Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering buying electric engine

Options
  • 30-08-2014 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine is thinking of investing in an electric boat engine and was wondering if someone could recommend one that will take 3 people and will last the day, roughly 6 hours?
    What size battery would he need to buy to last 6 hours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

fussyonion wrote: »
    Friend of mine is thinking of investing in an electric boat engine and was wondering if someone could recommend one that will take 3 people and will last the day, roughly 6 hours?
    What size battery would he need to buy to last 6 hours?

An elec engine is only as good as the battery that powers it.
    A good deep cycle leisure battery is a must. Car batteries are not good enough.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

With a 12v battery I think the biggest motor you can get is about 54 Lbs roughly 2hp, not very much if you have 3 lads working like sails when the wind picks up:) If you go with 24 volts you will be spending big money on the battery and motor :eek: I think it's better to stick with a petrol and maybe use an electric for a bit of trolling or as a back up motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Good marine battery is about 100 quid tho ya might get one for less. I have 54lb and wouldn't trust it pushing a lakeboat for anything other than lining up a drift (very useful), or sliding along a shoreline if you're fishing any of the western lakes.
    I've used it on Roundwood and it pushed two of us along fine. You'd need a very big battery to run it for six hours and I don't see it pushing three in any sort of wave. Is good for trolling on a calm day.
    A small solar panel is handy with the battery. Will trickle a charge in through the day.

Advertisement