Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skips for household waste disposal

Options
  • 30-08-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure where to post this, so I thought I'd start here and be moved if need be.
    There was a local filling station in town which was offering a great household waste dispoal service. Basically, a large blue container was parked up by their forecourt, you paid a fiver for a token which would open the hatch, and you could put in about one large and one small bin liner full of waste.
    It was a really economical way to get rid of household waste for those of us who don't need a weekly bin collection.
    But sadly, the service is no more. For some reason the skip has been removed.
    I know for sure that I've seen the same idea operating somewhere else, but I can't think where it was.
    Does anyone know of a similar scheme operating anywhere in between West Cork and the city?
    Let me know if you do! Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

There's a similar waste disposal container in the car park of the Co-Op Superstore in Carrigaline.
    Actually looking at the website there is a few around Cork, www.bigbin.ie
    Haven't used it myself but it sounds like what yo described

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭tony glenn

Many thanks, I've mailed 'em suggesting they head down to West Cork...... asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

There is one in the garage just before skibb.

Not any more...that's why I started this thread LOL !

Havent been down there in a few weeks,wonder are they not paying for themselves?

• Advertisement

The skip was always busy and very well-used. Apparently, the council suddenly demanded planning permission, and there were delays etc that made it no longer feasible.
    Nice one, council Now we have to drive to Schull and spend more than twice as much plus petrol. Is it any wonder some people are dumping their waste on the roadside? Even the re-cycling centre in Skibb is closed on Saturdays, when most people are off work. Duh!
    Still, at least there's a rusting monstrosity in the middle of the town....the new 'Art' Centre. Maybe we should dump the rubbish there....
    it couldn't look any worse.

Is that the finished look of that place:(

Yep, that's it. The majority of the townsfolk can't believe it ended up so big and so ugly, and we hate it. The 'art-loving' minority thinks it super, and that's what counts. There's not enough money to finish it, but the rusty plates are for real.
    So, we can't have a Tesco, a swimming pool or a cinema. Or even a Big Bin. But we can sit and gaze at the 'Foxy Box' as it's now known!

Advertisement