondering if any one did it and how did they manage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Was the primary school in English or a Gaelscoil?

I'd imagine it'd depend on their level of Irish. You'd need a fairly good understanding of Irish to be able for a Gaelcholaiste I'd assume. Of course it'd get better as they went there but you'd want a good grasp before starting. Anyone who could do HL Irish in first year should be okay.

I came from a Gaelscoil but went to an English Secondary School and the level of Irish I (and my other classmates from my primary school) had compared to some of our fellow classmates from English speaking primary schools, was a fairly big difference.

That being said though, if they can manage a Gaelcholaiste, go for it. Irish will be a simple subject for them and I'm sure they'd do just as well in their other subjects as they would in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

very manageable if you prepared to put in a little bit of extra effort. 2 of my kids did it and while the initial few weeks were a bit difficult, by mid term parent teacher meetings and definitely by christmas tests, the teachers didn't know who had come from english or irish primaries. we had spoken about getting the english versions of the text books but didn't need to. most teachers had handouts to help the students and even some of the the books have dictionary of phrases at end of chapters.

Advertisement