Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on these bikes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

They are all great bikes by recognised names. I was looking at the very same myself recently :D

I ended up settling on the Rose. As my first road bike I think I'd feel more comfortable getting into things on that instead of a full carbon bike. Knowing my luck I'd wipe out on the carbon and smash the frame to bits.

Either way they are all great bikes but I think you might want to avoid full carbon for your first road bike.

If you go with the Rose make sure to sign up for their VIP loyalty card first. You get 300 points as a new customer and when you order a bike for 1000euro you'll get 2000 points.

Think it works out at about 23euro to spend on extra kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

The ribble looks good value to me well specked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Many people have posted very similar choices here in the past couple of years. I know because I was one of them. In the end I went with the Canyon over the Rose. Others have gone the other way.
    You won't go wrong with either one as a first road bike, excellent bikes for the price. There's almost nothing to split them on spec so it'll come down to aesthetics; in which case the Canyon wins!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

The Canyon is out of stock, no idea when it's due back in stock either

Rose looks a good option

I'm not sure about these Ribble/Planet X bikes, they look really nice, but are they a bit tacky looking too? I wonder how they handle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

They are all great bikes by recognised names. I was looking at the very same myself recently :D

I ended up settling on the Rose. As my first road bike I think I'd feel more comfortable getting into things on that instead of a full carbon bike. Knowing my luck I'd wipe out on the carbon and smash the frame to bits.

Either way they are all great bikes but I think you might want to avoid full carbon for your first road bike.

If you go with the Rose make sure to sign up for their VIP loyalty card first. You get 300 points as a new customer and when you order a bike for 1000euro you'll get 2000 points.

Think it works out at about 23euro to spend on extra kit.
    I must be blind. I can't see a link for this on their site

• Advertisement

http:// www. rosebikes. com/ content/ services/ rose-card

http:// www. rosebikes. com/ content/ services/ rose-card

EDIT: Just remove the spaces in the above link. I can't post links as a new member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I posted this to a similar query last week; the Canyon 2014 range will be running out now. I bought mine about this time last year and it was the first of the 2014 range.
    I'd expect the Canyon 2015 range to launch any day now; with prices back up to EU999.
    Could be worth seeing what's new; probably just a new colour scheme, maybe an 11speed cassette?

I think I will hang and wait so and see what Canyon will launch. They seem to be running low on 2014 M/L sizes anyway

• Advertisement

Yeah, it seems mad that you pretty much can't buy a M or L bike in the 900-1400 price range from them. I wanted to buy a Canyon with 105 or Ultegra and just wasn't available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The 1,699 Canyon AL SLX is really decent bike, very well specced. I know it's a good bit over budget but you get some real quality for the extra money.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3581#

Inquitus wrote: »
    The 1,699 Canyon AL SLX is really decent bike, very well specced. I know it's a good bit over budget but you get some real quality for the extra money.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3581#

That's true...if you're looking for a carbon frame equivalent with the same spec you could try the Rose Xeon CSL-3000 http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-csl-3000-2014/aid:674696 It's now full Ultegra and 100 cheaper

That's true...if you're looking for a carbon frame equivalent with the same spec you could try the Rose Xeon CSL-3000 http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-csl-3000-2014/aid:674696 It's now full Ultegra and 100 cheaper

Aye the Canyon has better wheels mind by about 200 yoyos worth, both bikes represent excellent value and even though the canyon is Aluminium it really is a very high end specimen and very light to boot.

It's a real shame that most companies won't allow people to buy online for the BTW, alot of the savings generated by the tax incentive are eaten up by the 10% taken by various providers One for All etc etc and the fact that a LBS can't compete with the likes of Canyon and Rose in delivering real value at the B2W pricepoint.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye the Canyon has better wheels mind by about 200 yoyos worth, both bikes represent excellent value and even though the canyon is Aluminium it really is a very high end specimen and very light to boot.

Aren't they both Kysrium Equipe S WTS? Agreed they are both nice bikes!

Aren't they both Kysrium Equipe S WTS? Agreed they are both nice bikes!

No the Canyon has Krysium Elite S WTS 650-700 yoyos v the Equipes at @ 450

I would love them but they're too good of a bike for my first road bike, and I just can't stretch the budget to 1500-1700euro. 1000/1100euro is top end of my budget. Any other suggestions?

GeneralC wrote: »
    I would love them but they're too good of a bike for my first road bike, and I just can't stretch the budget to 1500-1700euro. 1000/1100euro is top end of my budget. Any other suggestions?

I'd hang on for the canyon al 2015 if I was you. It'll have the 5800 105

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

GeneralC wrote:

I was looking at Rose for same reason. However 2015 range of cube has a price drop meaning you can get a 105 based (peloton race) road bike from LBS for 1k. May not be as super light as rose or canyon(or as standout) but for me as a first time road bike buyer was safer option with similar kit level and price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Good advice there. In the next 1/2 months you are going to see some price drops on the 2014 stock too.

Any idea when they're being launched?

https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=10110#

Just came back in stock.. 5700 105 at a price tag of 899euro

or would the new Rose SL model be a better choice?

GeneralC wrote: »
    https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=10110#

Just came back in stock.. 5700 105 at a price tag of 899euro

or would the new Rose SL model be a better choice?

The rose SL has the 5800, apart from that there's little to choose between the two I would have thought. So pay 100 euro more for the newer model is basically what it comes down to, if you consider the two frames pretty similar.

Advertisement