Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ipad stolen

• 30-08-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

My child's ipad 2 has been stolen from my house along with multiple other items. They even took food from my fridge. My daughter has a severe disability & uses the ipad for communication.

There is no password on it but the apple itunes is used on another device. Can I use the serial number to get it blocked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

If it's running iOS 7, it'll be useless in the hands of a thief. If not, unfortunately they have a new iPad.

Try logging onto iCloud.com and using Find My iPad to see it, and remotely wipe it. Remember if you wipe it you won't be able to see where it is.

Sorry to hear about things like this, the fact that they even took food from your fridge is horrible to even think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Zcott wrote: »
    If it's running iOS 7, it'll be useless in the hands of a thief. If not, unfortunately they have a new iPad.

Try logging onto iCloud.com and using Find My iPad to see it, and remotely wipe it. Remember if you wipe it you won't be able to see where it is.

Sorry to hear about things like this, the fact that they even took food from your fridge is horrible to even think about.

I am not sure if ios7 is on it but if it is how do I wipe it. I do have the serial number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Knine wrote: »
    I am not sure if ios7 is on it but if it is how do I wipe it. I do have the serial number.

Can you use the locate function and give info to the guards?

Head over to iCloud.com on a browser and sign in with your Apple ID. If it's a 3G iPad it might show up, but if it's a wifi iPad you'll need to hope they connect it to a wifi network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 mocathain

theres no way apple can block it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Don't go wiping it right away if you're not sure if you're not sure if the locate tool is switched on. You won't be able to locate it once it's been wiped.

Contact the gardai and ask the person that set up the ipad what way they set it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭OU812

The only thing you can do & this is assuming you set up findmyphone on it is to locate & remotely wipe it.

The fact that it's a kids one means there's probably nothing of value on it.

However, if it's uploading photos to iCloud, you may get a photo of them.

Not got icloud or find my iphone on it. Ony my daughter used it.

The next one will have thats for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Just as an FYI. The find my iPhone app is useless to have on a device unless you want to look for another one. The setting for find my iPhone is in settings in iCloud settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Not got icloud or find my iphone on it. Ony my daughter used it.

The next one will have thats for sure

If you downloaded any apps onto it, it does have an icloud account.

Go to http://www.icloud.com/ on a computer and sign in with the same account details as you did on the ipad and see if you can locate it or wipe it.

• Advertisement

Go to http://www.icloud.com/ on a computer and sign in with the same account details as you did on the ipad and see if you can locate it or wipe it.

Yep have dowloaded Apps onto it. I just logged on & found 2 other devices but the stolen one is not showing.

If they connect to wifi could it then be seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yep have dowloaded Apps onto it. I just logged on & found 2 other devices but the stolen one is not showing.

If they connect to wifi could it then be seen?

Yeah,

Then it will be seen, I wouldn't wipe it for the next few days in case it does crop up on some WiFi somewhere, then you have something to go with on the burglary...

Fieldog wrote: »
    Yeah,

Then it will be seen, I wouldn't wipe it for the next few days in case it does crop up on some WiFi somewhere, then you have something to go with on the burglary...

Brilliant thanks. I can't wipe it anyhow until I can see it. I will just have to keep checking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Brilliant thanks. I can't wipe it anyhow until I can see it. I will just have to keep checking.

Hope you have some luck with this. Sorry that it has happened to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sezyboo

How awful. My hubby works as an apple genius and I will ask him when he gets home

I rang Apple & the guy seemed to think unless icloud or find my iphone was turned on it would not show up.

I can still ask him if you like because the Apple Store deal with this stuff all the time. He will be home at around 8 and I will ask and see.
    Oh and if there is an itunes store on it change the password so that you cannot be billed for stuff they download. You can do this on your computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Was there Gmail or Facebook on it?

Is so you can check the IP addresses that they've accessed from.

My older daughter had to remove Facebook from it as the little lady was unknown to us using Facebook & sharing all sorts of stuff. We only realised the account had not been hacked when the little offender started liking Barney & Elmo pages.

Yes please would be delighted with any info at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Not necessarily, You can have an iTunes account and not have an iCloud account.

Unfortunately though if the iPad doesn't show up as a device in iCloud then I don't think iCloud was ever enabled on it.

• Advertisement

I asked him and he said the only thing is the icloud thingie otherwise they can not follow it up. I would make sure that the ipad is registered under your name in Apple and that way they can put a note on the account if someone else tries to ring looking for info about how to work things etc.

I got my ipad back this morning thanks to the local community. I have promptly set up the latest update & icloud.

Thank you for all your help yesterday.

That is great news. :-)

Great to hear. Best change your locks too...

Zcott wrote: »
    Great to hear. Best change your locks too...

Locks already done because they took my door keys too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I got my ipad back this morning thanks to the local community. I have promptly set up the latest update & icloud.

Thank you for all your help yesterday.
    Brill! How did this happen?!

Advertisement